Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Morpheus

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default As far as being "valuable" goes.

So.
Currently, I am a forum moderator for the company 2K (the fine people who published BioShock, and are owned by Take-Two).
I have been a moderator for them for a little over a year (about 15 months so far).
Do you think this would in anyway help me get a job in the future (still in high school) if I gave this as an experience example?

Thanks!

Also, any other advice on how to make myself an object to a game developing company, I'd appreciate it.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Absolutely! Your experience sounds like it would be particularly valuable if you were on a path toward becoming a community manager.

And in the long run, being a forum moderator may help you make professional contacts.

Overall, it certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I would think so. Jill Duffy said it already.
You can highlight specific things such as keeping specific boards in order/monitoring, editing, effectively communicating with community members, helping bring awareness to the company and its products, providing feedback and more. Look up some job listings and see what they are asking for and then go out and do it. It was also help to keep a public blog that follows some of your moderator related duties and experiences. Here are a couple listings I just found.

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx...ccountno=20104

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx...ccountno=45690

I hope to gain a position as a moderator for a game related website.
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

The biggest part of the industry it seems is networking. Making friends in all the right places. Also I have learned a very valuable lesson at my own expense on the Bioware forums. I asked a question half joking and half serious. Yes I wanted an answer, but I wanted to make it light hearted so as to easily discuss it. I got burned by one of their employees saying that despite it being a forum post, first impressions are always important and text is very poor at conveying tone. From then on I have treated every forum post more professionally, especially in these types of forums. You just never know who's looking over your moderating!

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I have being a moderator here on my resume and people always bring that up in interviews and think it is awesome. So I would definitely put it on my resume.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

You speak of networking as the biggest part of the industry. I was wondering for people trying to get into the industry, like myself, should we attend GDCs whenever we can just to meet people and get a feel? Like I am really at the early stages, I have been a programmer for a year now, and try and do modding on the side to get familiar with how games are structured. I noticed that the Austin GDC is coming up soon, should I try and attend that or should I wait until the GDC in San Francisco? Or should I just wait until I have made some sort of game demo to go out there?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Unless the forum moderation role is paid, it doesn't go under experience but responsibilities.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Also, a wise man just recently asked me if I went to any GDCs. I haven't. If you can though, why wouldn't you?

For me it's all about cost, time and did I mention cost? I'm not wealthy and still have a bit of debt from school, but the biggest problem for me is getting time off work, paying my bills, paying the travel expenses, lodging, etc... If you can afford it, do it. I know I will as soon as I can, I've already begun saving money for it.

The GDC sounds like an amazing experience... If this is your industry, go for it!

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Also, a wise man just recently asked me if I went to any GDCs. I haven't. If you can though, why wouldn't you?

For me it's all about cost, time and did I mention cost? I'm not wealthy and still have a bit of debt from school, but the biggest problem for me is getting time off work, paying my bills, paying the travel expenses, lodging, etc... If you can afford it, do it. I know I will as soon as I can, I've already begun saving money for it.

The GDC sounds like an amazing experience... If this is your industry, go for it!

Tim Edwards
Same deal here. I wish so much that I could but money is a big issue. I'm contemplating on how I'm going to try and get a week off of work to visit my future school in New York. Last time I took a week off of work and went to New York. Even when I had a place to crash (no cost) it ended up causing a nice little dent in my account. From where I sit it looks like I wont be able to go for another 2 years! I may actually have to use part of my student loan to go if I want to go earlier.

If you can go like Tim said go. If you can't yet, start saving and visit less costly events. You can also start networking as early as now, talk to people who went, and still read up on the happenings of GDC.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

I was looking at Austin GDC prices and its pretty expensive for that All-Access pass, but if you are crazy enough to go for one day go for the game career seminar.

Quote:
Austin GDC All-Access Pass
$695
Alumni Rate
on or before 7/31

$795
Special Advanced Rate on or before 7/31

$895
Early Bird Rate
on or before 8/28

$995
Onsite Rate

Monday - Wednesday

The All Access Pass gets you ALL ACCESS to Austin GDC!

This Three-Day All-Access Pass Includes:

* Access to over 100 sessions including lectures, panels, roundtables, and keynotes
* Access to the Austin GDC Expo Floor
* Access to the Game Career Seminar, Wednesday
* Access to the Worlds In Motion Summit, Tuesday & Wednesday
* Access to the Independent Games Festival Pavilion
* Access to all Austin GDC hosted events
* Access to "myGDC" the Game Developers Conference professional networking tool
Quote:
Game Career Seminar Pass
$99

Wednesday Only

Get into Games! Taking place on Wednesday, September 17, this full day program is designed for students and individuals interested in learning how to break into the video-game industry.

Attendees will: network with industry professionals; meet with HR executives from leading game companies in the Career Pavilion; and hear from top game developers and industry experts who will share their perspectives and insights.

This Wednesday Only Pass Includes:

* Access to the Austin GDC Game Career Seminar
* Access to Game Career Seminar hosted events at Austin GDC
* Access to the Independent Games Festival Pavilion (Wednesday only)
* Access to the Austin GDC Expo Floor (Wednesday only)
* Access to "myGDC" the Game Developers Conference professional networking tool

The Game Career Seminar Pass DOES NOT grant you:

* Access to over 100 sessions including lectures, panels, roundtables, and keynotes
* Access to the Worlds in Motion Summit, Tuesday & Wednesday
* Access to all Austin GDC hosted events
* Access to Conference Proceedings (available online)
I am contemplating actually going down to Austin for the one day with the Game Career Seminar Pass. I know people are probably thinking I am crazy for paying all that airfare just for one day, but if that means a shot at the industry, so be it!

Last edited by Duckman : 06-06-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Addition
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote