Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Triene

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Question Is it what they're looking for?

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have been visiting GCG and Gamasutra for quite some time now.

I recently graduated with a BS in Graphic Design. I came out of it with some reasonable knowledge and with a new pool of ideas about what I want to do with my life, but almost no portfolio. Graphic Design is not really what I want to do (unless perhaps I could get a job doing it for a game company) and I recently set my sights on going back to school to get a degree in Computer Animation, which seems up my alley.

I guess my questions are... is putting in for a degree in Animation a good investment of time/money? Are those tech schools with the terrible commercials as useful as going to a university with a good program? I find it hard to find them credible, but someone must be going there.

Also, what other skills should I be trying to pick up to be more valuable to a game company? I'm interested in animation, but also character design, props design, and UI design.

This is sort of a long and convoluted message, I know, but... any comments would be helpful. I'm really passionate and serious about working in games, so anything would be great. Thanks in advance.
Triene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Personally, I think you would be better off learning how to develop 3D models in your own time and start trying to build up a portfolio; perhaps even join a mod team.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Triene

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thank you for your reply.

I thought about teaching myself, but I had to wonder how I would go about doing that. I'm pretty good at teaching myself things, especially if I have a book (which I can obviously get), but I have none of the software. I pirate some things, but really expensive software I just don't feel right pirating.

I also thought college would be good for taking other classes like drawing (which, amazingly, I've never taken a class in >_>), storyboarding/telling, game design, character design, etc., and that all of these would help give me things for my portfolio.

This is just my thinking... obviously I'm unsure about it or I wouldn't be here ^_^;
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Since you already have a degree in a similar field, it might worthwhile to teach yourself the technical skills or go for short course.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php
http://www.escapestudios.com/en_GB/school.html
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Triene

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for the comments... I've also talked with people in person about this, and I think I have finally come to a conclusion about it. The plan is to get a job, start earning some money to support myself (not that I haven't been trying to do that for months already >_>), and then taking some courses at community college or tech school.

I guess I really wanted to just go back to school to a really cool school for something I really want to do because I didn't get to do it the first time around... to have a do-over of my college experience. But when it comes down to it, it just isn't practical.

That's my story ^_^;
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Triene, You already have your bachelor's you do not need to waste money getting another one. Just build up a portfolio/reel of work. There are lots of 3d communities that can help you learn some decent basics of what you need to know in becoming a 3d artist. See if your library has any books on Modeling, Animation, etc... You can also go to the library to get drawing books. Drawing is a skill this will help you in becoming a 3d artist.
Maya PLE is free 3d software and is an industry standard program to learn. Just google it to get your free download. There is also plenty of free tutorials all over the web to learn the program. Any other questions just let me know. LadyAurora
ladyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
T-Rav

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks for the info. I know this was for Triene, but I'm planning on getting a degree in Graphic Design and so I was wondering just the same thing.
T-Rav is offline   Reply With Quote