Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
T.Anders

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Question What type of art is this? (pics)

I like modern art, design & style like this: (i'm not expert or anything it just catches my eyes)
Click Here
Click Here

I'm not sure if "art" is what I should be looking into or not. I don't really consider it one of my passions but I am pretty gifted in it and have not really tried anything with it. I'm a pretty basic drawer but I pay attention to details. My main passion is Astronomy, I still like art though. My school consular is an idiot but I'm looking into Virginia Tech (I'm in Richmond) but I'm not sure if interior design would do me any good for doing virtual art. If you've played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion IV or Mass Effect I basically want to know what was required of the guys who did the structures to the buildings and environment from the artistic point. Whatever they had to do is what I planned to do.

Click Here
Click Here

I'm not sure if you guys ever considered mixing real world architect with virtual architect/design but basically I'm trying to see what would be the best way to do this. Should I take interior design first then some regular art classes.. do they both brush on one another as separate subjects? I've been taking regular art since the third grade and they've never really gone into real details towards interior or architect subjects is that typical? What would you suggest someone take in order to get proper skills to do what was done in games like Mass Effect (concept/futuristic art) and general modern arts? Should I even be taking arts at all or something different? I seem to like the environment more in games.

I preordered the game and got the extra content dvd but it does not go deep into what I'm asking about here. Can a dev or someone in the industry PLEASE comment on this I've asked before only to get no response.

Thanks, Ron.

Last edited by jillduffy : 08-21-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: photos too large and not property of poster -- see URLs instead
T.Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2261

Level Design or Environmental Artist?

Both I would expect to have a BA degree, experience in using the software and a portfolio to show you can do the job.

I am not 100% sure what you are asking for.

PS. Are you sure you have asked before? I can't find any other posts by you that have asked this.

Last edited by yaustar : 08-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Well if you prefer creating environments, I'd say you'd probably be best off doing art classes. Taking interior design classes just to prepare for being a level designer is a little unusual... Could be interesting though, depending on what is actually taught (although on the other hand I can also see it being a complete waste of time...).
Before you want to make your schooling choice, you might want to try actually designing a level or two, just to see if you like it. There are many games out there that have free official level creating tools available.
Protector one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
T.Anders

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Question

Well I originally had some other photos attached to this topic so without them it might seem a bit off. So interior design would be useless? Thanks. I've posted on other sites including the Mass Effect site and Oblivions but no one from the company replied so I've just been lost. Do Environment Artists have it as hard as say Concept artists? Is it as easy to get hired for (standards?)
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2261

Quote:
So interior design would be useless?
Not useless, unusual. It is still applicable to level/environment design to some degree and may give an insight that others don't have.

Environment Artists is a very different role to Concept Artists. Concept Artists are not in demand as much as other Art roles and is generally outsourced by games companies. Some companies don't have any Concept Artists.

I am still not sure what you are aiming to be.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Quote:
I basically want to know what was required of the guys who did the structures to the buildings and environment from the artistic point. Whatever they had to do is what I planned to do.
Sounds like half concept artist, half level designer to me. But getting that exact job is going to be pretty difficult, I reckon...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I know only that sometimes you can't make what you want in terms of level design because of technical restrictions within the game. For example, the game needs 3D assets to be reusable so it's pointless to make something unique. And you can't show your 'latest artistic architecture' in the game more than one time...

...unless it's a game without those limits, in which case an 'architect' would create something unique and unseen before.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
T.Anders

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccontinisio View Post
I know only that sometimes you can't make what you want in terms of level design because of technical restrictions within the game. For example, the game needs 3D assets to be reusable so it's pointless to make something unique. And you can't show your 'latest artistic architecture' in the game more than one time...

...unless it's a game without those limits, in which case an 'architect' would create something unique and unseen before.
You mean like a MMO?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

I'm wondering if you could do a combination of level design and 3D model development, since that would give the artistic outlet, while maintaining control over the layout and architecture of a level...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
tripnfelt

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

The architectural style of the house is very Brutalist/New Brutalist.

Study something that you have an interest in else you will get bored, grades will reflect this and you will drop out. Anything in the visual arts will help.
tripnfelt is offline   Reply With Quote