Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
schnoo

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default leaving law school, going after the dream, cities?

Ok. I just completed my first semester of law school. This is NOT who I want to become. I studied abroad in Japan for a year as an undergraduate and loved it! I love so many facets of the gaming scene. I almost enjoy reading new developments more than I enjoy playing the games.

My writing experience varies. I have had one freelance piece published in my undergraduate paper, a myriad of high school pieces as editor-in-chief, and a short-lived internship/editor position on a indie gaming website.

I can move virtually anywhere and want to move to a city that has the most opportunities for me, even if it means starting by washing the windows of the main office or running errands. To that effect, what major cities have the largest concentration of game testing/game journalism offices? I know sites like IGN say they want "local" talent, so location seems to matter greatly.

This is a wonderful site; I hope to learn a lot before I make my big move towards my dream!!
I should say I would be happy as a reporter, travelling to game events or conducting interviews, or as an editor, loving grammar in an unhealthy way.

Last edited by schnoo : 01-06-2009 at 08:36 AM.
schnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
VladTheImpaler

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

seattle...
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

All I can say, never come to Italy!!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
HPPennypacker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

The answer is San Francisco. Nowhere else even comes close. 90% of the big websites and magazines are based there. It also has the highest concentration of video game publishers and developers.

The problem is that it is in the top 5 worldwide in terms of cost of living. It's pretty absurd. Plus the housing market is borderline impossible. It could take you months to find even an insanely overpriced place.

In this day and age don't be in such a rush to run out there right away though. Especially since it seems like you have no experience. Do some freebie work for a while to work on your chops.
HPPennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Moscow, Tokyo, London, Oslo and Seoul are the top 5 most expensive.

Normally I wouldn't post something so annoying, but that was a question on Cash Cab and I got it right. Hey I have to flaunt it somewhere!

Last edited by Zooch : 01-26-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
DryMeat

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPPennypacker View Post
The answer is San Francisco. Nowhere else even comes close. 90% of the big websites and magazines are based there. It also has the highest concentration of video game publishers and developers.

The problem is that it is in the top 5 worldwide in terms of cost of living. It's pretty absurd. Plus the housing market is borderline impossible. It could take you months to find even an insanely overpriced place.

In this day and age don't be in such a rush to run out there right away though. Especially since it seems like you have no experience. Do some freebie work for a while to work on your chops.
Just wanted to ask but how would you rate the cost of living in San Fransisco compared to that of new york city. I know from experience looking at small studio apartments the rent can be ridiculously over priced. When you factor in the average pay for jobs that range around 7 to 10 bucks an hour, it really takes a lot to survive let alone save out here. When i move i want to try and have the best of both, warm consistent weather and a large abundance of jobs.
DryMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryMeat View Post
Just wanted to ask but how would you rate the cost of living in San Fransisco compared to that of new york city.
I lived in San Francisco for five years and currently live in New York. I also have lived in London. London by far has the highest cost of living of the three. New York is second (I don't live right in Manhattan, which makes my rent more affordable). San Francisco is very manageable, as long as you don't look to live right in the ritziest parts.

The rents in Oakland, where many of my friends live, are much more affordable, and traveling between Oakland and downtown San Francisco on public transit is easy (though not good late at night).

San Francisco, in my opinion, is not absurdly overpriced. Look in the neighborhoods by the beach if you want to be in the city (Outer Sunset, Outer Richmond), and in Oakland and Berkeley if you don't mind commuting 20 minutes. Apartment sharing is very common there, too, so you can find a few students or working professionals (particularly in Outer Sunset, Berkeley, north Oakland/Temescal) who are looking for a housemate, and you can cut your rent in half that way.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryMeat View Post
...factor in the average pay for jobs that range around 7 to 10 bucks an hour...
Note: The minimum wage in the city of San Francisco is $9.79 per hour. It's not great, but it's better than in most cities.

California state's minimum wage is $8.00 per hour. And the U.S. federal minimum wage is $6.55 (which will rise in July 2009).
Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
DryMeat

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

Thank you Ms Duffy, that was very helpful to know. That commute doesn't sound bad at all. I'm use to a good 45 or more using NYC transit. The minimum wage is certainly higher than NYC. I'm beginning to feel that California in general is much more affordable than NYC. I only hope the females are nicer there as well. ;-)
DryMeat is offline   Reply With Quote