Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Razehell42

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Fullsail GameArt Students/Grads

I been looking into Game Art schools and talking to some students/grads of other school programs. But I'm looking for people who have or are taking the "Game Art Degree" at fullsail.

I can find a lot of people talking about the Game design/programing course, but don't see many Game Art students.

How would the course relate to a talented artist(in the traditional respects)?
-Would they be teaching you a lot of basic stuff you may already know?
-Would you be better off in a more art oriented school?
-Would you be better of in a more computer oriented school since your art skill are already present?

How would the course relate to a someone with more 3d art skills, then a
traditional art skills. (Someone who models as a hobby)
-Can you get a "traditional" art foundation? (I know they teach you this stuff but is it enough to feel like that a "foundation" is there?)

How would the course relate to someone with only high school level of an art background.(My high school had clay sculpting, painting drawing, normal art class and photo for example, nothing crazy). I know full sail doesn't require portfolio submissions and am fully aware you just need your high school diploma/ged but...
-Will someone with basic art knowledge, fundamentals and skills find the program accommodating or overwhelming?
-How harshly are you graded on actually look of work/projects. (My simple scrappy looking mouse vs the kid across the room with the ridiculously sick looking dragon lol, I know they don't grade best to worst but you should get what I mean)

I've always been drawing my whole life, nothing I ever pursued but there is obvious talent in my hands and mind. I only have school notebooks and some sketch books and models in maya to show for it.
Some other schools seem too serious for me, but I'm very serious about perusing a Game Art career. I've bounced around from job to job after high school and finally feel like I have the drive and focus to go for it.

I have heard many stories about FS, bad and good, but almost all are from Game design/Programing. Does anyone have horror stories about the Game Art Program? Success stories??

Partial funding from my relatives rides a little on being at arms reach or an hour or two drive or so from me. So that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of FS cause of the distance from me. But New York is also an option but I don't see much going out there for me, but I'm still up for suggestions on anything. Schools you think are better, cheaper, better for my situation/skills or anything you want to add in.

Thanks in advance!
Razehell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Geffex

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Hey there,
There are a lot of schools available to learn the 3D skills you need for Game Development but it is interesting that you are looking for the foundation. This is just great. The foundation creates such a stronger 3D Artist and companies will notice it. The first thing companies told me is how they were impressed with my obvious foundation skills and my understanding of how to make Art instead of a 3D model.

I am from Fort Lauderdale, Florida (about 3 hours south of Orlando) and I was looking into two schools when I started out 4 years ago - Fullsail and The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). The prices were about the same (SCAD was about 3,000 more at the time) so the deciding factor was how I felt about the school in general. I decided to visit each campus on a personal tour to get a better understanding of what the schools would teach. In the end SCAD won my money and I do not regret it. If you are looking for something extremely foundation based in the beginning, there is no better alternative then SCAD. It is rated as one of the best schools to go to for the Arts and their Film and Digital Media department (this includes Interactive Design and Game Development) has been in the top 3 every year.

Let me further go into an explanation why I chose SCAD. Over all I wanted an understanding how to make art and I wanted to be able to do what I want with my portfolio. I wanted to build stronger foundation and I wanted to focus on environments since I knew that is what I wanted to do in the industry. I also wanted a school that was focused on Design and not your basic "Okay here is the Maya/Max book and here are tutorials and this is how you model this and this is what this tool does". Of course they introduce the programs and the professors will always be available for help but they challenge you in design and rationale. They always asked me why I put something on my model or they critiqued my color theory or over all artistic feel of the environment. It was so design orientated it made me an artist that stood out instead of another "3D Machine".

Now there are things I dislike about SCAD. One is Life Drawing. This class was so useless to me as a foundation because I was environment based and this was based on human figures. But I stuck with it and tried my best and pulled out a B in the class. There are other things and one of things you need to watch out for is the difference with SCAD. Most people that go to that school expect it to be a tools school teaching you the programs every day. Well it is not. The first 2 weeks of the beginning 3D classes are basically teaching you how to use the program then after that, you won't be taught too much more. You are on your own and they will challenge your design from here on. The teachings are also accumulative. For example, you will take things such as Environment and Level Design and Digital Materials, Space and Lighting. Once you have these classes you will be in Studio I. Studio I there is no teaching of the programs at all. If you need help because you forgot something or would like to know the best way to do things from a multitude of options the professor will help you, but the class is geared toward your self goals and focused on giving you time to complete portfolio pieces. You need to be extremely self motivated and independent if you plan to go to a school like SCAD.

Over all, Fullsail just seemed like another tools and tech school. Though it did seem like one of the best T&T Schools around, it was not for me at all. I wanted to learn Art and create Art in video games and I wanted to be independent in my work and have the time and challenge to build an amazing portfolio. SCAD did everything I wanted and I loved it even though there were classes I hated (such as you have to take 5 Art Histories). After graduating from SCAD I had a multitude of interviews from top end companies. The number one thing I heard from them was telling me how my work stood out because it looked like art and everything added to the feel of the environment or work. Within a month I had a job as a Environment Artist in the Industry with Snowblind Studios and I recently won the NoGD Awards for 3D Environment.

To go to a school that you are looking for, make sure you are ready for it. Make sure you have the drive it takes and the quick learning needed or else you will be waisting your time and you will be extremely frustrated. If you have the personal drive you need then SCAD and schools like it would be a school that forms you into an Artist with an amazing foundation that will make you stand out from everyone else.

Last edited by Geffex : 07-24-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Geffex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

The Game Art Degree is new, as a Full Sail grad myself (Game Development). I would say give it some time it takes a while for them to iron out all of the bugs at Full Sail. Though when they do it should be good.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Razehell42

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Anyone know if there's a fullsail student forums or anyhting like that? Cause it's hard to find much of anything about their game art program, other then what FS tells you.
Razehell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Well there used to be one but I guess the people who ran it aren't doing it anymore. Sorry
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote