Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
totti1345

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Art Institute of Dallas Need help!

Hello, I am new here and was wondering if I could get some input from you guys about the Art Institute of Dallas.I am looking at their Media Arts and animation program.I don't know photoshop or maya but I have been drawing since I was 4 years old. I have heard good things in the past about AI, but I have also heard some Horror stories about them. I would greatly appreciate it if your guys would give your .02
totti1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
DockRock

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

I can't speak on behalf of all AI's but I can tell you about my experience:

I attended the Art Institute of Las Vegas and graduated in 2005 with a Bachelors Degree in Media Arts and Animation. They now have a Video Game Art and Design program which is somewhat lacking due to the fact that there is only 1 single video game company here in Vegas (2 now if you count the newly formed HSC labs). Other than that it's just slot gaming (which is where I currently settled). Like already mentioned by Jesse above it is a crash course of everything you need to know and you are not guided in any particular direction. It is up to you to decide what your strength's and weaknesses are and highlight those in your final reel.

I don't know how expensive the other infamous art school tuitions are but I can honestly say that for the education you receive it is significantly overpriced. It's sort of like if I handed you a computer and a book on 3d modeling and animation and gave you a quick run through of how the programs worked and then charged you $60,000 dollars for it. Although there facilities do reflect a sense of wealth, since they can purchase almost anything on one tuition alone.

Granted, The AI in Dallas might have significantly more resources at it's disposal especially since there are way more game studios in Texas than there is in all of Nevada (I think in Nevada there are 4, not including slot gaming, and in Texas there are over 60).

Ask around, there are IGDA chapters online and you could go to their forums and find out other peoples experiences attending the school.

I apologize this comment turned into a book but the best advice I could give you is to find a school where you are most comfortable, utilize all their available resources, get in touch with all the local professionals in the field and push yourself. The education isn't worth anything if you don't push YOURSELF. Don't rely on the teachers and faculty to show you the way. Some of the most successful artists in the world were all self-taught. Having a diploma will just give you an edge over the competition. Hope you managed to get this far in the post without being bored to death.

Good luck!