TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
Translation of languages (sorry! It's a game widely used for ESL/Learning any other second/third/fourth language >.<)
*sigh*

This challenge reminds me of a Southpark episode where every original idea this kid thought he had was met with the response: "The simpsons already did it".

Right now every idea I have I later remember it was already done in Whose line is it anyway.

Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
*sigh*

This challenge reminds me of a Southpark episode where every original idea this kid thought he had was met with the response: "The simpsons already did it".

Right now every idea I have I later remember it was already done in Whose line is it anyway.
Well, that's what you get this day and age. It's impossible to have a unique idea (thank you very much, interweb).
But! If you post it before anyone else does, you have proof you thought of it (or copied it from elsewhere) first.

My original idea is called 'I observe'. You have to say: 'I observe, through my optical nerve, something beginning with Marco...', and then everybody jumps in a pool and screams 'Polo!'.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

TG1, you just gave me an idea. I'll post it when I get home from work.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
TG1, you just gave me an idea. I'll post it when I get home from work.
I wonder if it's a game where one kid describes an event and the first kid to remember which simpsons episode it was in shouts: "The simpsons already did it!" and then needs to describe the event in the episode. if a kid shouts out without a real event to describe he loses points.
could work out with any popular long running show (friends, seinfeld, CSI etc.)

(I'm almost sure this game has been already done somewhere... )
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
iL DuCe

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariol View Post
Ok here's a simple one.

You can play this with more than one player but for this example I'll just use two players. The players take it turns to count upwards, but as well as saying a number the player must name an object that they can see. They also have to be able to see around them a certain number of that same object at the time they have to say their number. Depending on what number they are upto in the sequence will depend on how many objects they need to find for their go. The higher the number gets the harder it will be to progress in the game. If any player can't proceed to name the correct amount of objects then they're out.

If you play with more than two players, when the first player's out the remaining players will start again from one. The last person remaining will win.
I could be wrong, but I believe we are not allowed to use props. Which means using items around you as part of the game. I was thinking of a game that would include seeing items as well, but dismissed it because of this stipulation "You cannot use any props..."
iL DuCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Quote:
*sigh*

That's the exactly the same reason why I can't think of even one original idea. Wikipedia is evil for this xD
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
iL DuCe

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

This is indeed a challenge…I was going to use a game my brother and I used to play (we named the “Movie quotes/actor-actress game”). However, according to the rule guidelines, the game cannot be similar to any games currently existing, which is unfortunate because we had been playing the game years before the “Six Degress of Kevin Bacon” came out and rendered the game I wanted to use in this week’s challenge useless…

Anyhow, I’m including it in hopes that it may stir up some conversation. I’m also going to add some additional aspects to the game to appeal to a wider audience. Part of the problem with the “Movie quotes/actor game,” is it has a narrow audience.

See below for details:

Movie Quotes/Actor-Actress Game

Player A begins with naming a movie, an actor or actress from a movie, or quoting a line from a movie. The game the follows as noted below:

If Player A names a Movie – Player B must name an actor or actress from the movie or quote a line from the movie.

If Player A quotes a line from a Movie – Player B must name the movie the quote was in or name the actor or actress that cited the quote.

If Player A names an Actor or Actress – Player B must name a movie the actor or actress is in or quote a line the actor or actress has cited in any movie.

This sequence continues from Player B to Player C (or back to Player A if only two are playing). Any number of people can play this game so long as they connect the movie/quote/actor.

Example game:

Player A cites the quote “I see dead people.”

Player B can answer by saying the movie “Sixth Sense” or the actor that cited the quote, “Haley Joel Osment.”

Player C (or Player A if only two players) must then say the following:

If Player B answers “Sixth Sense,” Player C (or A) can state another actor from the movie “Sixth Sense,” Bruce Willis.

If Player B answers “Haley Joel Osment,” Player C (or A) can name another movie the actor has played in, such as “Pay It Forward.” And so on and so forth…

The game sequence follows as a challenge-response. See below for the correct sequences (Challenges is in bold while response is in normal type):

Movie – Actor/Actress or Quote
Actor/Actress – Movie or Quote
Quote – Actor/Actress or Movie

I’ll add a post later with a variant of this game. It includes historical events or movies, historical figures or actors/actresses, locations of historical events or where a movie takes place, historical quotes or movie quotes, etc.
iL DuCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Quote:
The game must not be based on an existing game (that is, you can't say "It's just like Never Have I Ever, except..."). And while there are many common rules among various spoken-word games, your game must be original in some major way.
But what happens if the person that submit the game thought of the idea on their own without knowing a similar game exist? xD (Referring to the translation game)

I'm looking at the wording of the rules to make sure there's no loop hole. As for props, the "I SPY" example requires visual props, not sure how that works. I'm looking into the finer details hoping we are not overlooking anything obvious like the last challenge
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
I'm looking into the finer details hoping we are not overlooking anything obvious like the last challenge
Er, what did we overlook?

As for the 'props'-issue, I'm betting that the presence of objects for 'I Spy'-type games is acceptable, as long as there is no possession of objects required.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
I wonder if it's a game where one kid describes an event and the first kid to remember which simpsons episode it was in shouts: "The simpsons already did it!" and then needs to describe the event in the episode. if a kid shouts out without a real event to describe he loses points.
could work out with any popular long running show (friends, seinfeld, CSI etc.)

(I'm almost sure this game has been already done somewhere... )
lol. Close, but not quite.

The Originality Game

A player tries to think up of an original concept, idea, creature, etc and then describes it to the other players. The other players then have to try to "disprove" the concept/idea/creature's originality by saying where it has first appeared before, who was the real originator of the concept/idea/creature etc and when. They get one point for each correct fact. When a player lists one or more of these facts, another player can "object". When a player objects, they argue that the instances given by the other player were not the true origins of the idea/concept/creature, and they have to list what they think are the true origins. One player will act as a judge. Judges have the final say in which player is more correct.

Example:
Player A: What if the Earth is actually round?
Player B: Sorry A, but Christopher Columbus thought of it first.
Player C: I object, it was actually Aristotle who thought of it first.
Player D: I object your objection, it was actually the Simpsons.
Judge: I say it was the Simpsons. Player D gets one point.

It could be either an actual brainstorming exercise or just a trivia game. Essentially, it's the game we've all been playing all along with these challenges.