Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Design Challenge: The Crate

Discuss the challenge and your solutions here for "Game Design Challenge: The Crate."
Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

A brick of Cocaine.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

I can't decide if this is a really easy challenge or a hard one...
Reading between the lines, it seems we simply have to think of sci-fi replacements for crates and throw in some non-sci-fi alts just in case the game isn't sci-fi.
What would make this hard is to think of something genuinely original. Sci-fi crates have been done to death already (see the Metroid Prime series for, ahem, prime examples).

Quote:
Crates are used for storing, blocking, building, climbing, throwing, smashing, and more! The object needs to be versatile, movable, stackable, and stable when situated on the floor.
Well, this very much limits the shape of the 'crate'...
It is going to be hard to think outside of the box for this one.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
zenobuk

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

I think this is a hard one... I really don't know where to start. The problem is 'sci-fi' is such an enormous context, as not to really be any context at all...

Imagine a slight variation "We're making a game based on a licence from the SciFi channel. We need something to use as a 'crate', but can't think what..."... What can you propose to that...??

I'm looking at the SciFi channel guide at the moment - we have Star Trek, The Lost World, Quantum Leap, Legion of Fire, Heroes, 3rd Rock From the Sun, many others that I've never watched... And for all of them, any kind of decent answer is going to be 100% dependent on the specifics of the IP. I could probably think of some plausible alternatives for each particular case - but think of something that could be plausible across all of them...???

Even closing in on particular cases is hard - something suitable for a Star Trek: Voyager setting would be different from something for Star Trek: Origins, for example...
zenobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

hmmm, indeed a hard one.
I'm trying to start by thinking about sci-fi typical environments (planet surface, spaceship) and from there think about crate-like objects that fit into these environments.
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

What's the 'little boxes' song?

I'm putting a glass crate in my list. Glass doesn't go out of style. Plus, the fragility adds a new dimension to the basic crate gameplay.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Machaca8

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11
Thumbs up

With a recent mod my team is working, I ran into this same challenge! We ended up leaving it for later since the basic design of the level was more pertinent at the time than the assets. But, yea... it's hard! It's hard to think "outside of the box" for this one especially because of their stack-ability. This takes shape into serious consideration.

I think Protector One is on a good track as well. Different materials are another thing to consider. By making a list of ten things, you can include more "typical designs" in case that's what their game calls for, but you can also include more "out there" designs and those are what might make or break your "pitch". If they said create TWO designs for this mysterious game, then you might be in trouble because your options are severely limited. Make sense? Maybe?

Anyway, I think this is an amazing design challenge. I like that it can incorporate artists very well.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
What's the 'little boxes' song?

I'm putting a glass crate in my list. Glass doesn't go out of style. Plus, the fragility adds a new dimension to the basic crate gameplay.
http://www.ocap.ca/songs/littlbox.html

and to get back on topic - I'm thinking about small lego-like boxes that come in different shapes and sizes and can be used to build diffrent structures.
Facebook profile
Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaca8 View Post
By making a list of ten things, you can include more "typical designs" in case that's what their game calls for, but you can also include more "out there" designs and those are what might make or break your "pitch". If they said create TWO designs for this mysterious game, then you might be in trouble because your options are severely limited. Make sense? Maybe?
Yes! This challenge should remind you that game designers needs to have thousands of ideas, not just one or two good ideas.

The "Little Boxes" song has been in my head, too, because I've been watching the TV series Weeds on DVD (that's the theme song).

Okay, let's see some ideas that aren't made out of tickytacky!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

OK, got one:
Cratos (lame joke/reference, I know) - a large creature native to the planet <some planet name> that retracts to it's shell when threatend, the shell is big enough to hide behind (or in, if it's not occupied)

(2 down, 8 more to go)
Facebook profile

Last edited by TG1 : 06-25-2008 at 09:13 AM.