Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Writing
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
HaWkAgE

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Well i was only bringing up Tertris to prove a point such as repetition, certain points to progress, the annoying part where you spend hours trying to beat your last score. Same concepts of a Final Fantasy game. You know? Anyway i know the flaws of the franchise and alot of RPG's, however i still like them.
That comment about whever i go back for story or gameplay it's both:-
1. To beat the, let's say enemy boss/thingy.
2. To see what happens next.
3. To obtain what weapons/potions/characters next.

A good game is the experience the game leads on your right yes, gameplay is obviously the major part of it. It depends on the player/reviewer on his/her tastes for that particular genre to define a good game. However maybe i'm just thinking too much with what i've been writing here, i just think there's some great opertunities to make the gaming industry more heard of and obviously Journalism is the key for marketing.

On a side note, is there any game that has been released in the new year you find to be a good game? I just see not alot of great games in today's market. Too many sequals and spin off games about nowadays, not much room for original games i see.
HaWkAgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Quote:
the annoying part where you spend hours trying to beat your last score. Same concepts of a Final Fantasy game.
Bettering your (or someone else's) score may only take a few minutes or a few days but it is reliant on skill and planning and the goal of the game is get the highest score possible, not beat another score (which is considered metagame). It is a matter of choice and personal goal.

In FF, there are times where you can't progress at all through game till you have levelled up your characters (no matter how skillful you are) which directly impedes the willingness to progress through the story. (At least it was when I last played an FF game).

Also personally, I don't find the battles or the metagame enjoyable enough on their own to play through the entire game.

Games this year? House of the Dead Overkill, SF4 and Dawn of War II are games I have brought and enjoyed this year.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #13
HaWkAgE

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
In FF, there are times where you can't progress at all through game till you have levelled up your characters (no matter how skillful you are) which directly impedes the willingness to progress through the story. (At least it was when I last played an FF game).
Yeah it's kind of a trial and error situation with FF games. If one idea doesn't work you think of something else, it's the knowledge of the game which results in your skills of how to play the game, yes? This is one of the reasons i like FF series is working on your characters skills and perfecting them to your own style, of course any FF older than 7 wouldn't really have this as to 12 now.

Personally if you want a good RPG i'de go for Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II. I'm sure if you havn't already played these two games then it may change your views of a good RPG. Sure it's Disney themed and abit childish but it's a great RPG with a twist in how to play it. It's not turn based attacks, which is good and not random enemy encounters, which you HAVE to fight 9/10 times on nearly all FF games. You don't have to be all knowing at RPG's to play it either, you control one character and have 2 characters with you who attack enemies themselves. You get multiple attack combo's which you control each move. You do have some basic RPG characteristics with spells, potions, and weapon upgrades, which makes this game work. Try it out if you havn't already

HOTD4 looks good, abit of a dramatic step from Nintendo as they have been going overboard with alot of children games :|. SF4? Sorry i don't know what that stands for my mind has gone blank lol. DOW2, yeah i would get that too if i had a computer but sadly stand with just a laptop right now. No real exciting games really coming though.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

SF4 = Streetfighter 4

Quote:
Personally if you want a good RPG
I didn't say FF was a bad game, just doesn't appeal to me. The game is far too long for me to be an enjoyable experience and the battle system is unappealing to me to play the game. Most of the Square Enix games don't appeal to me for those reasons.

Zelda, Metroid, Shadowrun (Snes), Secret of Mana, Dawn of War II and Diablo (I and II) are some examples of RPGs I like.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
HaWkAgE

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Yeah it's cool mate I've enjoyed our... Debate? Well yeah once i get some cash rolling in i'll give you a bell on a review of a new game some time and see what you think.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #16
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Out of interest, have you watched Yahtzee's reviews of games?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Rez would be a good example, good combination of sound and visuals makes playing the game a good experience despite the basic gameplay mechanic being rather simple and unimaginative.
Big fat lies. I've played a clone of Rez with everything else cut out, and it's still quite a bit of fun. It wasn't the same, but it was fun.

Of course, I've played Guitar Hero with no sound on a regular controller, and it's still fun, so I can see your point :P
Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #18
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
Big fat lies. I've played a clone of Rez with everything else cut out, and it's still quite a bit of fun. It wasn't the same, but it was fun.
When did I say it wasn't fun? All I said was that the "the basic gameplay mechanic being rather simple and unimaginative".
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
Ziriux

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

Owned Hawkage j/k pal.

I think a review should focus on: technical aspects, as well as playability and lastly it should be an opinion. I hate it how a lot of times people will just write out an opinion but not praise the game technical aspects. For example, the other day someone said that Ninja Gaiden 2 didn't have variety, so it made it dull, but they forgot to mention the game runs at 60 frames per second and that the animation and the blood is superior to most other games in the genre.
Ziriux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziriux View Post
For example, the other day someone said that Ninja Gaiden 2 didn't have variety, so it made it dull, but they forgot to mention the game runs at 60 frames per second and that the animation and the blood is superior to most other games in the genre.
As a consumer, I could care less whether it runs at 30 or 60. If it is dull, then I don't want to play regardless of how good it is technically. Depending on the target audience, the reviewer shouldn't write about it.