Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
NVegasBlazed

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default An artist, who wants to also have deeper knowledge of programming

I am getting ready to go to school for game art and design, but i have goals bigger than just that side, such as, short term goal getting degree in game art and design, then into industry, hopefully, but i have a long term goal of being able to have an in depth knowledge in programming for what i consider to be my "life project", i know trying to much at first is not the way to go. So my question is what building block things can i do that will help me over the course of many years of consistently learning programming (alongside the game art and design degree) that will give me more than a working knowledge of programming that i would get while in shcool. Maybe some starter programming suggestions, then where to try and continue updating my ability to get what i need done on the programming side?
NVegasBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2244

Start learning a language such as Python or C#, find a couple of tutorials/books and work your way up. Anything specific you really need to know?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
NVegasBlazed

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

nothing really specific jus lookn for a general direction in which to begin, i figured as much by my prior research but because this is the most focused place on the net towards exactly what i was trying to do was lookn for anything xtra that might be helpful, thanks for ur reply, i will begin lookin for a programming book to get started.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
jtmayhew

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

NVegas

I am in the same boat you are in... and I will give what experience I have. This isn't the perfect answer so draw from it what you will.

I started out with Game Maker (20$) Game engine doing gameplay scripting. It has a drag and drop interface that requires absolutely no programming experience. After you master the drag and drop routine they introduce Gamemaker language (C++ derivative) and that is where the journey begins...

I since have adopted Torque Game Builder and begun scripting in Torquescript. Another C++ programming language, I am again just scripting for gameplay. It is very complex to get into a language but all of the experiences I have had are adding to my knowledge going into every challenge I face.

It takes time, and dedication. I suggest buying "The Absolute Beginners Guide to Programming with C." It has a very down to earth explanation of computer ins and outs, and understanding what happens when you punch in that code. It probably only cost like 15$ on amazon.

All of this experience has brought me to where I am now, the beginning of making my own game.

Hope this Helps
jtmayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Ezion

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Before I give any advice, let me give my own short spiel.

Background
I started 3 years ago with C++. I learned a little there and moved onto Java. Where I really started to learn more about programming was with Game Maker 7, which handles a lot of the more mundane aspects of programming and lets you focus on manipulating 2D environments through a lot of basic programming elements (array lists, drawing functions, primitives).

From there I've moved onto ActionScript 3 which is very similar to Java but with a slightly different syntax (which is the primary difference in most languages).

I've heard that there are some languages that are easier to learn, but I had no problem starting with C++. Whichever language you choose to start learning, you will still be covering the same general techniques and problem solving abilities.

From Ground Up
My personal recommendation for starting from the ground-up would be Game Maker 7. Try to start programming in its native Game Maker Language as soon as you can as opposed to using the drag-and-drop interface. Game Maker's primary draw is instant visual results without working months to create an engine.

If you want to continue onwards with single-person development, you could try working in Flash ActionScript 3 which is now a true object-oriented programming language and will let you reach a very large audience with your work.

Start Developing
If nothing else, design a game (I strongly suggest 2D) and go figure out how to implement it. You may never complete the first game your work on, but you will learn a lot about program structure and techniques even by sewing it together in Frankensteinian fashion.

Last edited by Ezion : 05-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Ezion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
NoricGamer

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Personally I think that Adobe Flash combines vector graphics, animation and programming in a very elegant way. I started out using it primarily as a animation tool and have gotten gradually more involved with actionscript over time. It can also be used as a springboard to other languages like Java-script and C.
NoricGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
NVegasBlazed

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

thanks much appreciated
Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Sara jones
Banned