Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
I actually agree with #4, for some reason the places where I get most of my ideas are either in the car while driving or in the bathroom, I have no idea why, maybe the it's quiet and distancing myself from the problem. it's most annoying when it happenes in the car on the way back from work and I have to wait until the next work day to go to the bathroom.
Snicker. Funny.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

I actually went back to the previous page to make sure I didn't really write that
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Rybo5000

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
- Find a rival. Usually if they are someone you hate or can't stand them being better then you, I find that it is enough to motivate me. Friendly, encouraging rivals are fine too.
How ironic, about 10 minutes after I made this thread, a newbie programming like myself explained he was delving into C++. And I must say the urge to be better than him did help alot.

Thanks so far everyone, keep discussing!
Rybo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
AsherCrestfalen

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I usually watch the special features disks on limited edition games that I have to remind myself of what's waiting for me over the rainbow
AsherCrestfalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I fail at motivating myself. I rarely get any hobby programing done and I rarely turn in school assignments on time.
That all changes this year!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
MessiahSimple

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss112

I can tell you that my motivation comes from my last job - the Army is no place to build a career for someone like myself, and given the myriad conditions I have from it, it really starts to feel like it would be the only place I could go if I don't do this. I mean it's this, back there, or minimum wage jobs that I won't be able to hold...and I've been too good at that previous job to really consider flipping burgers for a living.

That's my motivation...maybe part of it too is to tell the stories I've seen unfold so that people have a better grasp of what human conflict really means. Maybe I can help change the world in that small way. That's my motivation.

That said, DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY (navy, air force, and non-combat specialized positions would be okay though.)
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
Friends, teachers, college advisors, even parents' advice combined with experience. Except #4, that is completely from my experience. I know it sounds bizarre, but it is seriously true. Especially if you've been drinking a ton of caffeine to crank out all/nearly all nighters. Yaustar's advice is good too.
Great advice. And I totally have to agree with #4. Even today at work I had a really interesting programming problem that was driving me nuts. I got up went to the bathroom and fixed it.

I would agree with almost everything everyone else has posted. Also if you are a student look at everyone else who wants to do what you want to, now think about how to stand out. Work HARD.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #18
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Go work as a janitor for a week, you will find yourself quickly losing faith in the human race, but I guarantee you'll find motivation.

I am motivated by passion, the urge for more and the push to innovate. I have currently seen 3 ideas I've had get published when I had written them down long before they became games. I push forward for the moment because I work at HMV. It's a great job, someone has to do it, but it's not creative enough for me. I find myself in the routine now so I am constantly imagining crazy things happening like aliens taking over, or the place bursting into flames and someone unleashing a superpower to help a staff member in need.

Perhaps I'm just nuts though...

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
The Jedi Pirate

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Go work as a janitor for a week, you will find yourself quickly losing faith in the human race, but I guarantee you'll find motivation.

I am motivated by passion, the urge for more and the push to innovate. I have currently seen 3 ideas I've had get published when I had written them down long before they became games. I push forward for the moment because I work at HMV. It's a great job, someone has to do it, but it's not creative enough for me. I find myself in the routine now so I am constantly imagining crazy things happening like aliens taking over, or the place bursting into flames and someone unleashing a superpower to help a staff member in need.

Perhaps I'm just nuts though...
I worked on the cleaning staff at Ramada Inn once. Never has a job motivated me like that one. I've never made so many beds in my life, nor has my back ever wanted to break so badly x.x;;;

You know you hate your job when you go to bed, dream an entire workday, then get up the next morning and find that you're exhausted and now actually HAVE to go to work.

I wished the place had burst into flames so I didn't have to make more beds. So I guess that makes us both crazy.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I worked as a janitor at a dentist office lets just say they have some nasty stuff. Janitors unite.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote