Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15
Default Very Confused and Seeking Help

Hello All,

My name is josh, and I live in Minnesota. I will be entering my final year of high school, and I am very stuck about alot of things. I want to go to school for Game Design/Programming, yet I can not really find a good school to focus on. Another thing is I really have no experience at all, and do not know much about Jave, C++, mapping, and etc. If anyone knows how I can learn any of that other than books(About to buy some, so that is why.) before entering college, I would be greatful. Onto the colleges. I have got a list down, and requested information. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with any of them as far as the program, advancement for careers, housing, and if they help you get ready to leave and find a career. If anyone has any other schools in mind, I am keeping things open incase and be sure to share. Thanks to all in advance.

List
The Art Institutes of Vancouver

Devry

ITT

Globe University

Westwood(Denver)

Brown College

Vancouver Institute for Media Arts
Codekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Well well well, another person asking about schools...

It's all good! Here's my advice, start doing your homework on the schools. It's not so much the school, as what is taught in the degree and how it's taught. Everyone learns differently, and what I might say is an amazing school just might not work for you.

You need to look at cost vs efficiency. If you're going to be able to learn lots, then go for it. But sometimes the more you pay doesn't ensure quality nor quantity. Choosing the right school for you is the hardest choice, sticking with it is even harder.

That is all I can say. The Art Institute was WAY too expensive for me, but I don't know if you have a budget for learning. If you don't I'd suggest Full Sail or Digipen or there is a university in Quebec for people who really want to work at Ubisoft.

Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Consider reading this opinion article on game schools: http://scientificninja.com/advice/on-game-schools
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codekill View Post
Hello All,

My name is josh, and I live in Minnesota. I will be entering my final year of high school, and I am very stuck about alot of things. I want to go to school for Game Design/Programming, yet I can not really find a good school to focus on. Another thing is I really have no experience at all, and do not know much about Jave, C++, mapping, and etc. If anyone knows how I can learn any of that other than books(About to buy some, so that is why.) before entering college, I would be greatful. Onto the colleges. I have got a list down, and requested information. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with any of them as far as the program, advancement for careers, housing, and if they help you get ready to leave and find a career. If anyone has any other schools in mind, I am keeping things open incase and be sure to share. Thanks to all in advance.

List
The Art Institutes of Vancouver

Devry

ITT

Globe University

Westwood(Denver)

Brown College

Vancouver Institute for Media Arts

A good way to start your research is to be sure that it is a trade or technical school that you do want to attend. Did you research your other options yet? Did you cross out the prospect of going to a traditional university?

Similar to what Tim was saying. Choosing a school is something very personal and it has much to do with the offered curriculum, if it matches your educational/career goals, if it matches your learning style (hands on, accelerated, slow pace etc), marginal cost vs marginal benefeit, environment and so on. No one can answer those questions for you so research and research hard.

It took me a while to make up my mind and choose what I believe to be the right educational path for me. Even went as far as to research the surrounding area, cost of living, crime rate, near by studios, male to female ratio the works . In the end it's all up to you on what you make out of it. I can promise you that you'll hear horror stories from what ever school you choose and you can probably find a success story in the industry from any one of those formentioned schools. A sunflower can still grow from a dump . Corny I know but I'm like that.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Wow, thank you all for the help. I do have one more question that bothers me after reading the link yaustar posted. Would it truly hurt me if I have no skillset towards Game Design or Computer Science? I mean I am looking to be 100% focused and I understand that it takes hard work, slow pace, and heart to truly be a programmer, designer, and etc. Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Game Design and Programming are two different roles. At most studios, you are either one or the other. Which one do you want to be?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Game Design and Programming are two different roles. At most studios, you are either one or the other. Which one do you want to be?
Well I am not that great of a drawer, so would that mean Game Design is out?

To be honest, I love both sides of what both jobs offer.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codekill View Post
Well I am not that great of a drawer, so would that mean Game Design is out?
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
To be honest, I love both sides of what both jobs offer.
Let's put it this way, if you had to focus education on one, which one?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
No, it doesn't.

Let's put it this way, if you had to focus education on one, which one?
Well after reading info on both, I feel I would want to become a programmer.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

In which case, do a Computer Science degree at a good University and work on game projects in your spare time.

You can still do a 'games' programming degree and get a job but you have to make sure that you do your research and ensure that the degree will teach you what you need for the industry and not be a 'Jack of all trades' course.