Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
motifated

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Exclamation can i still do it or is it too late?

this post may seem kinda late or shall we say too raw to begin with compared to others i've read. also forgive my english, it's not my native language. y'all tucked in? here we go.

i'm in the asia area and i'm a musician myself and ever since i was a kid i was crazy about games and it's just recently that i tried every bit of gaming console starting from the PS1 till later. though i've also played with the sega, snes, family computer etc..but my folks didn't encourage me playing that much that's why when i finally settled on my own, i've really set my passion for gaming. here's a few concerns i'm wondering about coz i'm thinking right now of a career change, and i'm considering the gaming industry.

1. is it too late for me to pursue the gaming industry? i'm 22 yrs old now, and in my elementary and high school days , my school really didn't show any promising teaching when it comes to computers, codes, and i've only studied in a home study program coz of my job as a musician really conflicts with the working hours and school hours.

i know that in this biz there's a lot if different fields too right? you have the audio/music dept, the designers, the programmers, etc..and i'm thinking highly of the programming dept. it's a shame to say i don't have enough knowledge for now specially about codes, but i'm really determined to learn and as i;ve said before, my schooling didnt help me that much. about computers, i've been around, but really in depth, i've used macs and pc's and can pretty much solve any problems that occur with them. i've learned some in's and out's thru self study and research.

2. schooling..where to study? is online studying be recommended? is self study be advisable too? given that i'm in asia..also i've heard that gaming in japan is really something so that's my target.

3. would the programming dept be recommended? i mean, for me that barely knows codes, would it be much easier if i pick the audio dept? is the code learning really that hard or brain cracking?

i don't know where to start but im really considering joining the gaming industry. not only because of the money but i've been looking at games and i was thinking it would be a lot more fun not only playing them but making them as well.

game design is kinda not me coz i'm not that good at creating designs of my own. i'm more on technicalities like with my musical instruments, i can even go around them without reading the instructional manual.

i also heard testers and QA? is it a good starting point there?

thanks in advance. take care..anyone's opinion is warmly welcome.
motifated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

I can't answer most of your questions, but:
Quote:
3. would the programming dept be recommended? i mean, for me that barely knows codes, would it be much easier if i pick the audio dept?
I don't think you should flippintly chose like this. If you enjoy audio and all that is connected with it, then I would go into it. I wouldn't suggest choseing something simply because another choice may be harder.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

if you have musical training, why not try to become a composer in the game industry and build of natural skill. That is what I would do in your position.

If you still really really want to code then believe me when I say it is a long process and not a skill you can pickup over night. I would suggest take at least a couple of courses in class rooms over the very important languages, namely C++, Java, and/or C#. Scripting languages are easier to pick if you know and understand coding already so that can be done on your spare time.

A teacher in a programming languages course once told me to strive to learn 2 major languages (C/C++, Java, C# etc..), 2 scripting languages (Python, Lua, Perl etc..), 1 functional language like (scheme, Haskell etc..), 1 or 2 net languages (xml, xhtml, CSS etc..) and if you can a x86 assembler language. As a programmer, having a vast array of languages at your disposal greatly enhances the chances of not only you getting your first job, but getting your next job which to me seems key in the gaming industry.

An example is the newest version of a game I'm working on for the university used to be all coded in C++ and Torque script. Over the summer myself and another student are converting the code to still C++ for base classes, but all of the game resources are being built out of python modules and game assets are being adjusted using xml (kinda like how Civ VI used embedded python, though I'm not sure if they used it the same way)

Now again this is still only 'research' game funded by the university, but as you can see the development cycle of a product can change very quickly between languages.

1) your very young, you should be fine beginning your career learning code as long as you can support yourself.

2) I can't comment on that because I really don't know. I would assume a university might teach more about coding or the theoretical side of it (i.e. automata theory, data structures, good habits and useful design practice) while a gaming college would teach you more real world skills that would directly apply to gaming (I am assuming anyway). An on line course is left up to you as to how much you learn and that can only be answered by you.

3) Audio programming is not easy (at least for me ><) so I wouldn't make assumptions about particular aspects jobs. As Ronnoc said above you (which btw is great advice ^^) pick what you love doing, whether it be easy or hard cause you will be good at it.

Other then that, try sending an email to an actually game programmer and ask him to describe the different parts of the programming team (jobs and responsiblites) and when you get a response, make sure to post it here. That would be awesome =D.

There are a lot more intelligent people on this site then me, and many of whom really do know the answers to questions as they are in the industry. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am just a lowly college student with a passion for games. =P

--Jason Hooten

Last edited by Dominia : 06-11-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
motifated

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default thanks!

to ronnoc, thanks dude. a really nice point of view. i really love audio and music, which what i'm doing right now and working as a musician for like 15 years, but i also really want to explore the technicalities of a game, more on programming. thanks for the advise really.

to dominia: thanks too bro. but sadly, i don't understand most of the terms you mentioned. aahhh..that's what i'm kinda frustrated about. i can't help feel that i'm really behind and late to pursue this dream of mine. but this attitude i know will really not help me towards my goal. which is i'm trying to overcome.

btw, is there a programmer you know by email that you think can help me out? just trying my luck. hehe

to anyone who want to comment, feel free to do so.
motifated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
inihility

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I can help answer some of your questions with what I know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifated View Post
1. is it too late for me to pursue the gaming industry? i'm 22 yrs old now, and in my elementary and high school days , my school really didn't show any promising teaching when it comes to computers, codes, and i've only studied in a home study program coz of my job as a musician really conflicts with the working hours and school hours.

i know that in this biz there's a lot if different fields too right? you have the audio/music dept, the designers, the programmers, etc..and i'm thinking highly of the programming dept. it's a shame to say i don't have enough knowledge for now specially about codes, but i'm really determined to learn and as i;ve said before, my schooling didnt help me that much. about computers, i've been around, but really in depth, i've used macs and pc's and can pretty much solve any problems that occur with them. i've learned some in's and out's thru self study and research.
I believe its never too late to jump into something you are passionate about.

Quote:
2. schooling..where to study? is online studying be recommended? is self study be advisable too? given that i'm in asia..also i've heard that gaming in japan is really something so that's my target.
From what I've seen industry experts say, try to learn as much as you can by yourself, buy books! make use of the Internet! And if there is a college near you that provides game-related (or computer) courses, take them!

Quote:
3. would the programming dept be recommended? i mean, for me that barely knows codes, would it be much easier if i pick the audio dept? is the code learning really that hard or brain cracking?
In my experience audio and sound requires programming (directx, etc) as well, however I am unsure of how much it requires compared to level design, physics, etc.

Bottomline is if your serious about getting into the gaming industry, start now!

I hope this helps.
inihility is offline   Reply With Quote