Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default 'Other' Game Writing Jobs

"The Professional Game Manual Maker" is an interview with Belinda M. Van Sickle, who has one of those "other" jobs in the game industry.

She started her own company, called Game Docs Inc., and she mostly creates video game manuals. She creates other kinds of game documentation, too. And she has been involved with a game marketing and advertising conference (she was a judge for awards at the MI6 conference).

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

That is a really interesting article. I always read the instruction manuals, and it's always exciting to come across a really well done one, like some of the GTAs, Assassin's Creed, or WarCraft III.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I may sound harsh, but I think manuals are going to disappear due to digital delivery, or at least they're going to be needed less... It's something like artisans who don't find work anymore...

...wait, I didn't think that even if the manual is digital, someone should make it.

Anyway I'd like to have different manual layout based on whether the manual is going to be read on a screen or printed. I think screen reading needs a lot of patience and in the case of long text pdf files it takes also a good sight.
I had this problem when trying to read The 2008 Career Guide by this very site: I was on my bed (wireless mouse) and couldn't read it even if I zoomed for the width of the page.

Bottom line: manual creators should output 2 layouts: one for the printed guide, one for the screen one (horizontal layout, in this case).

Last edited by ccontinisio : 08-27-2008 at 05:14 AM.
ccontinisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccontinisio View Post
I may sound harsh, but I think manuals are going to disappear due to digital delivery, or at least they're going to be needed less... It's something like artisans who don't find work anymore...

...wait, I didn't think that even if the manual is digital, someone should make it.
I believe that the delivery method will simply adapt. There are many effective forms of communicating information digitally including interactive eBooks, wiki sites and other content presentation and managent systems.

There will always be the novel and nostalgic value of printed material, however. Personally, I prefer printed manuals that I can read through before I start a game up so I have a basic understanding of what the game is about and what to expect.