Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Default Know What I Want and Need Some Good Advice!

I' am currently in my senior year ofcollege, I;am gradating next march but I want to be as prepared as possible when I graduate to get a job in the game developent field. I 'am currently aquiring my a Bachelor in Fine Arts ( aka: Game Design and Programming) It is a 3 year program at my college and is fully accredited. I want to be a Producer or Associate Producer or Project Manager and know you have to work up the ladder just like in any company or field. My question is since I know how to use Maya, PhotoShop, Microsot Project and I 'am also learning C#, Flash, and a couple of programs is that going to help me when I apply for a job. I currently work at ForeClosure Law office for the past 4 years to get thru school, but I 'am a manager there of 20 people, I hire new employees and do all the negotiations for the company,and many other tasks so I 'am use to pressure. The size of the comapny is 600 people ( not joking)! So since I have Supervising experience , negotiations experience and I 'am going to have a 4 year degree in game design is that a good overall package. I 'am not expecting to make the big bucks right out of college but I want to get my foot in the door. Any advice is great !!!

Thanks

Future graduate and Game Creator

xVirtual Worldx
xVirtual Worldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

I am guessing you want to get in as an Artist. Start building a portfolio that can be accessed online, have it and your resume reviewed by as many people as possible.

Anything else is just standard job hunting and interview technique.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
xVirtual Worldx

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

Actually, I would like to be a Associate Producer or Project Manager, Something to do with the creation process, and making sure things get done. I 'am descent a 3d modeling but I like the buisness side more, but I think I could do both.

Thanks
xVirtual Worldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

There are not many entry level Associate Producer roles and the other two you mentioned are not usually given unless you have previous industry experience.

Your current experience should help in getting an Associate Producer role at least.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote