Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
EsCh3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Looking for some criticism on my portfolio

I'm starting to job hunt after finishing a college degree in game programming, and I made a portfolio, just wanted to get some objective opinions on it.

My portfolio is at http://www.killthepixel.com and any advice is greatly appreciated
EsCh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

Sorry I cannot offer any advice because I am trying to start game development, but I was just curious, how long did it take you to develop those games? Was it your game development education alone that helped you create those games with the XNA framework or previous programming experience as well. According to your resume it seems like you have been working for a long time now, I was just curious when you got into game development and how long did it take you to grasp all the concepts? The presentation of your website is great, it would definitely catch the eye of recruiters and such. Thanks and good luck!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Overall, very nice. I do like the commentary over the videos but there are a few things I personally dislike:

> Flash website. This is a personal gripe but I have Flash blocked on my browser because I find that many Flash applications like to slow my browser down and spike the CPU. This meant that I had to take the time to disable my blocker to look at your portfolio.

> I can't use my scroll wheel in your mini sections.

> Text is a little small and the mono-type font is hard to read.

> I would much prefer a much more detailed written description per game rather then bunched up in a tiny section of the screen.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466
Thumbs up

Well done, those are some sweet games and the website looks very swish. Thumbs up!

Personally, I would make source code avalilable to download seperately just in case a potential employer would like to just quickly browse some of the code to get a feel for the quality / style. Also, although nothing too important, I think it would be to your advantage to make your resume available to download in several formats (ie. doc, docx, pdf, rtf, etc.).
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
EsCh3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thanks for all the comments

@Duckman
It was a combination, in my previous experience I never programmed anything like this, but it certainly helps a lot because I had programmed a lot already, so getting started on a new language or framework is really easy for me.

@yaustar
yeah, you are not the first to complain about it being in flash, I do see why people might prefer just a clean html page, but what can I say, I can't make html look as nice hehe

the scroll wheel is a good idea, I know flash supports reading the scroll wheel for text fields, never tried it for other stuff, but I will check if I can change that.

and I might extend those text narrations or just put the small paragraph and a rad more link to more detail explanation, but since I cover all the explanation on the videos I wasn't sure a text version would be useful.

@Adrir
I debated a lot about the source code and finally decided to not put it up because it would include additional materials like the 3d models and such that were the work of other people in my team and it doesn't seem fair to distribute them.

Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps
Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
I think it would be to your advantage to make your resume available to download in several formats (ie. doc, docx, pdf, rtf, etc.).
Good point. I know some HR departments much prefer .doc over .pdf.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
dzeligman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss88

I"m just another random student, but I def agree that the font is really hard to read and Flash is probably not the best choice. There are some really spiffy things one can do with ajax these days that I'd use over flash.
I'm in the process of developing my own portfolio site so its interesting seeing someone elses.

The only other comment I can give is more detail possibly on the architecture / design decisions for each game.
dzeligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
EsCh3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

well... I got a job!! haha

Fortunately my portfolio did the trick, Ill still do some of the improvements u guys suggested, thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

That was a little quick. :/
Old 06-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
EsCh3r

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

yeah hehe had been looking for like 3 weeks, I had already done an interview a technical test and a second interview with this company and today I got a formal offer good times