Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Design Challenge: Why Did Frogger Cross the Road?

This week's Game Design Challenge thread is being housed in the Writing section of the forum. The challenge is to write the story of Frogger. See the link for full details of the challenge and how to submit your answers.

And feel free to brainstorm or ask questions here.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

I'll be out for a few days this week, so if you have a question about the challenge, try to answer it amongst yourselves as much as possible. For the most part, anything goes. On the other hand, getting to the root of the challenge, rather than straying from it, always increases your odds of penning a winning submissions.

What is the root of this challenge?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
dmcclure

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss110

This is possibly my favourite of all these challenges yet in terms of it's potential for amusing results. Is the root of the challenge the idea of creating a story as a 'wrapper' for existing game content?
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
ngubie

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

This is definitely an interesting challenge. I'll really have to give this one some thought, even though I'm not much of a writer. A part of this challenge is creating a story as a 'wrapper', but the choice of Frogger is really interesting since it never really ends... What kind of story can you come up with that never ends?
ngubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

It's a common misconception that it is the same frog going across the street. The actual premise is that you are guiding multiple frogs to their, apparently interchangeable, homes.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
dmcclure

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss110

Here's what I have so far. It is a bit of a Philip K. Dick rip off to be honest! Anyway, let me know what I should change/edit as I need to cut it down a bit:

“Shit,” thought Charles Freck “Not again.”

A five lane motorway, which stretched as far as the eye could see, lay in front of him. Monstrous, misshapen vehicles with strange proportions rushed along it, following an alternating pattern of lanes he had never seen before he arrived in The Place. The tarmac sizzled in the baking heat.

“Maybe I’m in Hell,” he thought miserably, “Or perhaps purgatory.”

Even if he crossed The Motorway then there was The River. The River, with its unpredictable currents, snakes and alligators. Charles Freck did not like The River much, yet he still felt compelled to journey towards it every time he woke up here, in the filthy gutter at the side of The Motorway.

“Of course,” he ruminated “This must be Hell, or Purgatory, and I must be here to repent for all the bad things I did in my life.”

There really was no other sensible solution. All he could remember was continuing to wake up here, trying to cross The Motorway and then attempting to ford The River. So many times he had been crushed by the terrifying juggernauts which now screamed in front of him, pulled under by currents too strong to kick against, torn apart by alligators and felt the terrifying paralysis of the serpents’ venom overcome him. Even worse, he had to suffer all these indignities in the body of a frog. A frog, him, Charles Freck, the best systems technician in his graduating class!

“Maybe,” his thoughts continued “I should try and think of every bad deed I’ve ever done and my reasons for doing them and apologise for them. Then maybe I can reach my lily pad.”

Once he had seen what looked like some other frogs idly sunning themselves on lily pads near the far bank of The River. Charles Freck had been overcome by a desperate longing to sit amongst them, with a pad of his very own to bask on. He had tried to shout and gesture to them but to no avail and while he was preoccupied a snake had bitten him. Still, as far as he could tell, they were frogs like him, or at least very similar to the one whose body he appeared to be currently inhabiting. Maybe if he could make amends for everything he had done he could cross The Motorway and The River without mishap and join them. Sometimes when he woke up he had dreamt about reaching the lily pad he desired and for a second or two he would really believe he had done. However, how could he be back in the gutter of The Motorway if he had crossed The River and arrived in his place?

“The man really is an irritation.” System XL-1442 sighed to itself. The VWorldCruise™ system in Charles Freck’s hypersleep pod had developed a fault and the service personnel were not due to be roused for another 2 years, 14 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and 30 seconds, minimum. If Freck’s mind was left without any stimulation for so long then the results would be dire. System XL-1442 had rerouted some of its own capacity to run an old program created for exactly this kind of scenario after a similar problem had occurred on a service from Sol to Alpha Centauri, leaving several passengers in a state of permanent psychosis. Charles Freck should have been easily able to cross The Motorway and The River and then spent his time feeling content and pondering the mysteries of life but the man kept falling in the river and refusing to kick or stepping under the wheels of vehicles. It was as if he was sabotaging himself. Privately System XL-1442 had decided that Charles Freck was just too neurotic.

“I wonder if I can ever really make amends for what I’ve done,” thought Charles Freck, remembering the time when a much younger Charles Freck had lifted his pet cat up so it could swat a small songbird which thought it was safe atop the garden shed. “Maybe I’ve always been a horrible monster.”

System XL-1442 sighed. It would be a long voyage.
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Default Frogger Highwaicus Jumpens

My entry is Evolutionary-themed (exactly 300 words):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Frogger species is in danger of extinction because only a few specimen are left on earth. Man has destroyed all the Frogger's nests around the world, there's only one place left to go, and this is The Swamp Beyond the Highway. The Froggers left are migrating from their original places to find new homes in which they can live and flourish in peace. To do this, they must cross the highway lanes, a place where they will face the terror of speedy machines trying to stomp them.
But there's another stage of the evolutionary travel. Terrible predators are lurking in the swamp: the Holliegators and the Snakers. Thankfully over the centuries the Froggers have developed a friendship with the swimming Durtles which can help in the process, but be careful for some have the habit of submerging suddenly.

On the other bank there's good places to breed, but only five of them are left for each Swamp, and they must be all migrated to if the Froggers want to survive as a species. Moreover, female specimen are very scarse and if a male Frogger (green) encounters one of them (purple) in trouble, he is obliged to carry the female to the love nest.

If troubles were not enough, the Froggers also find it very difficult to have enough food for survival, because the nasty humans raised their use of pesticides, so insects are rarer than gold these days. If a Frogger sees an insect, it's better to eat it right away or it'll disappear!

If five Frogger cross one highway and get safely to their new homes, the area is populated and it's time to move on to another part of the world.
Eventually the Froggers will start to reproduce and thrive again, like the golden days of old!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

This is what I managed to come up with:

Some background: I have an assignment due next week, while trying to work on it (and playing Iphone games instead) I started to think about all the precious working and studying hours that were wasted on games like Frogger. And that's how the following story was born:

Frogcrastination (Based on a true story )

It was a beautiful day in the swamp; Frogger was locked away in his room working on his school assignment. He was staring at his Laptop screen, the screen fearlessly stared back at him, all that was written on it was: "Frogs and gender as portrayed in Internet forums by Frogger McFrog" and one line under it: "The". He couldn't think of something to write after that. He stared out the window and an idea came to his head: "Why not take my laptop and find a quiet corner outside to work, I'm sure the sun and the fresh air would help".
And so Frogger started his quest for the perfect study spot. His first attempt was on a nice piece of grass under a big tree facing the highway, Frogger found the sound of passing cars somehow relaxing. He sat down, opened the document and started writing: "The Internet is". At that moment he noticed the river bank on the other side of the highway and thought how lovely it will be to sit there just him and the sound of water.
He closed the Laptop and walked towards the highway, already planning how to cross it. He looked at the passing cars waiting for a gap in traffic and then jumped and crossed the first lane; he repeated the process for the other 3 lanes until he reached the River.
"Whoo, what a rush, I should definitely do this again some day!" He thought as he set down and opened the document again. "The Internet is full of" he managed to write before he heard someone calling him from the other side of the river: "hey! Frogger! Funny to see you here" Frogger looked up and saw his friend Bill smiling at him. "Got some time to hang out?" Bill asked. Frogger looked at the watch and decided he could spare an hour "Sure!' he cried, closed his laptop and started to jump on the logs that floated on the river to reach his friend."Watch out for alligators!" Bill warned him.
Once Frogger managed to reach his friend they talked for an hour or so, and then Frogger opened the document again, but before he could start working he noticed the time. "Oh man, I have to be home for dinner in 30 minutes." He thought "Ah well, I guess I can come back here tomorrow and finish the assignment…"
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

We're all missing the point here.

"Why did Frogger cross the road? To get to the other side."

Done.

100% brilliant, award winning content.