Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
MessiahSimple

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss112

ugh...loaded question...

I personally like the pressure of one week to submit, and hate the waiting time in between. At least in the week off we will have the strongest responses to bicker over. I say one week hiatus, personally.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
Well, I already know what the next challenge is, and I think you will all find it much more nurturing of your creativity!

Just endure through this one last focused challenge!

Actually, this brings up a good question:

Next week the design challenge is on summer hiatus; the following week it will be posted.

Given the option, would you prefer the above happen, or that the next challenge be posted next week, but you have two weeks to answer?

So the options are next week off or 2 weeks to submit for next challenge.
Given the hecticness of life at the moment, I'd prefer the week off. These challenges are addicting However, I think it would be interesting to see what people come up with given a longer amount of time.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Dave

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

A larger two week challenge sounds like it would be interesting!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
IanSchreiber

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
This isn't a design challenge, it's a summarizing exercise!
What makes the game designer job is so great, is that you get to make your own rules. Summarizing others' rules? Not fun. The other strict limitations (cardboard, size, printed on one side) don't help either... You can't fit many illustrations on 8.5"x5.5". Sigh.
Sorry for sounding all whiny, but I just can't seem to find the appeal in this challenge. If anyone has a sunnier take on it, please, enlighten me!
Many reasons why this is a valid design exercise.

First, it gives practice working within constraints, something you tend to do a lot as a designer (especially when working with someone else's IP).

Second, rules summaries are important. Who do you think writes the design documents? The game manual? The in-game tutorial text? The ability to take a task and summarize it succinctly is incredibly important, if you want your team to be able to make your game or you want people to be able to figure out how to play it.

Third, this is really a UI exercise. You're given a user interface and have to improve it. RISK is a pretty simple game, but at the same time, if you just sat down in front of a board and hadn't played in over ten years, would you be able to just start playing without consulting the rules at least a little? Well, if the game's interface is well designed, you should be able to do just that.

Remember, the point here is to build the skills you'll need as a game designer. Some of those skills are incredibly fun to exercise. Others are not. Which are which, varies from designer to designer. Generally, the ones you find painful are also the most helpful to your career

So quit complaining and start designing
IanSchreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

Quote:
Well, I already know what the next challenge is, and I think you will all find it much more nurturing of your creativity!

So the options are next week off or 2 weeks to submit for next challenge.
I think that if the next challenge is particulary "nurturing of your creativity" then it might be interesting to make it a super 2 week super challenge of superness!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSchreiber View Post
Remember, the point here is to build the skills you'll need as a game designer. Some of those skills are incredibly fun to exercise. Others are not. Which are which, varies from designer to designer. Generally, the ones you find painful are also the most helpful to your career

So quit complaining and start designing
Thank you, Ian Schreiber (who inspired this challenge), for joining the conversation!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Quote:
Thank you, Ian Schreiber (who inspired this challenge), for joining the conversation!
Well, naturally it was my intention all along to lure him out into the fray and get a response out of him.

Regarding the challenge, I have a nice idea about using sample subgames, but that darn diddly size restriction...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
apatriarca

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Regarding the challenge, I have a nice idea about using sample subgames, but that darn diddly size restriction...
I personally think I will follow the KISS principle here and use simple text (using typography to create a hierarchy and help the player to find what he is looking for). It isn't very creative but can be very effective.
apatriarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

This challenge reminds me of some courses I had in University where students were alowed to bring to the final exam one A4 paper, with as much text as they can fit into it with their own hand writing. I think some students acheived a Guiness record of how small they can make their hand writing and of using any available space on the paper...
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #20
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

OK, so here's what I came up with, I'm no graphical designer so it's a bit crude.
The idea started with the thought that the player can rotate the quick reference card, and it might help him/her focus on the current stage they are in, and also I think it helps use the space on the card better. I took the game peices picture from the Hasbro manual (just a mention in case of copy rights and stuff).
let me know what you think

BTW - in my submission, do I need to explain why I decided on a particular design or just submit the design itself?
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote