Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Beany

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Game design: Engines

Hello

I am 16 and hope to go into game design. My main experince of it is using various engines and editors. I mainly use Unreal, and all the smaller engines within it. Although i have played about in: the crysis sandbox thing, oblivion construction set and yoyo's game maker.
I wondered to what extent this would be helpful to an employer or game company in general. Also since different companies seem to vary in what they use or purchase an editor for a specifc game would i be expected to know how each one works?
Beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
I wondered to what extent this would be helpful to an employer or game company in general.
Very. You are learning how to use common middleware engines to create your own games.

Quote:
Also since different companies seem to vary in what they use or purchase an editor for a specifc game would i be expected to know how each one works?
You will be expected to be at least be familiar in using a 'game' editor tool regardless of whether it is in-house or an off the shelf product. Basically, if you used one level editing tool, you be expected to be able to transfer your skills to another editor that you have never seen before. 'Learn how to use the tool but not just the tool itself.'
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Beany

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

thanks for the advice. Also do you think i should start making a portfolio now or save it for when my skills advance.
Beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
thanks for the advice. Also do you think i should start making a portfolio now or save it for when my skills advance.
Personally speaking, the latter. You are not going to start hunting for jobs until you are at least 21.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote