Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Rybo5000

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46
Default How do you motivate yourself?

(Wasn't sure where to put this)

I'm quite a motivated person, my freinds often laugh because as soon as I grasp an idea I work hard to try and make it a reality and often become depressed when it fails.

Though sometimes I just can't be bothered to do anything, take now for example, there is a C++ book on my shelf which I bought and I can't bring myself to pick it up.

How does everyone else motivate themselves to get started on something?
Rybo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Well I've never been able to motivate myself into learning C++... Truly hate that language. Brings me nothing but trouble every time I am forced to use it.
(Yes, I intend to be a games programmer and am fully aware of C++'s omnipresence. Mock (or lament) me all you want...)

For other things, I usually motivate myself by... Wait. I haven't been motivated to do anything for months! Yeah, how do you guys motivate yourself?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
freakynipples69

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

I just remind myself that if I don't do what I'm set out to do, that I'm just another lazy loser who joins the ranks of wannabes.

Not much for positive reinforcement thinking
freakynipples69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

I have the good fortune (or misfortune) of having spent several years working in jobs where imagination and thinking outside the box are not necessarily the most encouraged activities.

As such, with the perspective I've been able to gain from this experience, I am able to sit down after work and devote myself with great vigour to studying game design, as it allows me to push my creative boundaries and use my mind in new and novel ways.

Of course...that may have to do with the fact that I've just started doing this and since it's new, I'm really motivated! Perhaps you could take up a very boring and mind numbing pass time in order to give motivate you while you are doing something that is potentially more interesting. Rolling and unrolling toilet paper rolls comes to mind.

Unfortunately, no solution for overcoming the the C++ programming study doldrums seems to present itself!
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybo5000 View Post
(Wasn't sure where to put this)

I'm quite a motivated person, my freinds often laugh because as soon as I grasp an idea I work hard to try and make it a reality and often become depressed when it fails.

Though sometimes I just can't be bothered to do anything, take now for example, there is a C++ book on my shelf which I bought and I can't bring myself to pick it up.

How does everyone else motivate themselves to get started on something?
1) Make specific to-do lists. Don't put on the to-do list "learn C++". Instead, flip through the book, find a specific topic/tutorial you want to work on, and put that on your to-do list. Also, never put "work on" something on your to-do list. It's too vague, and when you get lazy/depressed simply staring at it will count as "working on" whatever it is. Break things down into smaller tasks you can finish in a day or less.

2) If something doesn't work, try to figure out why. You don't necessarily need to figure out the exact solution. Try to pinpoint when the project started getting out of hand and when/where you started to have trouble. Then analyze why. Maybe you just tried something that has too big a scope.

3) Fully plan things out before you start working on them. Yes, planning is boring, but it could save you a lot of time. Also, try explaining your ideas to your friends before you start working on them. If they get confused on something, that may be a warning sign for you to think about that part more.

4) If you're getting impatient with something you've been working on for a while, try going to the bathroom. It's hard to remember to pee sometimes, but even if you forget your bladder, your bladder never forgets about you. Plus, the walk to the bathroom will let you get away from the project for a bit, which is beneficial. Especially if you're programming/doing art, your eyes will appreciate the break.

5) Get friends who are enthusiastic about what you do, even if they don't fully understand/are normally into that kind of stuff. They'll be there to support and encourage when you're down and praise you when things are going good.

Hope at least some of this helps
Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Those are some good suggestions, Llama (well, except for #4 of course ). Where did you find them?
Protector one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2254

- Plan do work through the book in bite sized chunks. E.g. Work through a chapter a week.

- Find a rival. Usually if they are someone you hate or can't stand them being better then you, I find that it is enough to motivate me. Friendly, encouraging rivals are fine too.

- Short competitions or challenges are often good motivators.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Those are some good suggestions, Llama (well, except for #4 of course ). Where did you find them?
Friends, teachers, college advisors, even parents' advice combined with experience. Except #4, that is completely from my experience. I know it sounds bizarre, but it is seriously true. Especially if you've been drinking a ton of caffeine to crank out all/nearly all nighters. Yaustar's advice is good too.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

This is proberbly only relevent if your studying somewhere in academia, or if your job is also relevent to what you need motivating on, but I find that putting myself in a position to help a lot of people is very motiviating.

I am always answering questions on my universities' discussion board, helping people in labs, discussing tough topics after lectures and generally answering face-to-face questions fellow students who know me come up to me to ask.

Not only does the pressure of being expected to know everything and being the person to ask help alot, but when I am asked something I don't know about I get motivated to research the topic and discover the answer!

Last edited by Adrir : 07-31-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
Friends, teachers, college advisors, even parents' advice combined with experience. Except #4, that is completely from my experience. I know it sounds bizarre, but it is seriously true. Especially if you've been drinking a ton of caffeine to crank out all/nearly all nighters. Yaustar's advice is good too.
I actually agree with #4, for some reason the places where I get most of my ideas are either in the car while driving or in the bathroom, I have no idea why, maybe the it's quiet and distancing myself from the problem. it's most annoying when it happenes in the car on the way back from work and I have to wait until the next work day to try out the solution.
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote