Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183
Default The Elder Gamer.

Despite what you may think this topic is, it is about us. The working class men and women who grew up on games, and continue to play them as our free time decreases.

I was argueing with a friend who told me he hates it when games are long. I scoffed and completely disagreed, until today. We have played more one hour games or quick games than ever before and I find myself lured more to Puzzle Quest type games than Lost Odyssey. I own both, but play Puzzle Quest 50x more than any other game? I have beaten it inside out and upside down but I can't figure it out... but I think I have!

In Puzzle Quest, I accomplish quests, experience, coin, loot and battles in a relatively short period of time. Part luck and part skill, I have completely become obsessed with it. Now Lost Odyssey, I got hooked from day one, with its Final Fantasy style gameplay but found myself not putting forth the effort to continue. All kinds of people complain online about this, that and the other thing when in all reality I find myself playing my DS more than any other system. I can play it in bed, the bathroom, the bus, the dinner table, outside or many other places but even when my 360 is a mere 2 feet away I find myself playing DS.

Have we become what we've loathed so much? Are the people complaining simply us where we were just years ago? I see Diablo 3 and go "Yay!" but I am actually afraid I'm not going to have the time to play it (Although Blizzard won't let me down, and I'll make time to play it). I think the definition of Casual Gamer has become more geared toward the Game Lover who was once Hardcore. Once we picked up jobs, relationships and families... we become casual. The people who are on the totem below that are the Hobbyist gamers like your mom who owns a DS or that little boy playing nintendogs.

Just an opinion piece, but what do you ladies and gents think?

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I am older now and simply don't have same amount of time to invest into games as I used to. Games that require me to spend X number of hours before I get something 'back' are immediately put at the bottom of the pile.

Games that give immediate gratification but contains a lot of depth where progression is clear and can be played in short bursts hold much more appeal.

Currently playing Bangai O Spirits on the DS.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

My wife has told me numerous times I'm all about instant gratification, I think she might be right and I think it's my gaming that has turned me such.

Although, I will make time for a few sequel/remakes AKA Diablo 3, Chrono Trigger DS, DragonQuest 4 DS, DragonQuest 9 DS... Hmm, I see a trend here!

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

Oh noes! I loved Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, DragonQuest and XenoGears! What about my RTS games? I will never surrender StarCraft!

Anyways...I'm sure I can still find time for games. I'm working full time at the moment, and the only thing that seems to be suffering is the lack of coursework to worry about in the eventing! Yay!

Maybe when I'm a late night programmer working obscene hours it may become an issue...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I totally agree I rarely have time to play anymore so I don't play a lot of hardcore games. I do play all of the games that friends tell me about but my first question is "How long is this game?" and a lot of times I feel like I am just playing for the ending. I have actually decided I want to start setting aside a little more time to play games.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I'm actually rather frightened of this happening to me. I enjoy putting an hour or two in at a time on a long game, and would be rather unhappy if I couldn't find at least that.
On the other hand, I also delve into the short attention-span world of freeware games, and beat them by the dozens in an hour or two, so I can see the appeal.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

I walked into Gamespot a few weeks ago, went absolutely ballistic with excitement and purchased a ton of games I'll never get a chance to go very in depth with. Between my job and preparing for school, time is very little.

Right now, I'm currently hooked on Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire version for Gameboy Advance. One nice thing is that you can save it at nearly any point in the game. A lot of hardcore games out there have yet to learn this. I don't really play epic games for the ending, since if I get really anxious for it I could look it up on Google/YouTube...granted beating the game is still a preferred way if time allows.

Lack of money is also a problem. I'm just a poor student, and I honestly can't afford to purchase every new console that comes out/every $30-$50 game I would love to play. It's agonizing.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

This was true for me for the last several years, working full time and studying as well. I only managed to finish a game every couple of months or so. My system is that I only get the highly recommended/most interesting looking games, I don't bother with games I'm not sure I'll enjoy (even though this sometimes happenes even in highly scored games). After my interest in a career in game development re-sparked about 6 months ago, I try to play more games, with a varying degree of success. I do prefer games that end after a while though, I admit that I finally gave up on Oblivion after I decided it was just too long and the list of other games I wanted to play didn't get any shorter...
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
simonwest80

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Maybe this is why i still basically only play WoW and/or Counter Strike. I sometimes delve into something else but i soon get bored. Maybe this is the quality of the games maybe it is now so in bred in me?? But most people are correct i dont really bother with long games any more. Or is it the difficulty level? Oblivion is quite difficult to master and the story is so complex with so many side stories that if you leave it for a long period of time you need to start again as its too hard to remember everything you had done before. Is it the introduction of nifty little things on the PSP and DS (stand by mode) that allows you stop in mid game and then pick it up at a later point. The reason why i play counter strike so much is definitely because of the instant gratification thing - i can jump on kill 10 people and jump off and feel quite good about myself and all in 10 minutes. I cant be bothered though to load up say AoE do two turns and not see anyone, kill anything or even make a boat :S., this i do just save for special occasions friends and at least a day without the wifey.
simonwest80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

I guess that's why some people keep to the classics! WoW & SC are proberbly going to be the next generation's classics. :-)