Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Discussion: Confessions of a Non-Gaming Mom

Discuss your thoughts here for the article "Confessions of a Non-Gaming Mom," by Amy Addison.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Yeah Super Smash Bros!

The thing about the Wii is that many games that were not specifically geared towards a non gamer audience don't really make full use of the Wii's capabilities. For example, Super Smash Brawl, I found it a bit more difficult to navigate than the ones for GameCube because the only Wii feature it used for for navigating the menus. Seriously, if there was any game out there that could make full use of the Wii controls, Super Smash Bros would be it.

Also, Medal of Honor Vanguard uses some Wii features, but there is still a huge variety of different actions assigned to a different buttons/motions, and it is still just as confusing as if there were a ton of buttons. What's more, the camera is connected to the Wii remote, so if you even just relax your arm muscles for a minute, good luck trying to find where you are.

I wonder if a Wii Bowl equivalent to GameCube would really be more confusing than Wii Bowl on the Wii? If all the player had to do was press A and B and release, it would be simple enough to learn.

That said, games that do use the Wii's capabilities, such as the Godfather, are pretty intuitive. I love strangling people with the Wii (virtual people, that is).
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
B Luke

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

For me, that way is meant to be the "next-generation". So, I don't understand why Sony isn't more aggressive with its Playstation Eye! Buttons issue? There's no buttons at all there!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

To the extent of my knowledge, the Playstation Eye is basically just a fancy webcam/microphone for PS3. I don't think it really has much to do with actual gameplay at all.

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/396
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
Discuss your thoughts here for the article "Confessions of a Non-Gaming Mom," by Amy Addison.
Awesome!

I think making games simple and accessible is going to be the key of family gaming. I was playing Viva Pinata the other day and thought it would be an awesome game that my aunt, who also didn't know very much about computer games until I introduced them to the Wii, and my three-four year old cousin could play. However, it wasn't very intuitive for them to play.

A game that my aunt did like, however, was suprisingly Portal on the PC! It was easy to pick up, had a slow learning curve, the puzzles were pretty simple at the beginning, and she thought that GLaDOS was awesome!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

It's funny, but as much as the wiiMote is an awesome invention, I do find that playing more UI complex games on the WII, especially those that require the nunchack, is very uncomfortable compared to a normal controller. Twilight princess and No more heroes are two examples for that, I find the control very awkward in those games for some reason, maybe it's becuase I'm left handed and No more heroes has no lefty option (meaning that when I need to move the Nunchuck and the Wiimote for a finishing move it can get very confusing...).
In general, it's interesting how the wiimote made left handness an actual consideration when developing a game (for example - if my character in the game is holding a sword, I would like it to hold the sword in its left hand if that's where I'm holding the wiimote)
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
B Luke

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

@EvilLlama
Uh? it's like to say that the wii nunchaku has no gameplay in its own!

Ps Eye is a great mediation device, pretty much underused during PS2 generation, but with great potential, though only that for now.
Trust my savvy knowledge...or argue with me on the possibilities (see: augmented reality).
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
B Luke

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

@TG1
It's also funny that, previous the wii launch, nobody seemed to guess how to play with a controller designed to be similar to a tv remote, in theory easier to use than a normal gamepad.
then, only the balance board is 'mass-audiencewise-better' than the nunchuck, except the ps eye, of course.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss684

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Luke View Post
@TG1
It's also funny that, previous the wii launch, nobody seemed to guess how to play with a controller designed to be similar to a tv remote, in theory easier to use than a normal gamepad.
then, only the balance board is 'mass-audiencewise-better' than the nunchuck, except the ps eye, of course.
I have no idea what that meant, but if you are agreeing with TG1 (i.e. saying that the Wii controller setup sucks for the more complicated control schemes), then I agree!

Sure, the Wiimote is great for simple control schemes, but for certain games it just won't do. The awkward usage of the + and - buttons in Metroid Prime 3 is a... ahem, 'prime' example of that. Also, I would have loved an analogue stick on the wiimote, so I could control the camera in Mario Galaxy properly (dammit!).

So even though the Wiimote is great for those previously alienated with gaming due to controller complexity, I feel it is limiting developers in creating games with more complex control schemes (say, 90+ percent of all prev-gen games). The Classic Controller is not an option either, as it has no motion or pointer control. I hope 'Wii2' ('Wiiii', or 'Wiv') will have a controller(-suite) more accomodating to the complex games I have grown to love, or that developers will quickly find better ways to deal with the limitations of the Wii controls (dammit!).
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
B Luke

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

I referred to the singular situation where gamers used to play with an overcrowded orgy of buttons, but they're not able to figure out how to use a device designed to be familiar, though not for games yet. This reports the discussion to the mom of the article, maybe less upsetted by the wii controller than an hardcore gamer (disputed assertion).

Yes, classic controllers are not an option either, but for a 'Wiitoo' I hope something along the example of the ps eye (I have a video to link....if i can find it).