Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
carrot

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Jobs in game art + learning disability

Here's the story: My 20 year old brother with a natural talent for drawing wants to get into the gaming field. But he has a slight disability.. mainly with reading, memory, and pronunciation of words, which therefore creates a bit of a hurdle for him in trying new things. Other than that he's always been very insightful and intelligent.

While he has never seemed to have a problem finding his way through a video game and understanding and remembering anything he's interested in, if he were to use something tedious like Photoshop or Flash he gets very discouraged and quits. Then again, I'm no teacher and he was just playing around...

My question is.. how likely is it that he could find a career in the art side of gaming? I know the first step would be some sort of degree. I went through a tough graphic design program with ridiculously callous professors and students, so I don't know if he would just get overwhelmed in school.

I know it's not very specific, but any thoughts on careers or schools?
carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

What type of job would your brother be interested in?

Most digital art and 3D modelling programs would require skills in software such as Photoshop and Maya. If it is difficult for him to develop these skills in these pieces of software, then he will have to develop the determination to keep at it. Furthermore, many jobs in concept art and other traditional art are outsourced. This means that jobs only exist in larger companies, and where they do exist, you would proberbly be communicating on a regular basis. So your brother would need strong communication skills.

In the UK universities are legally obliged to give students with disabilities support. Are there similar support schemes in the USA?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
carrot

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

That's the thing.. we don't know specifically what different kinds of jobs there are or their requirements. I was trying to find out more about that..but maybe character design of some sort? I downloaded the career guide here but haven't read through it yet.

There is some sort of support for students with disabilities here.. I don't know the details though.
carrot is offline   Reply With Quote