Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #21
Vig

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

I would like to second, using your spare time now to try your hand at practicing developing a game. The chances are that if the first time you touch the programs are in school you'll already be behind the curve.

I'm not really sure which area would interest you the most (might have been fleshed out in the thread but I missed it) but if its art, you'll need a strong artistic skill set. That is a skill set that will translate to any program you use and its just a matter of punching buttons and learning a few technical twists.

Its good to learn all the technical stuff or at least be familiar with it but in an industry that keeps changing, its the artistic talent you'll draw on day in and day out. This skill set above all else will be the foundation of any artists career. Schools often get caught up in teaching you the technical how-to's, even the good ones.

It may seem like a no brainier but you'd be surprised by how many non-artists apply for artist positions.

My Art Director ask a silly question in each interview, "Are you a gamer looking to make games for a living? Or are you an artist looking to make a living?" Most people know the answer he's looking for and answer it "correctly" but its important to think about when considering a career in the industry.
Vig is offline   Reply With Quote