Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
3DartistRobert

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Question What are Top 10 Best Game Companies to Work for?

Hello Guys

I am starting out as a 3D Game Artist and would like to know what the top 10 best Game producing companies there are out there to work for. Any help is appreciated. I think it would be a good goal for me to strive for any one of the top ten. I like Square Enix games, but don't know where on the list they would be.
3DartistRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Which country? What area? What region? Against what criteria? Just AAA companies or all companies?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Divehammer

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Best thing to do is research the companies whose games you like to play, such as Square Enix. See what kind of projects they are working on, what are the sales figures for their titles and how they treat their employees.

Has the company laid off anyone recently (small and/or fairly new studios are an exception) or worst are they in financial trouble? Companies that gobble up studio after studio only to shut them down when things get tough is a bad sign. Companies that know how to manage money is a sign of more stability but nothing is guaranteed.

Are you going to be happy making any art or are you going to get bored cranking out WWII bombed-out buildings and characters for FPS game sequel number 9?

With that said, my list is this (based on some games or in-progress projects I like):

Bioware
Blizzard
Bungie
Cryptic Studios
Day 1 Studios
Epic Games
id Software
Ready at Dawn
Vigil Games
Valve
Divehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Gamasutras top 20
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=17756
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

This is always a tough question to answer. As Adrir points out, against what criteria?

Are you looking for the companies that produce the most games? The games which are most frequently top rated? A company that offers the most favourable salary? What about benefits packages and work conditions?

I'm in no position to answer this myself, but if you flesh your question out a little more, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out.

As an aside, I've heard that Ubisoft has some great working conditions as well.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
3DartistRobert

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Adrir and Kodiak, your right. For me at least I am looking to work for a big AAA Game Developement company that good quality games more over than quantity. One with a good environment to work in with benefits packages and good work conditions.

Right now I live in Canada, Ontario and would like to work up to the AAA game companies via the other smaller good ones. The smaller ones I'll have to seek out in my area, however for the AAA companies I'm open to travel if the prospect is good enough.

Divehammer, you are right as well, I need to do more research. You have good insight, I do have to consider the long haul of work and projects.

Gshonk, good article and input.

Ideally I'd like to work for a company that handles different types of game projects and not just one type like FPS, although I do love them
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
3DartistRobert

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I guess the question now is:

What are the Top 10 Best AAA Game Companies to Work for that have good benefits, work conditions, and handle more than one type of game project (aka FPS)?