Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
freakynipples69

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

I plan to attend as well. I was going to pay for the full access, but after reading this thread, I really wouldn't benefit from anything other the Game Career Seminar. I also want to hand out my resume to a few companies in hopes it will help me land a QA job when I graduate from college in December. It's a good thing I came here and saw this thread! It just saved me a few hundred dollars! I pay just opt for the $99 Game Career pass which includes access to the seminar and the expo floor on just Wednesday only, which is more than enough to just network with developers and hand out resumes.

I have a business card, but I currently work in an completely unrelated industry (I'm a manager of an automotive repair shop) and along with a lot of freelancing filmmaking and production work. Should I still use that to hand out as well with my resume? My resume is currently spec'd for more film related work, I have to change it a bit to attract game developers more.

Duckman; I live in Westchester as well. I've been looking at hotel and flight packages for three days in Austin. It's going to cost around $1,200 for a hotel in Downtown Austin, less for hotels farther. I am using the conference as an excuse to go on a quick vacation I probably don't NEED to go, but I always wanted to visit Texas

Last edited by freakynipples69 : 07-05-2008 at 10:12 AM.
freakynipples69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I went last year only for the Career Guide Seminar, and I must say that it was really helpful. A buddy of mine went for the entire conference, and he was able to make the socializing the first night--where parties were thrown at downtown bars and it was a great chance to just hang out with industry veterans and have a good time. I, unfortunately, did not make it early enough to participate in that, and he was able to receive business cards and contact information from those that he talked to.

But, as far as content in the Career Seminar, it was quite useful. If you have the chance to go, I'd recommend it because you do have the ability to talk with actual industry professionals and potentially leave an impression on them because of it.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #23
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Just a short update to let you know that it is possible to buy 2 seperate passes instead of the all conference pass, it's not simple (the online system doesn't support that by default, so it required making a couple of calls to the registration center) but I now have passes to the conference, with flight and sleeping arrengments on the way, I'm almost definetly coming (I'm actually getting all hyper about it )
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #24
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271
Default a bit silly question

What is the dress code in these convenstions? (casual, formal, everybody comes dressed as pirates?)

I'm sorry if this question sounds a bit silly, but this is my first convention in the industry, and I don't want to pull a Bridget Jones
Facebook profile

Last edited by TG1 : 07-27-2008 at 03:57 AM.
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #25
freakynipples69

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
What is the dress code in these convenstions? (casual, formal, everybody comes dressed as pirates?)

I'm sorry if this question sounds a bit silly, but this is my first convention in the industry, and I don't want to pull a Bridget Jones
I'm pretty sure it's very casual. Some people actually dress oddly to stand out and be memorable, i.e. there's a man who always wears a top hat and another man who always wears a bright orange shirt (so I've read on blogs )

You could come dressed as a pirate, I mean, who could forget you?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakynipples69 View Post
so I've read on blogs
Darius Kazemi for the win!

If you havn't read his networking advice then read it now!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #27
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
Darius Kazemi for the win!

If you havn't read his networking advice then read it now!
Yes everyone should read this blog. I don't know if he is speaking at Austin or not but if he is go see him.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #28
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
Yes everyone should read this blog. I don't know if he is speaking at Austin or not but if he is go see him.
Darius Kazemi (orange shirt guy) will be speaking at Austin at a bonus Career Seminar session that will take place Tuesday night. If you have the Career Seminar pass for all day Wednesday, you will be able to get into the Tuesday night bonus session.

Also, the "man who wears a top hat" is Ernest Adams. If you don't know who he is, you really should look him up now and read a few of his Gamasutra articles!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
pinion31

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I plan on attending Austin GDC this year for the career seminar- my first time attending a games conference. As an aspiring game artist, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what types of materials to bring. I know that business cards are necessary. Should I bring copies of my resume? What about printouts of artwork? I am feeling that that might be too much.
pinion31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #30
freakynipples69

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

I'm bringing a few hundred business cards and a few resumes just in case.

Quote:
Darius Kazemi (orange shirt guy) will be speaking at Austin at a bonus Career Seminar session that will take place Tuesday night. If you have the Career Seminar pass for all day Wednesday, you will be able to get into the Tuesday night bonus session.
Thank you for that heads up!