Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Squeaky

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Question from an absolute beginner

Just wanted to start by saying that this site is great! I wish I had found it a long time ago. The forums have been very informative and educating.

I have an idea for a game that I want to make a reality. I do all my work in photoshop which makes me SOL when it comes to game-making. I picked up a copy of 3d Studio Max but am unable to get any traction. What programs do I use for coding, etc... These questions go unanswered.

I looked into some videogame schools, but they all want around 70 grand and I'm not looking to break into the videogame industry, I just want to make one computer game. That's it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a crash game programming course/workshop that was available for someone like me. Someone who just wants to make one game, not break into the industry.

Thank you so much in advance,

Squeaky
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Someone who just wants to make one game, not break into the industry.
Use GameMaker for 2D games (3D support isn't great) or 3D Game Studio for 3D games.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
GCGuser

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I'd stick to some simple Flash/Sprite games, or perhaps XNA stuff (http://creators.xna.com/), etc.

It's not easy to make a game, even a small one.
GCGuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
zenobuk

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

You could also check out DarkBASIC if you want a not-too-heavy way to do some game programming...

Another approach would be to start by modding... Find a game that's broadly similar to what you have in mind, and do some small mods for it - try replacing some of the graphics, or making some small changes to some parameters or behaviours (Many games now ship with extensive modding tools included). Then work from there...

Broadly what kind of game is it...? Might be able to give some more specific advice for how you can get going with a little more information...
zenobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Squeaky

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I got the gamestudio program and am trying to understand it. Anyone know a good tutorial?

As for the game it's a dance simulator. Basically there are two human models, you can change what they look like, and then you can make them dance with moves you program in.

So yeah, any suggestions for getting some traction are appreciated. You guys have already been 1000% more helpful then anything else I've found.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

I can't be sure how serious you are about this project, but if you're anything less than "super serious" I would suggest sticking to a simple 2D game in XNA or Flash... if you got it.
Flash is probably the easiest solution to pound a little game or perhaps just a prototype out of the ground, because it is so easy to tie code to visual objects.
Before you're going to pore hours upon hours into making a full fledged game, doing one or more prototypes to see if your ideas turn out to be actually fun, is a good idea . Of course, if you're convinced your game will rock, just go for it.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I got the gamestudio program and am trying to understand it. Anyone know a good tutorial?
From their wiki? http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Squeaky

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Awesome! Thanks for the wiki link!

As for the game, it's going to rock, so I'm going to make the full version. Remember this isn't something I need to have finished in 6 months or 6 years. This is just something I want to make right.

Thanks for the help. If I have any more questions I know where to come.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
Squeaky

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thanks again for all the help.

Can I import models made in 3D Studio Max into GameStudio A7? Is it worth the time to learn 3D Studio max to import said models, or should I just use the modeling engine that comes with GameStudio A7?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom,

Jessie
Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/3dgs2_7.php

Quote:
You can either create the landscape and buildings yourself, or import artwork created with 3D content editors like Worldcraft™, Milkshape™ or gameSpace™, or high-end editors like Maya™ or 3D Studio MAX™. All usual 3D file formats (FBX, X, 3DS, ASE, OBJ, MDL, MD2, MAP) are supported. Terrain can be imported through heightmaps from freeware terrain generators like Terragen™.