Get the latest Education e-news

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Default Predictions for 09

Kind of a misleading title, but the Leo Burnett Group, one of the largest ad/consumer agencies in the world, recently published theirs.
I thought it was very interesting what number 7 was.

"#7Generation Game

Video games used to be the preserve of disenchanted adolescents, but as gaming becomes a truly mass pursuit, soon we will all be part of Generation Game. With economic pressures set to encourage us homewards, the cultural clout of gaming will be further accelerated. The future of the medium is unlimited as the educational potential and social networking possibilities of games platforms are further explored. Gaming will be a fulcrum for future innovation across multiple areas. "
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

This shouldn't be in a predictions list for '09. Making predictions about a future's future in a prediction list is cheating. It's like me 'predicting': "in 2009, people will die, and those who haven't, will die eventually anyway."
Disregarding future futures, I doubt gaming will be a fulcrum for anything in 2009, but we'll see.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

In general, it's obvious that gaming is growing and it's going to grow, but it won't stop in 2009 or reach a peak, so it's pointless to say that 'gaming will become more important in 2009' because it's not a prediction, it's the ongoing present.

For example if I was going to predict 2009 of games, it would be obvious to say that massively multiplayer games are going to grow in number and importance, and that motion control will be a big deal of 2009.

Last edited by ccontinisio : 02-11-2009 at 02:06 AM.
ccontinisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Disregarding future futures, I doubt gaming will be a fulcrum for anything in 2009, but we'll see.
I disagree. Since this is an article by an ad agency I am going to stick to their point of view. They are obviously trying to tell their investors and colleagues to keep games in mind when advertising. In the last year alone we saw huge leaps in ads for and in games. Both presidential candidates used games, be they in game or games themselves, to reach a very broad market. We saw multiple bands, even some very massive bands, release their new albums in games. Last year was huge for adver-gaming.
So now they are saying prepare to market to these people because with the economy people won't be going out as much so we need to reach them with games.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Grant for president. In games, of course!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

So what upcoming games do you see contributing to this? Apart from (possibly) the 'Beatles Rock Band'-thing, I can think of nothing big planned for 2009.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

If its to be a fulcrum, wouldn't it be something new and original? Not just "band x plays songs for the Wii"?

I agree that 2009 is going to see a couple major growth spurts simply because I sometimes work with future tech, but I can guarantee that 2010 is going to be a bigger year than '09. A lot of new and interesting things will be showcasing in 2009, but it's going to take some time to master these new toys we will have and really finish producing the first waves of the future.

Also, keep in mind the dozens and dozens of super-tech things we have no idea exist simply because of NDAs and other legal boundaries.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Saroset

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
This shouldn't be in a predictions list for '09. Making predictions about a future's future in a prediction list is cheating. It's like me 'predicting': "in 2009, people will die, and those who haven't, will die eventually anyway."
I believe those are called self fulfilling prophecies.
Saroset is offline   Reply With Quote