Get the latest Education e-news
 
Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
sycross
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Lineage

Hi,

My name is Ray Li, and I am a 16-year-old high school student. For a class in Critical Thinking, we are required to complete a semester-long, independent-study project. For my project, I chose to finish and market a board game which I have been working on for a while. The game is called Lineage. It is a two-player, abstract strategy game.

My website is www.lineageboards.com. I would appreciate it if you could visit it and give me some feedback on what you think of the game and the site.

Thanks
sycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
ronnoc10
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Default

You're a 16 year-old high school student? Wows...
As for the game: The board is quite intemidating, although it all seems quite logical, and I'd like to know how you finalized the design. As you point out on the site, it is a combination of two games I have played, but it has more dept than the one it shares movement with (I don't remember its name), and I would likely be just as bad at it as I am a Go.
I will have to withhold further judgment until I play the bugger.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244
Location: UK
Default

Why is the site in Flash? All the pages are static and and non interactive, you may as well created the site in XHTML and CSS. Viewers who can't install flash on their machines can't view the pages.

I reserve judgement until I have actually played a game but it does sound interesting and familiar.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
sycross
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Why is the site in Flash? All the pages are static and and non interactive, you may as well created the site in XHTML and CSS. Viewers who can't install flash on their machines can't view the pages.

I reserve judgement until I have actually played a game but it does sound interesting and familiar.
This is something that a lot of people ask me. The site really doesn't need to be in flash, but flash is the only way that I know how to create a webpage. My html skills are extremely lacking...

I am working on changing the site to html, but for now, I have it in flash so people can at least look at something while I make an html version.
sycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
sycross
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
You're a 16 year-old high school student? Wows...
As for the game: The board is quite intemidating, although it all seems quite logical, and I'd like to know how you finalized the design. As you point out on the site, it is a combination of two games I have played, but it has more dept than the one it shares movement with (I don't remember its name), and I would likely be just as bad at it as I am a Go.
I will have to withhold further judgment until I play the bugger.
Yes, many people find the board slightly intimidating at first, but most people pick up on the basics after a few plays. The design of the board is about 50% logical and 50% arbitrary that just happened to work. I basically went through a lot of different board designs and this one worked best, so I used it.

Where do I point out on the site that it is a combination of two games?
sycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
ronnoc10
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycross View Post
Yes, many people find the board slightly intimidating at first, but most people pick up on the basics after a few plays. The design of the board is about 50% logical and 50% arbitrary that just happened to work. I basically went through a lot of different board designs and this one worked best, so I used it.

Where do I point out on the site that it is a combination of two games?
"Lineage is a two-player abstract strategy game that takes elements from classic games and fuses them with completely original concepts."
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
sycross
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default

Ah yes, I thought you meant that I pointed out two specific games.
sycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
sycross
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default

Ok, so a friend has offered to make an online version of my game. Do you think that this will help my game's sales or hurt them (since people could just play online)?

Thanks
sycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
yaustar
Administrator
 
yaustar's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244
Location: UK
Default

Depends. I don't think it will affect it much purely because a fair number of board game enthusiasts would much prefer a physical 'copy' then an online version. If anything, it might generate more sales as you are allowing them to 'try before they buy'.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Adrir
Administrator
 
Adrir's Avatar

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1459
Location: London, UK
Default

Sounds like a great idea, but the link doesn't work for me!
__________________
Michael 'Adrir' Scott :: Games, Virtual Worlds, Education
Networking | Current Project | Research | Teaching
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:42 AM.






UBM Tech