jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by benscorpi0 View Post
what do you have to show on the challenge. do you have to show concept, document, a 3d model, or all of the above? and in curiosity what will be the prizes? its my first time entering btw.
The only thing that's required is text. Please see the complete challenge for details (the email address, word count, and so forth).

You may submit additional materials, such as sketches or artwork, but it is not required.

The prize is that the three best submissions are highlighted in an article on the site. (And once before, a book was given as a prize, but this challenge doesn't have any particular physical prize.)
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #22
flowbug

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Before anyone shouts "Lame!" please hear me out. Though gamers tend to gravitate towards bigger, shinier bangs... I'm thinking of something stripped-down and basic.

My biggest problem with FPS weaponry is that while the biggest, best weapons are usually pretty spiffy, the most lack-luster of the lot is your old tride-and-true no. 1 slot. While a starting weapon is MEANT to be low-impact, just so you have a chance to trade up later... what do you guys think of a beginning weapon that's utilitarian (and just plain cool) enough to actually be relied upon from time-to-time (even by choice)?

Without revealing too much too soon, that's going to be my goal. What say you to that?
flowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbug View Post
what do you guys think of a beginning weapon that's utilitarian (and just plain cool) enough to actually be relied upon from time-to-time (even by choice)?

Without revealing too much too soon, that's going to be my goal. What say you to that?
Not too different from James Bond sticking to his trusty Walther, I guess. Even Freeman's crowbar matches that pretty closely.
Personally, I feel every weapon in a game should be awesome in its own right. So yeah, you might be on to something, though not something necessarily unique.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
flowbug

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Not too different from James Bond sticking to his trusty Walther, I guess. Even Freeman's crowbar matches that pretty closely.
Personally, I feel every weapon in a game should be awesome in its own right. So yeah, you might be on to something, though not something necessarily unique.
Yes, it's hard to compete with Bond's signature pistol and I agree that Freeman's crowbar was a BIG improvement over many of the FPS starter weapons that came before it.

Remember that this one has to fire projectiles. My idea is for a weapon that is virtually silent. No flash or bang. Has greater reach than a foot, fist, crowbar, or grenade... but is not limited to a single form of ammunition. So it's a bit like a crossbow in form and function, but a bit more versatile.

You'd start with a basic source of ammo, but could later pick up several upgraded forms... forms that are not only more potent, but may provide the means for more creative and engaging play.

Think of how an assault rifle with a subtype of grenade launcher changes its tactical use based on what you're firing. My weapon would never rapid-fire, but it would be similar in terms of having several tactical options.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #25
apatriarca

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbug View Post
Only prob I foresee with this one is that "Gravity guns need not apply." While this does have a more specific function, the terms are general enough to disqualify.
I think the name itself isn't enough to disqualify my idea. I think the gravity gun was only an example of weapon that doesn't qualify because it doesn't shoot projectiles.
apatriarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #26
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

A very initial version of the idea I had, it needs some more content before I post it, but let me know what you think of the general idea (I also need to read the challenge details again, to make sure I didn't miss anything) I'm thinking of calling the game "Bang Bang":

The game
The game is a First Person Shooter, exclusive to the WII console. It involves a group of children playing imaginary battles from all sorts of eras (Wild West, World War 2, futuristic space etc.). An evil magician casts a spell on them, making their battles and enemies real.

The weapons

The weapons are imaginary finger weapons, the ones that children make when they play, but because of the evil magic they fire real projectiles. For example – making the shape of a gun with your hand and pretending to pull the trigger will actually fire bullets, or making a shape of a shot gun using both hands, loading by moving the two hands together and then shooting by pulling the trigger will fire real shells. The Wiimote will be used by the player to make the imaginary guns movements, according to the weapons currently available (depending on the era) and the amount of ammo left for each weapon. Changing weapons will just change the position of the characters hand, also showing a hint on the screen for the player indicating how to hold the Wiimote.
This weapon will be fairly easy to implement for a group of students, since hands animations probably exist in every existing game engine, and no weapon art is required.
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
flowbug

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatriarca View Post
I think the name itself isn't enough to disqualify my idea. I think the gravity gun was only an example of weapon that doesn't qualify because it doesn't shoot projectiles.
Ah, spot-on. You could be right. I'd like to hear a 'yay' or 'nay' from an official source... but with that point well taken, I say go for it. It is a cool idea.

Slight variation that would definitely be legal could be a magnetism gun that sticks to metal-carrying enemies and also attracts them/their gear to other magnetic objects or surfaces.

If you hit their gun it could disarm, and maybe knock them prone. If they wore a metal suit, they might just go sliding into that giant tank of explosive chemicals.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Marco Roy

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

That's a great idea TG1! Very imaginative/innovative/new!

For the ‘amount of ammo left for each weapon’, however, I think your design would be best suited with unlimited ammo and frequent reloads, like most rail shooters. Moreover, I know no kids who count their ammo when firing finger guns
Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
flowbug

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Yes, TG1, that is a great idea. I agree with Marco's rail shooter comment. Perhaps you could even expand the gameplay with concepts that playground children tend to employ.

For example, instead of picking up a weapon off a downed opponent, maybe you could just "tag" them and it is transfered to you. You could even have the character spout "No tag-backs." as soon as it's armed. Of course, this would have to be employed judiciously to keep from swamping the gameplay in the type of chaotic escolation that plagues real life playgrounds.

Also, I would tone down the "reality" of the projectiles. You don't want a Wii game with features that will appeal to children slapped with an MA rating from the ESRB. Rather than being an evil magician that causes the children to fire truly deadly ammunition at enemies who will bleed and ooze gore... it could cause hits that knock them out. Not to say it should be sugar-coated or cartoonish either, but you could employ the same tricks movie directors do for a PG or PG-13 action title.

Alternatively, you could go the other way entirely, and make it closer to the horror genre. It could be deadly real, but the kids could have a grim appearance and the game a dark enough tone that it's obviously not-for-kids. Just not sure with it being a Wii title if you'd want to exclude that side of the audience.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Thanks for the comments, this is great input
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote