Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I'll try that then. It's only ~380 characters, but still seems long-ish. Thanks for reading.

The Golden Apple

The Golden Apple is a "hide-and-seek" game of sorts, where 'players' (the iPhone community) will hunt for apples scattered across the internet. Apples come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and animations and players can collect the apples by clicking (I guess ‘touching’ would be a more appropriate verb) on them. Each apple you collect will be stored on your iPhone as well as accessible from a PC with an internet connection. Anyone can see your "Apple count" as well as look at the individual apples you've collected in the past. Apples can sometimes contain discounts or special offers to the websites they're found on (endless opportunity here), and can be traded or given as gifts within in the iPhone community.

Occasionally, people from the iPhone community would be able to give apples as gifts to non-iPhone users via the PC so that the game can be constantly displayed to potential customers. The discounts attached to the apples would still be valid through all transfers of ownership, limited only by an expiration date (if enforced by the host company).

Companies would pay a very small fee or charitable donation to have an apple located on their website for people to grab. Apples would only be clickable (touchable?) via the iPhone.

There would be a central website dedicated to these apples, which would showcase different feature apples each week (or day, depending on the amount of apples there are). There would be sections for the following:

1. The newest ‘apple’ locations
2. Websites that are offering the best ‘apple’ deals
3. Riddles and questions for people to hunt for unique apples
4. Apples that are dedicated to education, charity or special recognition

Each section would contain roughly five different apple choices. The website obviously wouldn’t be limited to these four sections.

Not only would this introduce a new reason to buy the iPhone (very interactive, giving/trading apples, great discounts), but also a means to increase traffic and potential clients to websites that participate.

An apple icon was considered for brand recognition purposes. Hopefully I didn't think of something that's already being done, and hopefully I'm on the mark with the challenge's description, but who knows. I've never held an iPhone, let alone owned one. Let's hope my lack of iPhone experience doesn't de-rail my idea.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Zooch : 07-16-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Clarification
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

Zooch,

This is an awesome idea. It makes good use of the technology and involves a broader community as a whole.

Have you considered having a special award/prize/discount for the top Apple Collector?
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Zooch,

This is an awesome idea. It makes good use of the technology and involves a broader community as a whole.

Have you considered having a special award/prize/discount for the top Apple Collector?
Thanks!

I considered having different "top" awards, such as most apples of the same color or most animated apples; not just the most apples total.

Each title would be given a special, unique award (be it discounts or gift cards or a special signature) for their obsessive efforts.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

Very cool!

As you mention, these apples tied in with promotional events would be a great attraction. Free MP3 downloads, special video content and ringtones...a reduction in the massive iPhone bill...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Zooch, what makes this game especially suited to the iPhone? Currently, I get the impression that this game could work just as well as a general browser game ('general', as in, not just for iPhones).
Protector one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Zooch, what makes this game especially suited to the iPhone? Currently, I get the impression that this game could work just as well as a general browser game ('general', as in, not just for iPhones).
This is one of the points I was worried about. The easy answer is to say the software package used to support this game would be the sole property of Apple. iTunes is handled the same way - There's plenty of other subscription, pay-to-listen websites out there (many are better than iTunes) but Apple still thrives because of it's death grip on the ability to play music with your iPod. For the longest time, the only way to use your iPod was to buy music and movies from iTunes. Those walls are starting to fall now that Apple soaked a reasonable amount of money out of that market. Now that the portable music buzz is gone they're looking for other outlets.

But that's the easy way out of your question. It might be good enough for Apple but I think I can do better. I'll get back to you once I come up with a reason why the iPhone is the only handheld device that can reasonably play it.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

This challenge does appear to imply that we should try to make an iPhone game make best use of iPhone technology.

However, does that mean that it should be platform specific? Many games out there are great across numerous platforms. Why should we try to limit that portability? If the game is simple and engaging and can be played on cell phones, blackberry-type mobile devices, or a browser, why should we limit ourselves?

I guess this comes back to what I was asking earlier. What sets the iPhone apart from all of the competition? Is it simply a beefed-up cell phone with a neat way to interface? Or is there more to it?

Maybe a game that uses a unique feature of the iPhone would have to involve finger manipulations on the touch screen. These could involve casting spells (or a modern/sci-fi equivalent, or a 'skill competition', or,or,or...SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!) and whatnot as in the interface devised by lionhead studios for Black & White.

Of course, what would be the difference between doing this and simply waving the mouse around the screen? Can the iPhone interface handle multiple points of contact simultaneously?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Can the iPhone interface handle multiple points of contact simultaneously?
Yes. As for your other questions, do some research, you lazy git!
Protector one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #19
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Competition. That is why it needs to be just for Apple. You are not making it for iPhone users, but for the company who plans to distribute it to iPhone users. The game has to be designed just for Apple iPhones, so Apple can use it to get one step ahead of their competition. They will get mad at you if you make a great game that can be used/distributed by their competitors.

I'm not so sure of this, but I think the iPhone touch screen can differentiate between different types of touches. For example, it knows the difference from when you just tap it to when you're pinching it and so forth. If this is correct, then there are ton of possibilities to play with.

I think I'm sitting this one out as well. Busy week. But I look forward to reading all the great ideas you guys come up with.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Quote:
Can the iPhone interface handle multiple points of contact simultaneously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
I'm not so sure of this, but I think the iPhone touch screen can differentiate between different types of touches. For example, it knows the difference from when you just tap it to when you're pinching it and so forth. If this is correct, then there are ton of possibilities to play with.
the iPhone supports http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

================================================== =======

Alright I’ve gathered my thoughts based on your question. I decided to give you more than one answer since your question is ultimately “game-breaking”.

1. Verizon and Sprint just came out with their newest phones, which are nearly identical to the iPhone. These phones have many of the same qualities that the iPhone has, and a few that are better. The one advantage the iPhone has over these companies is that they have no online presence. Apple isn't just a phone company - they are already a household name for computers, operating systems, music and video players, cell phones and various other software packages. My idea relies heavily on consumer use and trending, which is something Apple is much more capable of pulling off compared to the other cell phone producers.

2. Apple is well versed in the use of software limitations (i.e. iPod) and the iPhone is no exemption. Apple can set up legal agreements with the companies involved that state the company can only use the "Apple" logo to support online networking. In other words, only one special-clickable-logo-for-cell-phone package per site. If Apple were to impliment this now, there would be no competition. There would be plenty of time for companies to jump on board with the idea, and with Apple's brand recognition (back to point #1) the companies would be more eager to join before another company could establish a major foothold. Competition wouldn't be overwhelming.

3. I can only assume the first two points only satisfied a small portion of readers, so here's my third point. There's a software package currently available only to iPhone users called GarageBand, where you can create your own ringtone for $1. This leads me to believe it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to say you can impliment the further use of the consumer's apple collection.

A software program could be built solely for the iPhone that would let you perform a few different tasks with your apples:

I. Combine your apples to create new ones, blending traits from two or more apples, sometimes yielding new or additional rewards.
II. Build apple trees that would eventually result in farms, yielding unique rewards.
III. Create dressing rooms to further customize your apples
IV. Create custom movies that include your apples, apple trees, farms and all their glory. Obviously convertable to YouTube format!

Rewards could range from non-monetary to monetary. Free iTunes downloads, gift cards, the discounts offered by involved companies that you can only get through Apple's "apples" (lol), new titles and ranks, etc.