Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
earth

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default earth's portfolio

Hello. I was referred to this site by a friend of mine... but I'm not sure if he has an existing account here or not...

Anywho, the reason I bothered to register was because I have succumb to making a desperate attempt at getting my work recognized. I am seriously at the end of my rope about it.

All I've ever known is art. Am strictly a concept/project designer and strictly into physical composition. Digital manipulation does NOT interest me in the slightest. I don't know code, am not interested in programming. I am brutally obsessed with the macabre, and like many others like me... I don't know why. I have been working on a cohesive portfolio for the passed 4 years.

I have a very developed game concept.
All I'm basically looking for is somebody that matters who'll take interest in my work, if that's possible. Hopefully that'll get my show on the road, so to speak. EVERYBODY wants their work noticed these days... but if you see this and actually feel something when you look at it, my job is complete. I regard my work as more art driven than 'game' driven, but I do intend on portraying my portfolio in a game one day.

Thanks for taking a look if you're in here...

Last edited by earth : 09-20-2008 at 07:29 PM.
earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
earth

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Apparently we're limited to 4 images per post... so:

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
earth

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
earth

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

That should be enough of a start I think. Constructive criticism is much appreciated!

I have a friggin ton. Will post more once these see the light of day, so to speak.

Last edited by earth : 09-20-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Stradigos

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Sorry to hear that your having trouble getting recognized =/. If it's any consolation, I like your work, even though it's not my kind of art lol. Your very good at what you do =]

You've never thought about taking things a step further and working with Photoshop or Illustrator? That might actually help you. In fact, it's going to make your good work even more amazing. Photoshop and Illustrator don't make people good at art. The programs use the very tools real artists use, and help it become digital. I'll tell you right now, if you take a few classes at the local college on illustrator/photoshop, your work is going to pop like you've never known.

//Stradigos
Stradigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
earth

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

I do have more complete concepts, but I haven't scanned up the majority of them. As far as functionality is concerned, they basically just give a better perspective of what to expect in terms of how my concepts will be portrayed in the game. Here's one:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1402/scan0002lf6.jpg

Here are some more larger scale images.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6989/scan0001za1.jpg

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/194/scan0001mk0.jpg

http://silenthill5.net/forums/pictur...&pictureid=680
Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
DerekLeBrun

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

If you aren't aimed specifically at game concept art, what are you trying to do with your art? Do you have a website portfolio?

In the game industry, only sticking to traditional mediums will only hurt your chances of getting noticed. It is rare to find professional game concept artists who do not use photoshop for painting at least some of the time.

If you are just looking to turn these ideas into a game, your best bet would be to get a mod started with some other people. If you are looking to get your concepts into a professionally developed game, you would need to build a reputation and portfolio as a good game concept artist first. This would entail drawing many game related concepts outside of the horror genre, getting a game concept job, and then gaining a lot of experience in the field.

You could possibly get your art into a game without ever entering the game industry, but you would still need to be an established artist with a really good reputation, and probably gallery showings or well known illustration work in other industries.
DerekLeBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Concept artist roles are very rare for games companies. We only have a few despite having ~200 developers on our floor.

In additional to the advice above, your art that you have shown so far has only one theme. You will need to be much more flexible to increase your chances.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Deo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

You need to be willing to stretch to more then on medium. Learning Photoshop as pointed out will help you a tone in your chances of getting in. Pick a coloring program: Photoshop / Illistrator / Painter are all great programs that are just another form of a "tool" in your arsinal. A concept artest needs to be able to design and draw more then creatures and horror.

A concept artiest is a master of illustration but in the game industry you need to be more. Can you design rip sheets and Character concepts as well as lvl concepts. Can you give the new guy in the pipe line a feeling of the color for textured as well as massing of the character? Design a site it doesn't need to be flashy it can be vary simple in lay out just do one that is appealing to the eyes and desplays what you do. Make it strait to the point of what you want to do.

I hope this helped you!
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Concept artist roles are very rare for games companies. We only have a few despite having ~200 developers on our floor.

In additional to the advice above, your art that you have shown so far has only one theme. You will need to be much more flexible to increase your chances.
Unless you want to work on Clive Barker's Jericho 2 :P
(Although, I suspect Clive Barker himself does the concept art for the games, as he did the art for his action figures, and a couple of his movies.)
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote