Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345
Default Game Programming Challenge 3: Indirect Control

Welcome to the third Game Programming Challenge (after a rather long break)!

The Challenge
This challenge this time is to make a game where you do not directly control the main character, but instead manipulate them by placing obsticles in the world, changing their skills or any other means of controlling the game, where you cannot physically control the main character / characters. Here are a few examples of how it has been done in the past...

In Lemmings you would guide your lemmings (who will always walk i the direction they are facing, regardless of the dangers) to the level exit by assigning them skills such as "Floater", "Climber", "Miner" and "Bridger" to help them overcome the obsticles in their way.

In Chu Chu Rocket! you would direct the Chu Chu's to their rocket ships by placing directional arrows on the floor which would make them change direction.

In Locoroco you would tilt the entire world to cause your characters to roll in the desired direction.

The Deadline
The deadline for this challenge is Monday 3rd May 2010 (submissions should be made on or before this date). You may find it useful to submit your game early to make sure that the judges can run it on their computers. Source code does not need to be submitted, only the executable file and any assets it needs to run.

Submitting
To submit your game you can upload it to your own web space and provide the link in this thread, or we can set up an e-mail to send it to (PM me for the e-mail address).

Additional Information
You may use any language you desire, providing the end result can be played by the judges easily. You may reuse code that you have already written in the past. Projects can be submitted by a lone programmer or by a team. Please try to keep the file size down when submitting a game. Also if you are taking part it would be good to know, so we can judge the success of the challenge. If you need any help, or advice on any aspect of your game, feel free to ask. Finally why not make a post/thread to tell us about your project?

Judges
Results from Andrew - Mobile Games producer

The Entries
Placeholder Pawk by Nilbmar
Total Score: 22

PewPew Lazor! by Protector One
Total Score: 31

Crossfire by Killerapathy
Total Score: 0 (due to the game not functioning)

Sketch Lemmings by Claxon
Total Score: 30

The results are in! Check the judges section for links
The highest marks went to Protector One for Pew Pew Lazor!

Goto Game Programming Challenge 2

Last edited by Claxon : 08-24-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added Judge
Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Awesome. Thanks for doing this. I'm in.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Great examples you put up. Lemmings and Chu Chu Rocket are all-time favorites of mine.
I still have no clue what I'm going to create this time, although I do have an interesting Chu Chu Rocket meets Diner Dash concept lying around somewhere...

Something based on the "brooming" in curling is tempting too, just for the sillyness of it. :P

Last edited by Protector one : 03-18-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Added brooming.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Is this challenge open to people who use programs like Construct or game maker? I imagine it could be unfair to those that can actually program, but didn't know if the challenge was more about implementing your ideas or skill in a language.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Nice!! Excited as always for the revive! Great work Claxon.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbmar View Post
Is this challenge open to people who use programs like Construct or game maker? I imagine it could be unfair to those that can actually program, but didn't know if the challenge was more about implementing your ideas or skill in a language.
Yes you can use game makers if you wish, or you could take this as an opportunity to start learning a new language as part of a project. Think of it more as a challenge for yourself rather than competing with the other entrannts.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I am, the one I'm using supports Python scripting and I hope to use that.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Everyone have their concepts fleshed out yet? I am currently considering a laser+mirrors-type dealio, tentatively titled "PewPew Lazor".
Old 03-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Nope, I'm bouncing between three ideas.. lets see what ya'll think of them.

The first is a take on H.P. Lovecraft's mythos where you use fear to force your victims through the astral planes, making sure they avoid obstacles like other creatures that could devour them before you or reduce their fear and help them back to the mortal world. You'd have to balance between keeping the victims sufficiently afraid so they continue to move, but without driving them totally insane. Your tools would be sound (creepy music, massive foot stomps, etc) smell...represented by particles, your very essence...which, as a dark god could easily drive the victims insane of not used sparingly (a pulse flows from a point on the screen, out like a ripple of water.) Thats the one I've been thinking most about, but will be the hardest for me to implement.

The second is a simple idea of a lase pointer and a puppy, keeping it playful enough to follow your laser and other toys or treats through obstacle courses.

The last idea is sort of an RPG, where instead of playing as the hero, you play as the people in his life; giving him advice, chores, or if you're his girlfriend yelling at him that you need more jewelry. The hero would decide whether or not to trust you based on how previous things went for him. I'm not sure yet how battles would go, or even if there would be any battles that are played through, since the game would be more about creating a story.

Let me know what ya'll think
Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Nilbmar,

I like the last idea just for its originality. Also, you could put a ton of jokes about rpg heroes and rpg npc's in there.
Closed Thread