Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #21
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

@Protector one
The last challenge most of us assumed that the game must be digital until someone mentioned boardgame or something and then that snowballed into a socio-experiment.

See, you just found a loophole (or eh... area of potential interest , now we need a few more to think outside of the box.

Last edited by OSD : 07-10-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: EvilLlama posted before me xP
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #22
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
lol. Close, but not quite.

The Originality Game

A player tries to think up of an original concept, idea, creature, etc and then describes it to the other players. The other players then have to try to "disprove" the concept/idea/creature's originality by saying where it has first appeared before, who was the real originator of the concept/idea/creature etc and when. They get one point for each correct fact. When a player lists one or more of these facts, another player can "object". When a player objects, they argue that the instances given by the other player were not the true origins of the idea/concept/creature, and they have to list what they think are the true origins. One player will act as a judge. Judges have the final say in which player is more correct.

Example:
Player A: What if the Earth is actually round?
Player B: Sorry A, but Christopher Columbus thought of it first.
Player C: I object, it was actually Aristotle who thought of it first.
Player D: I object your objection, it was actually the Simpsons.
Judge: I say it was the Simpsons. Player D gets one point.

It could be either an actual brainstorming exercise or just a trivia game. Essentially, it's the game we've all been playing all along with these challenges.
That judge must be one smart cookie, otherwise s/he will be messing up a lot of stuff. Although this game sounds like one of the discussion group we had with world religions...

Think maybe you should slim it down some more? Otherwise it might end up as a bickering match between players (or players hating the ignorant judge)
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #23
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by iL DuCe View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe we are not allowed to use props. Which means using items around you as part of the game. I was thinking of a game that would include seeing items as well, but dismissed it because of this stipulation "You cannot use any props..."
I think citing visuals within your immediate environment is acceptable. But you can't interact with -- or "possess," as someone else put it -- the objects in any way.

Also, it's inevitable that your game may be similar to an existing game, but as long as it is unique in some major way, then it's fine.

For example, the game "I observe with my optic nerve" (too funny, by the way) would not be original enough.

However, a game that's a little like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon but uses movie quotes AND actors AND has at least one new rule could be acceptable.

What do you all think? How many rules should you have to change before you can call it a unique game?

Do you know the rule-of-thumb for this kind of thing with cooking recipes? There are hardly any original recipes any more, so what most cooks say is: You can use anyone else's recipe, but you have to change at least three things before you can call it your own. An example of three changes would be: eliminating one ingredient, adding one new ingredient, and changing the amount of another ingredient.

You might want to think about game play rules in this way, too.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
iL DuCe

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
I think citing visuals within your immediate environment is acceptable. But you can't interact with -- or "possess," as someone else put it -- the objects in any way.

Also, it's inevitable that your game may be similar to an existing game, but as long as it is unique in some major way, then it's fine.

For example, the game "I observe with my optic nerve" (too funny, by the way) would not be original enough.

However, a game that's a little like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon but uses movie quotes AND actors AND has at least one new rule could be acceptable.

What do you all think? How many rules should you have to change before you can call it a unique game?

Do you know the rule-of-thumb for this kind of thing with cooking recipes? There are hardly any original recipes any more, so what most cooks say is: You can use anyone else's recipe, but you have to change at least three things before you can call it your own. An example of three changes would be: eliminating one ingredient, adding one new ingredient, and changing the amount of another ingredient.

You might want to think about game play rules in this way, too.
Thanks for clarification. I like the cooking recipe metaphor. It helped me put things into perspective. I'm looking forward to this challenge
iL DuCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #25
jtrembla

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default The translation game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
three changes would be: eliminating one ingredient, adding one new ingredient, and changing the amount of another ingredient.
As a French speaker, the first game I ever though for that challenge was a translation game. So as it is my first idea,I will share it with you guys:
This game can be played by two or more people. Before you start the game you must select two languages (French, English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, etc.). Player A chooses one word in one of the languages and asks another player the translation of the word in the other language.

If they cannot find it, Player A has to give the translation. In the event that Player A does not know the translation; he is out of the game. Otherwise Player B is out of the game, if there are only two people in the game; Player A wins. If Player B found the translation, he asks for a translation. The game continues until there is only one person left. Let's see an example with two people:

A: What is the translation for dog in French?
B: The translation is chien. What is grenouille in English?
A: Hummm, I don't know.
B: The translation for grenouille is frog.

In that example the Player B won. Therefore the only thing the players need is knowledge in two languages.
I wondering if this idea is enough to be my origninal design. The actually game of translation do not have a winner or looser. The speaker do not need to know the translation.
jtrembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #26
Synth6983

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrembla View Post
As a French speaker, the first game I ever though for that challenge was a translation game. So as it is my first idea,I will share it with you guys:
This game can be played by two or more people. Before you start the game you must select two languages (French, English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, etc.). Player A chooses one word in one of the languages and asks another player the translation of the word in the other language.

If they cannot find it, Player A has to give the translation. In the event that Player A does not know the translation; he is out of the game. Otherwise Player B is out of the game, if there are only two people in the game; Player A wins. If Player B found the translation, he asks for a translation. The game continues until there is only one person left. Let's see an example with two people:

A: What is the translation for dog in French?
B: The translation is chien. What is grenouille in English?
A: Hummm, I don't know.
B: The translation for grenouille is frog.

In that example the Player B won. Therefore the only thing the players need is knowledge in two languages.
I wondering if this idea is enough to be my origninal design. The actually game of translation do not have a winner or looser. The speaker do not need to know the translation.
Only problem I see with any game using Translation is that many people don't know a second language. Say Person A knows french and Person B doesn't. Person A could easily cheat and say "Ado're" means Mother in French when in reality I think it means "Love"...
Synth6983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
AlTheiuMaster

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

a spare idea i had... please forgive me if i got it wrong

Title: “One, Two, Over!”
Group: Any, but recommended 4 to 8 people
Procedure: 1st Player will say a word. That word must only be 1 or 2 syllables long. He/she will only say half of that word, front or back, if the word is 2 syllables long. From then on, the next player needs to continue by saying a word then another player with another. They continue by saying a word that –
1st letter of the word corresponds with the last letter of the 1st syllable word OR
1st letter of the word corresponds with the last letter of the 2nd syllable word where the alternate syllable is NOT said. The player must think of an appropriate 2nd syllable to join up the 1st one. (Eg – Taf-FY Mess-Y/SIAH) The 2nd player announces the full word before joining up with the next word.
Players get a 10-count to say a corresponding word before they lose a chance. Players who lose all their chances are out. They can opt to have 3-8 chances if they desire. Last player with chances left wins. No words may be repeated.
Example- 1st Bee; 2nd Egg; 3rd Goner
1st Gone-r (Gone pronounced); 2nd Egg/Rag (Both correspond).
AlTheiuMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #28
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Sounds like the English version of Shiritori
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiritori
Only need 1 or 2 more modification of your "ingredients"

Last edited by OSD : 07-10-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #29
Marco Roy

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrembla View Post
As a French speaker, the first game I ever thought for that challenge was a translation game.
W00t, someone else from Québec! Welcome, jtrembla! I like your idea because it can help people learn a new language, if nobody cheats like Synth6983 mentioned.

I didn’t have time to give this challenge much thought, but here is my idea for now:

“Mystery item”
This game needs three or more persons to be played; one game master and two players.
The game master thinks of a mystery item and starts the game by telling a hint to the players. Players must then use that hint to find the mystery item. For each guess, the game master tells them if it is a valid one or not; a guess is valid when it’s first letter is one of the mystery item’s letters and if it is related to the hint. The winner is the first player to guess the item.

Example:
Game master: “It is a fruit.” (a peach)
Player 1: “Is it an apple?”
Game master: “That’s a valid guess.”
Player 2: “is it a strawberry?”
Game master: “That’s an invalid guess.”
Player 1: “Is it a cherry?”
Player 2: “Is it a blackberry?”
Game master: “That’s an invalid guess.”
Player 1: “Is it a pear?”
Player 2: “Is it a peach?”
Game master: “That’s it!”
Player 1: "Is it a chair?"
Game master: "You lost. And that's invalid."
Marco Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
OSD

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss55

Edit: I think I will just shut up before I ruin anymore good idea in the making >.< This challenge knocked my brain into overdrive and bordering on the obsessive.

Last edited by OSD : 07-10-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Must stop comparing.....