Get the latest Education e-news

Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Korkesh

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default A free compiler

Hello, I'm a high school student aiming to get into the industry of programming games. I'm trying to teach myself C++ in my free time but I can't seem to find a compiler for C++ that works well with vista. I was using bloodshed DevC++ but once I upgraded to vista it does not seem to work any longer. I have tried going on to the site for support but sadly it seems that the program is no longer updated.

I am just wondering if there are any good recommendations for a beginner programmer. Thanks in advance.
Korkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
dzeligman

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss88

Visual Studio Express edition or see if you're highschool is part of http://www.dreamspark.com
dzeligman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
DTR

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Yup.
VS EE 2008 should be enough for pretty much any student needs.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Korkesh

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Thanks for the quick response and help, VS EE seems to work really nicely, and thanks for linking me to the dreamspark, I'll have to check and see if my school offers it.
Korkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
nef

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58
Default Yikes!

For windows and your actually question, I agree w/ the posts above. However:

Everyone might hate me, (including myself 2+ years ago), but I reccomdend you dual boot the latest distribution of Ubuntu and write your code in Linux.

Use VIM as an editor. Learn it. You may just love it (as I have :P )

The reason I reccomdend this is, it kinda forces you to understand certain things that you aren't forced to under a Visual Studio enviorment.

For instance, code completion. It is a VERY useful and GREAT tool. But if you learn to deal w/ out it, you're forced to build a understanding of the code base you work in, to make up for it.

You also understand the compiling -> linking phases more, because you have to perform each explicitly. To me, this recommendation falls under the same fundamental reasons a person might reccomdend assembly/C as a starting language over Java. You learn a bunch of shit that isn't really needed anymore, but is still important if you really wana know what you're doing.

Oh, but there are advantages to Linux/Unix development. For instance, anything that dosn't have to do w/ code editing and debugging, is better. Linux tools like grep, sed, find, and bash (including it's scripting language) are all 10x better than the windows equivalent.

Linux provides a ton of tools that by default, you wont know wtf to even do w/ but after time couldn't live w/o
nef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss684

I think the Visual Studio Express editions are great, but it is thoroughly annoying when you suddenly need a component that isn't included (MFC, for example).