Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
ScHiZo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23
Default Looking for Advice

I noticed everyone around here is friendly and helpful, so I thought I'd share my problem with you all. I'm trying to land a programming job in the games industry, but I've been searching for almost 4 months with only a couple phone interviews. One of the game studios came close to hiring me as I've done 2 phone interviews with them and the recruiter told me it came down to me or this other person. I'm now without any leads and I'm starting to get depressed about the situation. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and how I can better myself for a new role. I have the required education (B.S. in comp sci) and 2 years of professional game programming experience. During my time at my previous game studio, I've released 2 games which I've listed in my resume gameography. I guessing game studios are looking for more experienced programmers and people at my level (junior/mid) are missing out on opportunities. Does anyone notice the same thing or have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.
ScHiZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Hey,

First of all, don't give up, these things can take time.
Second - From everything I've read (sadly I'm not in the industry myself yet) the three most important things for getting yourself noticed are your portfolio, your resume and the cover letter (You can find numorous features on this site and others about those three), So first I would look at them - Do you have a portfolio that shows your skills? How is your resume written? What do you write in your cover letter?
If you don't have a website yet, you should create one for yourself and put your portfolio and resume there (There are also many articles on how to do that).
Last thing 2 more questions - Where do you live? where are you looking for a job?

Hope this helps (Sorry I didn't post any links, but I'm late for work )
Good luck
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

I second the "Don't give up" thing. Getting a games job can take a long time, even with a good track record. With the global economic situation right now, many companies are being careful about firing new staff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Second - From everything I've read (sadly I'm not in the industry myself yet) the three most important things for getting yourself noticed are your portfolio, your resume and the cover letter
I'd say one thing trumps all of these - Contacts. Every job that I've got so far has been down to knowing someone at the company already (or knowing someone who knows someone at the company), that was willing to put in a good word for me. You say you have experience, so it would really be worthwhile to check up on your past co-workers to see if they can suggest a place for you to go.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

I agree with both responses above too. If itís really what you want to do donít give up. Youíll never be happy settling for your second best career choice. Sounds like youíve just been hitting a string of bad luck unfortunately. But youíve got actual industry experience so youíre already on the right track, and the fact that youíre getting through to the phone interview stage does suggest your CV and demo work is selling yourself well. However as TG1 said, I would look again at your CV and covering letter and see if they can be improved that little bit more just to give you that extra help. Also have you got demo work thatís showing off your skills? I donít know what type of programming position youíre going for but make sure your demo work reflects the type of role youíre after. If you havenít got a portfolio site yet get one! That way everyone can have access to your work.

Iíve had a job as a games recruiter and one thing I know is that junior programmers (especially ones with experience) are always sought after. So donít give up! 4 months is a while to be looking but itís nearing Christmas and with the economy the way it is companyís wonít tend to recruit around this time (and may not be willing to use recruiters either). So maybe you can use this time to look into companies that you havenít applied to yet and whether that company is right for you.

One last thing Iíll say is donít dismiss speculative applications. If you like the sound of a company but they arenít actively recruiting for programmers on their website send them your stuff anyway, they can only say no. This will show the company that you use your initiative when job hunting. Agencies can only get you so far with games companies (and some may not even use the ones youíre registered with). So Iíd recommend speculative applications for a while unless youíre totally confident with who youíre registered with.

Good luck!

Junction 5 Studios | Twitter | Werdz Movies FB page
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Have another shot after the new year. In general, very few companies hire or conduct interviews on the run up to the new year.
yaustar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
ScHiZo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll definitely keep at it after the holidays and see what happens. To quickly answer a couple of your questions, I currently live on the west coast of the US. I don't have a website as of yet, but I'm working on it. I've also tried asking past coworkers for any job openings. I believe my resume is good because it has gotten me phone interviews and I've read alot of guides (including gamecareerguide's one) as to how to improve it. I'm not, however, confident about my interviewing skills, but I have done a number of them.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHiZo View Post
I'm not, however, confident about my interviewing skills, but I have done a number of them.
Then you need to improve your skills to a point where you are confident. Remember if they call you they WANT to like you and WANT to hire you. Also you might want to check out this book Programming Interviews Exposed While it is not game specific it helped me a lot with several interviews.

Keep your head up it takes some time, especially in this economic climate and time.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHiZo View Post
I don't have a website as of yet, but I'm working on it. I've also tried asking past coworkers for any job openings.
This doesn't help, how are you showcasing your work?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
ScHiZo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
This doesn't help, how are you showcasing your work?
I probably should toss up something simple... In the past, I usually direct people to links through e-mail. Is it enough just to post links to my work and a little blurb about myself?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

If you don't have a site, then what are you linking to?