Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

I am also up for this challenge, I have no experience doing graphics programming so I will be learning as I go and also have a couple projects at work that might spill into my free time. Hopefully I can finish by the deadline.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Well 25% of the time allotted has gone, and I'm just wondering how people are getting on with this. Anyone finished yet?

I've been working on mine (pong with a twist) and just hope I have the time to get the visuals up to the standard I want them.

Last edited by Claxon : 11-05-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxon View Post
Well 25% of the time allotted has gone, and I'm just wondering how people are getting on with this. Anyone finished yet?
Ha! Unfortunately, I am learning as I go, no graphics programming experience whatsoever. So I'm still learning how to even get paddles on a screen. I am a long ways off. Perhaps somewhat over my head here.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

I'm doing Pong with a twist as well, and I also have a long way to go, still.
I got most of the "Pong-graphics" done (Yes, that just means I have some white blocks :D), and I think I was about to start with paddle movement when I last left the project.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
Ha! Unfortunately, I am learning as I go, no graphics programming experience whatsoever.
Well good, learning is really what these challenges are about. If you need any help or hints, let us know. With what you learn here you should be able to get into future challenges much easier. Just don't give up!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

Quote:
Well good, learning is really what these challenges are about. If you need any help or hints, let us know. With what you learn here you should be able to get into future challenges much easier. Just don't give up!
Thanks that really makes me feel much better about this. I have the basic ideas down, You have your main game loop, a class for the ball, a class for the paddles. Now I am having difficulty getting the images of the ball and paddle into the game so that I can use them as objects. I'm giving myself a crash course in all my old C++ books lol.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #17
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Are you using DirectX to do your drawing?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #18
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

Quote:
Are you using DirectX to do your drawing?
Well, I am not sure what to use, I basically created two bitmaps for the game, the ball and paddle, and added them as resources to my project. I was trying to find some help on how to use DirectX, but was having difficulty finding useful information. I told you that I am totally new to it. lol
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #19
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

DX is very powerful and worth looking into (though it can take quite a bit of effort setting up the graphics device in your code). If you just want to load from Bitmaps like you said (rather than have to start again and work out DirectX in such little time), then take a look at this page.

http://www.mvps.org/user32/gditutorial.html

The first example is a very simple program that demonstrates Blitting (drawing) bitmaps. Just change parameters 2 and 3 in the BitBlt() call to change the X,y positions of the image.

Have you ever tried working with XNA? It can really speed up the game development process (ideal for quick projects).
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
Duckman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss84

Quote:
DX is very powerful and worth looking into (though it can take quite a bit of effort setting up the graphics device in your code). If you just want to load from Bitmaps like you said (rather than have to start again and work out DirectX in such little time), then take a look at this page.

http://www.mvps.org/user32/gditutorial.html

The first example is a very simple program that demonstrates Blitting (drawing) bitmaps. Just change parameters 2 and 3 in the BitBlt() call to change the X,y positions of the image.

Have you ever tried working with XNA? It can really speed up the game development process (ideal for quick projects).
Ok maybe drawing bitmaps would be the best choice for now, thanks for the advice on that.

Actually yes I have worked with XNA (tried to make an RPG top-scroller, but was over my head as a starter project). I feel like I would complete this much quicker using C# and XNA, but I know that the industry standard is C++ and I want to know challenge myself with that.

Do you think I should just go with C# just to get this challenge done, or go with challenging myself with C++?
Closed Thread