Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
slik13

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Starting from scratch....

Hi,

over the past few months, I've been thinking and looking for a future career in the video game industry (I'm still in high-school though). As I looked around I realised that most of the programs offered required some sort of artistic skill, wich I don't really have (apart from an average talent for drawing), But I do like to use other peoples models and place them and move them around (wich is where level design comes in). I do have cheap home video game making experience (rpg maker, game maker), but I know that it is far from enough. I'm looking to become a level designer (maybe progamming too since I am very good in math, or game designer since I love to critize games and to imagine new possibilities or new things that would be cool in the game), but the problem is, I don't know of any free or cheap(in price not quality ) program that could help me learn and create things for my future portfolio.

I was just wondering if anyone knows any good programs or even books that I could get that would help me learn a little bit more about this aspect of gaming because I wanted to aply to ubisoft camp in the level design program, but it required a portfolio, I'dd love to make one if I could because other than my rpg maker I don't have much to base myself on.

Any other tips on how to get into level-design are also apreciated.

Last edited by slik13 : 07-24-2007 at 10:48 PM.
slik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

there are pretty fully-powered editors that come shipped with Unreal Tournament 2004 and Oblivion 4. These are some of the same tools that were used in creating each of those games. For the price of the game, you get access to the creation tools, as well as the mod community for any assistance that you might need in getting acquainted with the two editors.

And beyond that, there are a number of free, open-source engines out there with documentation and communities of their own. Search around for some game engines, you're bound to come across something
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

If you want a free engine that has a huge community behind it I would suggest Ogre. It's got a TONE of possibilities to practice your techniques with but sadly can't handle modern content and caps out at about 20,000 pollys on screen. But it works great for particles, 3D rendering, Post processes and has great documentation and a dedicated community that will answer your posts in as few as a a couple hours.

Or if you want a little bit more Modern stuff I would suggest either Game Studio Express through microsoft or Torque/TorqueX(XBox 360 counterpart) There done in C# but it's a good language to learn and is not a lot different from C++ or even Java. Kinda bridged the gap for my team.Game studio Express is in beta so it's redistribution is not finished and adds about 100mb to your finall project size because you have to ship all the XNA framework as well as Game studio Express and Visual C# updates this is in the fixings though. Also no particles and sometimes it messes up model imports.

Since you want to be a level designer and programmer I would suggest Torque since it has a lot of scripting and more of a Gui feel to it. Also it's more geared toward 2D games but can easily support 3D games aswell

Hope this helps.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

Yeah, the problem with RPG Maker and GameMaker is that they are 2D programs and the industry might tend to frown on them and consider them a hindrance in terms of learning today's technology. Which is unfortunate, because as retro as those little programs look, you can do quite a lot with them.

Ogre was already mentioned, and I'll second that. If you want to get up on the more preferred technology, then Unreal or even better, Torque. Gamebryo is another one though I don't know much about it. In reality, it doesn't matter which one you choose. Just find one you like and keep with it. Aside from interface and capabilities, most of the things you learn will translate across programs. It's just like learning a 3D program.

Speaking of that, let me be quite honest with you. You don't really need to have profound art skill to do what you want to do. But it does help, and it's going to make you even more valuable. You need to at least understand the principles of layout and design, lighting, value and texture, etc. I recommend picking up some basic art books... anything for Beginners should go over the basics that I mentioned. Better yet though, I'm sure there are some level design books out there that will cover the rudimentary art knowledge you might need. Check Amazon, I know they're out there.

I also recommend downloading a trial of ZBrush. While ZBrush isn't really recognized by the majority of the industry as a contender for Maya or 3DSMax, my personal thought is that it's worlds easier to understand, and it's far more intuitive as far as modeling is concerned. So if you're just starting out with making your own 3D assets, I highly recommend ZBrush. Again, once you learn how to use one 3D package, it's less of a hurdle to learn the others.

Another option is modding. I just wrote an article about this on my blog, and you can check it out here. Basically it highlights how modding could help you stand out from your competitors (other job-seekers) and get a job in the industry. If there's a computer game you're fond of, check out the modding community and see if that's something you might like to take part in. It's not going to be as 'stand-alone' as using a big name game engine to make a level, but if you're trying to flesh out your portfolio, showing levels you've made for existing games really isn't a bad way to go. Of course, I recommend having your own original level in there, for your own game idea, just to show them that you aren't dependent upon one type of engine or platform.

In response to your query about game design, personally I think the best thing you can do is start documenting your ideas and your levels. When you go to create your own original level from an original game idea, write up a concept document for that idea, and a design document for the level. Detail as much as possible, and when you've completed the level, reflect on your progress. Did you meet your milestone goals? What did you have to alter along the way? Fill out your own postmortem for your level, and include that, your concept and design documentation, and any other 'paperwork' with your actual level in your portfolio. Because again, even if you decide you don't want to be a game designer, it shows a really advanced mindset on your part, and it tells any prospective employer that you know your stuff, and you know how to be professional.

Best of luck to you.

-Courtney
Creator of Breakout! The Blog for Game Industry Hopefuls
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote