Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Avellana

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default 3d Character Modeler...but what do I take in College?

I live in Las Vegas and was going to apply for the Art Institute but can't go cause it is too expensive and I do not have a co-signer to help me get loans. So I am first going to the community college of southern nevada, they acually have an associate of applied science degree there for animation (here is the courses for that) http://sites.csn.edu/dmorgan/PublicA...egrees_143.pdf .

But the thing is I want to become a 3d modeler and get better in art also, so should I get this degree and then take alot of art classes? Or do you most likely need a 4 year college degree to get into the buisness?
Avellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Virgil

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

I'm in a community college doing an AAS in 3D Art & Animation / Game Art, and I think its fine. You'll still learn 3D stuff, so as long as you can do it well enough with a portfolio. I considered getting a degree afterwards, but it felt like a waste of money, especially since most schools will charge about 20 times as much. Although I plan on doing an internship as well.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Avellana,
The classes here look fine for learning your basics in 3d. I see they have Character Modeling. Introduction to 3d Conceptional Design might cover some modeling basics, check with the teacher who teaches that class or look in the catalog to see what this class covers. If it does not cover basic modeling try to learn inorganic modeling first before your Character Modeling class in your own spare time these are your basic shapes such as sphere, cube, cylinder etc... Download Maya Personal learning edition which is free. There are plenty of websites that have Maya tutorials and you can see if your library has any books on Maya so you can learn some modeling basics. Learning to draw in 2d will help with your 3d skills. Life drawing will help with your Character Modeling. You can take some basic drawing classes at your school or you can teach yourself to draw either way get the books “How to Draw What You See” by Rudy de Reyna and “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” by Betty Edwards these books will help you learn to draw. Follow these books and once you understand and learn the techniques in these books you can draw just about anything. The library should have these books too.
Once you get your Associate degree transfer to the Art Institute then your tuition won’t be as high. Take as many classes as you can at your Community college that the Art Institute has for the first two years of school.
You don’t need a four year degree to get in they will look at your portfolio first and it must be really awesome however, if you have a four year degree that adds bonus points. Get your Associates, work on a killer portfolio in your spare time, and then transfer to the Art Institute if you still want to go there.
Any other questions let me know. Thanks, LadyAurora!!
ladyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Avellana

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thank you so much!!! You have given me inspiration again, lol. I do not know if I can transfer credits to the Art Institute but i'll have to look that up or ask them. But I will most likely be doing what you said. I really really need to start practicing drawing and I have a list of the classes that the Art Institute would have me do so i'll knock those out of the way.
Avellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Avellana,

The credits should transfer especially all of your general classes and most of your major classes should too. Yes, check with the Art Institute to make sure what will transfer, and also meet with your counselor at your community college he/she should be able to help you with what will transfer.

No problem any other questions just send me a private message!
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Great info ladyaurora. I just wanted to emphasize that one of the hardest things to do in 3d modeling is character modeling. Also, any modeler will tell you the only way to go from understanding to mastering a modeling package is to practice it over and over. It's great that you have classes to help guide your modeling efforts but make sure you understand that just fulfilling class requirements usually isn't enough. Plan on spending your free time as well as your class time in Maya or Max.

Also - you can ask modeling questions here as well. I don't see many actual development questions roll through here on the art side, but I know many frequent visitors to this website are modeling experts.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
DockRock

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39
Talking

Hello fellow Las Vegan, I graduated from the Art Institute of Las Vegas in 2005 with a Bachelor's Degree in Media Arts and Animation, and I currently work for a local Video game studio here in town as a texture artist. Although I am definitely happy with my school experience at the AI, I bear the burden of a hefty price tag that I will be paying on for quite some time! 15-20 years I believe. I have talked to fellow co-workers and friends who have attended ITT out here as well and they too bear the burden of a hefty post grad price tag! LadyAurora has some great advice suggesting going to community college first and getting an Associates degree! You're going to take the same classes and learn the same programs at CSN that you would at the AI. College only teaches you the basics of the programs, it really is up to you to learn and practice the craft on your own! I veered away from doing any sort of 3D work for almost 2 years before jumping back into 3D and building a new portfolio. I learned a lot of new things in forums and on individual artists websites. It's amazing how many useful things you can learn from sites like 3Dtotal, Simply3D and even investing in a few DVDs from the Gnomon Workshop! Take the cheap college route first and push yourself to learn as much as you can, and then decide whether or not it's worth it to you to plunge into deep debt just for a degree.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Thanks Zooch! Thanks Dock! Right back at ya!