Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183
Default Portfolio & CV/Resume Help?

Hello all, Tim Edwards here just needing a great deal of help. I currently am without an online portfolio and only a resume instead of a CV.

My school offered no help with these things other than everything I worked on in school and no help finding a job. Now I float among the sea of people sans life preserver. I've looked online and found some terrible guides, and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion? The only things I've worked to date are customer service and retail positions, so my resume seems awesome if I want to work in those fields forever.

Also does anyone know any good hosting websites for portfolios?

The positions I'm frequently applying for are Writing, Animation, Design and Quality Assurance.

Any help is appreciated as I believe my resume might be losing me the jobs. Thanks in advance and wish me luck!
Tim Edwards

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

Do you have a resume and covering letter tailored to each position and role?

As for hosting, Google pages is a decent bet. You can buy a domain and have it forwarded to your portfolio.

I have a look over your resume a little later.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

I do not. I'm so used to applying for positions where my resume applies for every single one that I'm not sure how to specifically tailor it to any single one of those jobs.

I made cover letters for each one, hoping that would matter, but thus far I'm sure my entry went unnoticed. Also, if it helps at all I am really trying to land an entry level position at Bioware, so I could even tailor it further with who is doing the hiring.

Only problem is it's all done online and currently I have nothing that sets me apart from anyone else. Also working gets in the way of working on a portfolio, I've been managing my time but the short amount of time I have makes it hard to accomplish anything worthwhile while broadening my skill set.

Starting to feel the doom, but not giving up hope. Thanks again for any help in advance.

http://tjedwards.blogspot.com/
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

I would reccomend creating a skills-based CV, since you've just left university right?

This isn't my best CV since it hasn't been tailored to any paticular job yet and it needs proof reading (I've actually spotted a number of mistakes already - Technical IT Technical for the win!), however it should be enough to get you started. I only updated it a few months ago when I started a new job.

I found the best way to make a CV is to mock one up then get your friends to critique the heck out of it. Also, make sure you get your friends to proof read it until they can't bare to stare at it, because it has to be perfect.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Roxanne BP

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss50

I'm no expert, but I had a course on how make CV, cover letters and else to get hired.

Think of your CV as a representant of who you are. The first impression is fundamental here. The person who's looking at it has no other ways to know who you really are. It should be, in a perfect world, interesting, catchy AND brief. It should be tailored not only after the company you are applying, but also after you.

If I can give you a suggestion, you should make a great graphic design (not too heavy, the simpler is better) template for your CV. The best option is to include a portfolio, but if you have no time for it, try to design a CV that will show both your skills and personnality.

Hope it could help you.
Roxanne BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

Gah, forgot about this completely.

About an Art role, your portfolio currently doesn't measure against other Art portfolios I have seen very well. If you are serious about getting an Artist position, you need to up the bar.

Resume:
- Other information goes into the covering letter, there is no need for it be on the resume.
- You don't have a skills section. What software do you know how to use? Languages? Development methodologies? etc. This section should go between your Education and Previous employment.
- Drop the Easter Bunny, it really isn't fitting on the role you want and the other jobs are more relevant.
- (Personal opinion) Get rid of the objective, it doesn't add anything. Everyone who reads your resume knows that your objective is to get a job.
- Center for Distance Education has a different bullet point notation, change it to much the others or change the others to match.
- If you have space on the page, add key modules to your latest education section.
- You may need to strip the Experience section down a bit (resume is only supposed to be a page long). Possible grouping of roles where you worked in the same place?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1467

I really should pay attention to address...if you're applying to jobs in the USA, the same rules and conventions don't apply as my example...