Get the latest Education e-news

Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Clov3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Smile What to do, where to go?

Hi everyone, I'm sure you're used to life stories by now, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Since before I could walk, video games have always been a prominent past-time in my life. Growing up female, I was one of the many told that video games would never get me anywhere in life and here I am today trying to fight that same mentality.

I'm 20 years old and currently in between schools. Like many art students I researched a school, visited it, got impressed by their "promises" and "words of praise" and ended up being let down shortly after enrollment. My first college was actually SCAD (the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia), an expensive school full of potential...and lots of let downs. When it became apparent that SCAD wasn't going to be for me, I then tried my hand at another art school in Memphis, MCA (Memphis College of Art) but after a year, I only found myself running in circles as their academic curriculum proved insufficient to anyone wanting to graduate in something other than Photography, Metals or Screen Printing.

With 2 years of college and tuition down the toilet, I'm at a crossroad.
What do I do? Where do I go?

I actually have some experience in the game industry. I've done a lot of freelance graphic design for clans and websites. I currently work for The Underground Gaming Series and Pwned.com. I even spent much of last year helping to run and found GIRLS N' GAMING MAGAZINE, a digital online magazine, but after a falling out with the owner, parted ways. Not so much game development, but my knowledge and experienced have kept me passionate and more into making this day job.

I know that I love writing and doing basic art. I am a go-getter kind of person and can do most anything. I've worked with Maya before but I don't think it's what I want to do. If anything - I'm more interesting in the Post-Production and Advertising aspect of the gaming industry, but how do I pursue that? What degree would I need to get myself that much closer to that goal? Could I even get by without a degree? (seeing as my funds for college are mostly depleted and I'd have to be starting over.)

I appreciate you all taking the time to read this. Any words of inspiration, opinions as to what I should do next or where I should go to would be lovely.
Clov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Question:

What did you dislike about SCAD?
Did you look into traditional colleges?

A marketing degree may fit your goals well. That supplemented with some graphic design classes leading to strong portfolio. You could pretty much do anything with out a degree but if you can grab it. A degree shows you can start and finish something. Not just that but from what I've seen many employers like the idea of a candidate with a degree becuase they associate that with somebody who is well rounding and have a more robust knowledge about the industry.

Last edited by ShadoFrost : 06-06-2008 at 09:59 AM.
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Do you want to get into the Games Development Industry or Games Journalism Industry?

In short, what do you want to do?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Clov3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Well I think I enjoy game journalism more. I mean - I am an artist but without a BFA, I see less chance of myself getting into the industry that way. Really I think I want to work for a company such as PC GAMER, GAME INFORMER, G4TV etc etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Clov3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoFrost View Post
Question:

What did you dislike about SCAD?
Did you look into traditional colleges?
Well SCAD was a many of things. What overal made me have to leave was that some paperwork was lost and I was kicked out. I could have took it to court to stay (since it wasn't my fault but someone in administration) but the damage was already done and I went home.

As far as traditional colleges, I was looking into UNT or community colleges around the Dallas Area (since thats home), at least until I can get a student loan or scholarship. I may bet getting a QA job in Boston, so if I get that - I'll be looking for colleges around there to finish up a degree in.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clov3r View Post
Well I think I enjoy game journalism more.
If that is what you want to do then get a degree in journalism.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote