Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Game Studies
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

" the shooters at Pearl Mississippi played video games with friends." --there ronnoc10, are examples of killers who played games. Granted, it is an isolated case.
http://www.visionandpsychosis.net/Ps...ness_Cause.htm
According to this site, people are at a higher risk when they are concentrating heavily on something while there's a billion things going on around them, which is why you see cubicles in a lot of work places. One example would be playing a gameboy while walking down a school hallway--although the article the battery doesn't last long enough for it to have much impact. The brain tries to figure out what all the moving objects visible only in its peripheral vision and tries to develop reflexes every time something close by moves. The person is unaware their brain is doing this. However, although cumulative, it is not enough to trigger a mental breakdown. And the person needs to be concentrating heavily on anything, not just videogames, so it could be books, schoolwork, etc as well.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
I think the problem isn't the game made them, or inspired them... but they made a choice to re-enact a part of a game that was against the law. Why does no one ever see that sometimes, individuals make the poor choice?
I think it is a defensive part of human nature. If there is a threat, people want to find the source of the threat and eliminate it forever. With 6 billion+ individuals in the world, it is scary for people to think that anyone, anywhere, could randomly start killing people for no better reason than a "poor choice". People want to stop the problem permanently, at the moment it happened/immediately after, without having to worry about it reoccurring again. Videogames are a bannable. Human beings aren't. Since games also are very graphic/violent, it seems logical for people to make the connection.

What confuses me is while videogames are getting the blame, people have no problem with things that have a much more logical connection. But as you stated, you don't want to touch it with a 10ft pole, so I won't get into that