Old 06-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
In which case, do a Computer Science degree at a good University and work on game projects in your spare time.

You can still do a 'games' programming degree and get a job but you have to make sure that you do your research and ensure that the degree will teach you what you need for the industry and not be a 'Jack of all trades' course.
So I could go to a University and do Computer Science and still be able to go into a gaming career?

I mean it does make sense because its the same type of work, right?
Codekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codekill View Post
So I could go to a University and do Computer Science and still be able to go into a gaming career?

I mean it does make sense because its the same type of work, right?
Yes, you can go into a gaming career from Computer Science. It is not the same type of work in that you may not always program games, and it'll be up to you to apply what you've learned
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

Programming is programming whether or not it is games, applications, firmware, etc. The core concepts still apply.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Just make sure you work on games as side projects because employers love to see that on resumes.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
Just make sure you work on games as side projects because employers love to see that on resumes.
And I really don't know how to do that, so would reading books on Programming and Design help me be able to do that as I go through college?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
And I really don't know how to do that, so would reading books on Programming and Design help me be able to do that as I go through college?

It could but you can always start with Mods and free game creating programs. Or pay for some cool engines such as Torque. I'm sure when you go to school you can find a few people just as interested in doing a video game side project as you are. Make sure you pick people who seem dedicated to the project and who don't have too many things on their plate at the same time.

Last edited by ShadoFrost : 06-11-2008 at 09:00 AM.
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

I started to apply things spoken on lectures as soon as I could get home from them.

As the current trend is, Java was/is my first language that I have received any formal education for.

I just dug out the basics for keyboard and mouse handling, basics of using AWT canvas, and so on from the very dear Google.com.

My first "game" was a small, clunky and horrible Tetris clone.
Lessons learned from it were put to use in a programming execise course, where I implemented a sidescroller, where hundreds of animated critters just rushed from the right side of the screen and player on the left side did his best to shoot them.

Interest and experimenting are a great teachers.

I don't think there is a project too small to begin with.
It is the intention that counts.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
Codekill

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

I want to thank everyone for their help, and I really feel my mind is clear after reading all what you have all said. Thanks.

Would anyone have any idea where I could find Mods and free game creating programs?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their help, and I really feel my mind is clear after reading all what you have all said. Thanks.

Would anyone have any idea where I could find Mods and free game creating programs?
Mods you usually get through PC games as a bonus utility for both fun and enthusiast. Popular ones would Never Winter Nights (good for RPGs), Unreal Tournament (good for 1st and 3rd person action), and Half Life.

Last edited by ShadoFrost : 06-07-2008 at 09:29 PM.
ShadoFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
ShadoFrost

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Here's a list of free ones with the help of Marc.

1. Agar - A high-level graphical application framework used by 2D and 3D computer games.

2. Allegro library - A free cross platform C/C++ game programming library, provides functions for graphics, sounds, input, timers, fixed and floating point, 3d, compressed datafile and a GUI.

3. Axiom Engine - A fork containing the core of the OGRE graphics engine.
4. Baja Engine - Professional quality engine used for the game The Lost Mansion.

5. Boom - A port of the Doom source code by TeamTNT
6. Build engine - A First person shooter engine used to power Duke Nukem 3D

7. BYOND - Short for "Build Your Own Net Dream." Makes various genres of games, including MOGs.

8. Ca3D-Engine - A fairly mature and well developed 3D game engine with its own SDK, world editor, etc.

9. Cadabra 3D Engine - 3D engine for easy game development.

10. Catmother - A BSD-licensed engine from a company that open-sourced its code when it closed the business.

11. Crystal Entity Layer - An extension of the Crystal Space 3D Engine.
12. Crystal Space - A general framework for developing 3D applications.
13. DarkPlaces - One of the most advanced free software Quake engines.

14. Delta3d - Integrates other well-known free software projects into an easy-to-use API, originally developed by the U.S. Navy.

15. DGD - An object-oriented programmable MUD engine.

16. Doom engine - The now free software engine originally used for Doom and Doom II.

17. DXFramework - A simple, pedagogical 2D/3D DirectX-based game engine for Visual Studio.

18. DX Studio - Real-time professional 3D engine and editing suite.
19. Eclipse - A 2D MMORPG maker (Open source).
20. Elysium Source - A 2D online game engine made with VB6.
21. Engine 001 - A 2D Action/RPG Game Maker.

22. Epee Engine - an 2D/3D open source cross platform graphics engine with beginning programmers in mind.

23. Eternity Engine - A source port of the Doom engine.
24. Exult - A free software reimplementation of the Ultima VII game engine.
25. FIFE - A free software 2D ISO engine supporting the assets of Fallout 1 & 2.

26. Game Blender - A sub-application of Blender for creating games.
27. Game Maker - Object-oriented game development software with drag-and-drop interface and its own scripting language.

28. Genesis3D - A real-time 3D engine for Windows
29. GemRB - A free software implementation of the Infinity Engine.
30. G3DRuby A Ruby Library for Advanced 3D Graphics.
31. Haaf's Game Engine - A 2D Hardware Accelerated Game Engine.
32. Irrlicht Engine - A cross-platform and lightweight three dimensional graphics engine.

33. Gosu A 2D game development library for C++ and Ruby.

34. Jogre - a Java based client/server game engine and API for online real time games such as chess, checkers, etc.

35. MRPGe - Visual Basic 2D RPG game engine, with built-in scripting capabilities. M.U.G.E.N - A 2D fighting game engine.

36. Multiverse Network - an MMOG platform, including server, client, and tools.

37. Nebula Device - A realtime 3D game engine by Radon Labs.
38. NeL Engine - A game designed from Nevrax to make MMORPGs.

39. OctLight - A Java game engine that uses scene-graph and renders on top of Lightweight Java Game Library (LWJGL) using OpenGL.

40. Open Game Engine is an open source library combining the components used to make games.

41. OGRE Engine - A very popular object-oriented graphics rendering engine. Also called OGRE3D.

42. Online RPG Maker - An Online RPG/2D engine with scripting.
43. Panda3D Engine - Rapid development engine based on Python.
44. PlayerWorlds - a simple, and widely used 2D Online RPG Engine.

45. PLIB - A game engine - includes 3D, Audio, Music, GUI, Window manager and is portable Linux/Windows/MacOSX.

46. ProQuake - A modified Quake engine.
47. Quake II engine - The original free software Quake II engine from Id Software.

48. Quake III engine - The original free software Quake III engine from Id Software.

49. Reality Factory - A free open-source game engine that is intended for non-programmers and is built on the Genesis3d Graphic Engine.

50. RealmForge - An open-source game engine for the Microsoft .NET Framework.

51. Stratagus - A cross-platform real time strategy game engine

52. Tomb4 - The engine used to play custom Tomb Raider games built using TRLE (Tomb Raider Level Editor).

53. vbGORE - Open-source online RPG (MMORPG) engine in Visual Basic 6 (2d via 3d hybrid engine).

54. Zak Engine - An easy to use 2D games engine using DirectX 8.1 and 9 developed for novice and professional programmers. Features: sprites, tiles maps, sound and music in several formats, scripting (AngelScript), particle systems, etc.