Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

Im thinking something towards the line of a companion cube which has multiple uses.

Anyway, here are some ideas I thought of:

Elastic Cublit - Sort of like a transparent-like, elastic cube capable of repelling (non-sharp) items with a velocity limit. This means anything such as a knife, sharp glass, or bullets will penetrate the cube and ultimately leave you crouching behind a popped balloon. It will be able to repel certain things like RPGs (provided they don't explode on impact), any blunt-type object weighing less than a ton (or a garbage disposal perhaps).

"Sticky Box" - I kind of got this idea after the Katamari challenge. This box will snatch up anything that hits it as long as its the same size or smaller! It will grow (just like a katamari does!) and eventually blocks out what ever your trying to get away from. With a certain amount of force, you (the player) will be able to push it. It does, ofcourse, have a limit to its size, so it won't go rampaging across the map (or where ever you may be playing) sticking everything on its body. Note that it only apply to metal objects since the game is Sci-Fi based, it wouldn't make sense having all sorts of things attach to a box (this one is magnetic!).

'Boing' Crate - This crate is especially created to bounce around where-ever you throw it as long as nothing else attempts to hit it. But if you shoot the crate while it ricochets off a wall and is going in your direction then it will break its velocity. This crate is versatile because of its unique properties. If you are able to anchor it to the ground, it will build velocity and releasing it will send it flying through the air like a rocket, hitting anything that passes its course and of-course, launching you up with it if you happen to be on top.

Ugh.. not enough brain power to comprehend any more ideas.. must.. get.. sleep! Il post some more of my ideas later :P
toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #22
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I'm having a really hard time with this challenge. I remeber playing a game with a Sci-Fi crate in it, and have been trying to remeber the game's name, instead of working on the challenge.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

*GWAH*

From the deepest pits of Edmonton, I come forth. Gah, what a crazy while it's been.

Sorry I haven't been on the forums as much. We moved a little bit earlier than expected and ended up with 10 days of overlap in lack of internet access. I feel like a caveman who is being introduced to it for the first time... god, did you know people actually post in forums? WHOA.

Anyway I barely read the challenge, but have read some of the posts in here. Since I am pretty much too exhausted to think right now, I will probably wait for the next challenge to try really hard. Oh and by the way, I don't work for Bioware (yet). I will be reapplying with a portfolio in the coming months. For now I am an HMV Inventory Analyst. I ship and receive things.

If these have already been done, please just pass over them or feel free to break my fingers. They're only vital in everything I do, no worries.

Blobs - Plain and simple, you're on a world and there is experimental goo everywhere. Use it to make stairs, ladders, slides, supports, etc. The goo is also highly flammable and withers away after flames touch it. It also sticks to walls, itself, other characters etc. Not bad for some goo eh?

Trees - Where do crates come from? Trees! And there are trees generally in any environment so why not use them? Maybe not big trees, but they can also be propped up to make walkways, ladders, traps etc.

Psychic Energy - Sci Fi always needs something to do with enhanced mental capabilities. So why not have just concentrations of energy your character can see that can be pushed and altered into shapes your character might have seen allowing for unique puzzles (ex: transform the energy into a sphere, and get it into an air duct and then turn it into a box to clog the air duct or just to stack.

Magnets! - Everyone loves magnets, just imagine a factory of magnets. Kind of similar properties to the goo, but imagine throwing an intense magnet at an enemy and watching their armor or weapons attach to it. Heh. Sweet, but I am biased.

Those are just a few, hope I inspire someone to create something better. I can give my thoughts on other people's if they'd like. By no way am I affiliated with the opinions of the authors or creators of the challenge and it really is just my opinion. I haven't won yet, so I've nothing to boast about other than constructive criticism!

Sincerely,
The Tim (Reporting Quasi-live from Edmonton)

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
swordmaster29

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

My go:

Hermetically Sealed Cylinder - suitable for any space-based, nuclear, or biological scenario. Throw on an appropriate sticker, or even an energy field for the rounded part of the cylinder, and hard top and bottom. Stable when set on the ground (unless tipped), can be stacked and thrown, and can contain something. If you use an energy field for the outside, you could make it unbreakable except in certain conditions: such as when hit with an energy weapon or thrown at something. Imagine two uses conditions for the energy field: turned off when hit with an energy gun, exploding when hit with a plasma gun, and immune otherwise. Suitable for hiding behind when the enemy isn't using either of those two, or possibly thrown and then shot with plasma as a make-shift grenade (sacrificing the item inside of course).

Salival Globs - your alien enemies (and potential overlords) have nothing but sharp claws and a jaw. How do they store their things? Cover them with saliva! Unfortunately, they cannot be stacked so well as the tops are rounded, but they're sticky enough that you can pick them up and thrown them at a wall and get them to stick. Using this, stick them up a wall like a ladder, or use them to just boot yourself up a step. Furthermore, hit them with a weapon, and take off the saliva to see what they've "stored" (maybe just drooled over).

Old Munition Shells - back when the war first started, huge 450mm rounds were in use. Now that the war is over and the world is a nuclear wasteland, the mutated inhabitants have taken to putting stuff in the old casings and bending the tops over. Use them to stack, take cover in, open up, put stuff in and close again.

Energy Boxes - okay, so it's a box, like your typical crate. However, everything inside is suspended between 8 nodes (e.g. corners of the box). Here there is no real metal, and depending on polygon requirements you might want to display the insides, or just have an opaque covering. They are stackable (so long as the nodes are connected, say auto fitting thanks to magnets). Thanks to the fields, these can even be climbed upon. And how about a device late in the game that allows you to change the node positioning: increasing a dimension of the box to increase the height to hide behind, or long to use as a bridge, but not really decrease-able to smaller than default.

Alien Carapace - once again, using the aliens. However, this was a war that human were winning until the tide turned when the inter-dimensional beings came to take over both species at once. When supplies in the front region got scarce, the front line soldiers began using the exoskeletons of your enemies to store their goods.

Bone Container - too many zombies have been killed, and too few factories remain to make new boxes. Next best thing? Boxes made of zombie bones! Really, just rectangular prisms with a bone texture on the outside, still, does everything a normal box does, with that world of death feel. Been done, but maybe not a bad choice.

Hmm, that's six, i'll try to thing of four more later. Any thoughts or comments?
swordmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #25
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordmaster29 View Post
Hmm, that's six, i'll try to thing of four more later. Any thoughts or comments?
I really like your ideas especially the bones and the shells - it's a good use of what might be the game environment, but one of the challenge instructions is:
Quote:
You may add a few words to each item about the source of inspiration or explanation for why it would work -- but be brief!
so I think you should try and describe each item in less words (This is only my opinion based on my understanding of the challenge, I might be wrong)
Facebook profile

Last edited by TG1 : 06-26-2008 at 12:43 AM.
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #26
apatriarca

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss42

After two intense weeks of study I have finally come back. I also forget to submit my entry for the one button challenge ... So I havenít a lot of time to think about this challenge but this is my first idea:

Crate pet. A simple box that fluctuate and follow you. It can be used to contains things, to move around... The idea comes from Portal: companion cube -> friend -> dog -> crate pet
apatriarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #27
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss684

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordmaster29 View Post
Energy Boxes - okay, so it's a box, like your typical crate. However, everything inside is suspended between 8 nodes (e.g. corners of the box). ... And how about a device late in the game that allows you to change the node positioning: increasing a dimension of the box to increase the height to hide behind, or long to use as a bridge, but not really decrease-able to smaller than default.
That is awesome. Might be hard to implement in a user friendly fashion, but awesome nonetheless.

Off-topic, did any of you see this thread? It's like, an alternative design challenge but without the spoils...
It's a little wacky due to the many restrictions, but that's what makes it interesting as well.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #28
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Here's what I came up with:

1) Electronic parts (resistors, capacitors, etc)--the rectangularish ones can be stacked, all can be moved, smashed or used to store electricity/energy. If the right parts are connected, they can create an electric circuit. Parts with a high voltage will give the player an electric shock and so can be used for blocking.

2) Styrofoam coolers--essentially your basic crate made of styrofoam. Better than wooden crates at storing fragile items, biodegradable items, and living tissues

3) Metallic cubes with gridlines on them--can be used in a more abstract game. Metallic surface + grid gives a futuristic taste and it can pass off as data if the game takes place inside a system (think .hack like world) or be future technology

4) Electronic scales--have the rectangularish shape that allows them to do most of what crates can do. However, the player can also step on them to weigh themselves. If the player weighs too much and steps on the scale, the scale will break. If they weigh too little, they will be unable to move, throw, break or do much else. Can be combined with Wii Fit technology to take the player's actual weight for endless possibilities. Also would work in a game that utilizes gravitational fields.

5) Rainbow Galactic Rings--can be thrown like frisbees, stacked to form warp tunnels, or contain items in their center. Great for a sci-fi My Little Pony game

6) Energy strings--inspired by String Theory, which states that matter is made up of energy strings. Multiple strings can enclose items in nets/cages, and the strings separate when shattered by a player/NPC. Individual strings can be used as whips or combined with other strings to form membranes that can temporarily seal off an entry/exit.

7) Protons--good if the game is on the quantam level. Can be glued to other protons using neutrons to form atoms. Can be moved by electric/magnetic fields. Can be smashed using a particle accelerator to release quarks and energy. Also can attract/manipulate electrons.

8) Planets--good for a mega large scale war between gods vs. men kind of game. These can store objects on their surface that are dropped in their atomosphere. Can be shattered/thrown/moved by godlike figure or a super powerful battleship. Stacking would consist of pushing a smaller planet into orbit of a larger one

9) Laptops/portable futuristic computers--these don't contain items, but rather blueprints for them. The blueprints can be extracted and then the items can be created using in game 3D printers (these exist today, so they'll probably be common in the future).

10) Hollow totem poles--good if the game requires travel back in time. Also many of the themes that deal with natives (primitive/natural vs. advanced/industrial, colonization, frontiers, foreign invasion, etc) are also common in science fiction, so these could be used to allude to deeper themes in the game. Can be stacked on top of each other to form bigger totem poles.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #29
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss684

Tinfoil covered wooden crates. Used by the surpressed human factions. The tinfoil prevents the mind-reading aliens from detecting what treasures the crates contain.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #30
Skyreal

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I like they way TimEdwards and swordmaster29 think. There is definitely LOTS of room for imagination here. Don't limit yourself, don't allow your experience to fool yourself into thinking that there are any restrictions. Heck, the company is even called Sci-Fi Games, which is basically the go ahead for coming up with anything you like! More as a reminder to myself than anything, I'll list a few things.

Who says stacking objects must have 90 degree corners? Plenty of obvious shapes stack, and then some other not-so-obvious ones.

Who says containers have to be large and hollow? It really depends on what you're trying to store, and how you're going to store it, doesn't it?

Who says blocking items have to be solid, or even liquid? As long as it's something that forces or prevents movement, right?

Who says movable objects have to be light or small? There are plenty of ways to move things, physical strength is simply the most common.

Who says crates are always lifeless? It might fit into some contexts to have crates made of living organisms - something similar to lemmings, perhaps.

Sci-Fi doesn't necessarily mean the game is set in a high-tech world.

Of course, trying to think too far out of the box just results in some ridiculous mess, but there is so much room for graceful creativity that the trouble I'm having now is trying to decide which 10 are the best (or most appropriate?) ideas to submit. I guess the key phrase for me is "essentially a crate, without being a 'crate.'"
Skyreal is offline   Reply With Quote