Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Leviathan278

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default Programmers Needed, For Video Game

Midnight 13 is a Sci-fi/Fantasy RPG currently in production, It is of high importance to further the games development that we have programmers to code the proprietry game engine. Do you classify yourself as a talented programmer with the hobby of videogames, Then we need you!

We already have a game engine for our project but it is very early in development and there is no longer a programmer on the team that can further it, It is written in C++ and has support for OpenGL 2 but we are planning on supporting 2 versions of OpenGL and DirectX sometime in the future. DirectX 10 to take advantage of the most advanced features DirectX currently offers, DirectX 9 so that our project is supported on XP machines and people arent forced to spend several hundred dollars on Vista just to play our game. OpenGL for people who simply prefer OpenGL for whatever reason, Support for 2 currently which is the latest version out, And 3 which will be out soon for the same reasons DirectX 10 will be supported.

The engine has a very basic framework and is unable to display anything as it hasnt got file loaders within it, So alot of work will need to be done but it wont be from scratch.

We are entered in a competition with one of the largest Australian Universities and our submission is due at the end of August, I have taken this opportunity to give our team a driving force and a goal to aim for. Our submission is planned to have an early portion of the games storyline playable with alternate branching versions the player can take depending on their decisions. The engine will need to be programmed to the extent that it can run all the things required for Midnight 13 to be playable even at their simplest level. For example we have a very indepth system for battling enemies but at this stage we will be using a skeletal version with alot of the more advanced functions non existant, And from this framework we will then build onto it in the future.

Whomever wishes to join will need to work fairly fast to get everything running to a skeletal extent by preferably the end of July. So that the next month can be used fixing bugs before submission and further advancing the gameplay from the planned simplified systems.

We are looking for easy to approach programmers i could freely discuss the implementation of different elements into the engine and will follow instructions on what to do but also taking initiative in adding features for example obvious things most 3D engines now have like Anti Aliasing, Texture filtering, Etc

Email replies to leviathan278@hotmail.com

This job is not paying and people who join will likely do it for the enjoyment they get out of producing something this big and expressing their creative talent, However when the game does go on sale in the future, Everyone involved in the production will earn a cut of the profits and will then get paid regularly like most jobs to continue on the job for future products.

Last edited by Leviathan278 : 07-03-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Leviathan278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan278 View Post
Whomever wishes to join will need to work fairly fast to get everything running to a skeletal extent by preferably the end of June.
Hey are you one of the sales guys from my office?
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Leviathan278

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxon View Post
Hey are you one of the sales guys from my office?
Nope i don't work in an office complex, And i am quite bad at advertising so i wouldnt be caught with a job anything like sales. o.o
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

In all seriousness, given the short time frame, wouldn't it be easier to use an existing engine or framework like Ogre3D?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Leviathan278

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Part of the rules for the competitions are everything must be proprietary. It would be a waste of time and effort coding the game into one engine just to transfer it to another shortly after.

And Ogre3D from what i know is only capable of graphics, Not physics or sound or anything else.

I am not expecting or asking to have alot of flash difficult features implemented, Just certain file formats for 3D models, Textures and sound working so graphically and soundwise the game can be shown at its most basic level, And as mentioned in my earlier post, Simplified versions of the actual functions of gameplay like the battle system etc.

If anyone does wish to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1461

Quote:
Nope i don't work in an office complex, And i am quite bad at advertising so i wouldnt be caught with a job anything like sales. o.o
You mean July right? Otherwise that would be an impossibly tight deadline!

Good luck with the project!
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir View Post
Maybe not, it depends on whether the number days remaining is stored as a signed or unsigned value. If it's unsigned then it's just wrapped around and we have about 11 million years (or if it's 16 bit a meagre 179 years) to complete the project.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1461

Quote:
Maybe not, it depends on whether the number days remaining is stored as a signed or unsigned value. If it's unsigned then it's just wrapped around and we have about 11 million years (or if it's 16 bit a meagre 179 years) to complete the project.
lol, that's ace!
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Leviathan278

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:

Good luck with the project!
Sorry yes i do mean July, Accidentally typoed and put June but just fixed it to save from confusion. I dont think anyone is a good enough programmer to finish what they start before they start it.

Regardless i do need people still to help me do what i started this post about so if anyone can help, Email me and well take it from there.

Last edited by Leviathan278 : 07-03-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
I dont think anyone is a good enough programmer to finish what they start before they start it.
Ah, I know reverse psychology when I see it!