Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Default [RESULTS UP!] Game Design Challenge: Fresh Horror

We have a new Game Design Challenge posted -- one that aims at invigorating horror in games with a fresh take!

Check it out here.

Please note: the submission email address has changed, so please make sure to email the new address.

Results

Last edited by Adrir : 04-07-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Added link to results to reflect change in thread title
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Talanar

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Hello,

Sorry to ask a lame question but I couldn't find the answer for it anywhere in the forums: Can one person submit more than 1 idea for the challange??

T.
Talanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
toyoka

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss193

I'm sure you can, but only the latest one will be read I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong

toyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

I think in the past, submitting multiple entries was allowed, yet frowned upon. Under the new regime, however... Who knows!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
simonc
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss25

I think that accurately reflects our view as well. We don't BLOCK multiple entries, but we pretty much presume you might as well spend your time on making one good one.

Ta!
Simon.
[Game Career Guide Publisher.]
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
The Snee

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Hello everyone, I just signed up

This is essentially a big part of what I'm doing for my Game Design Masters.
If I jotted up a 500 word synopsis of what I'm doing that would be appropriate for this, would that be acceptable?
The Snee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

This one is definitely mine. I LOVE the Survival Horror genre, lately, there hasn't been enough ideas for REAL Survival Horror. What I mean is this, they've been lacking the Survival aspect of Survival Horror. Limited ammunition, trying to just survive without being able to get their hands on weapons very often, etc... And there hasn't been much of a scare in games nowadays. Perhaps in Siren games, however, I feel Survival Horror is being abandoned somewhat slowly and being replaced with the idea of action and such.

By the way, does there HAVE to be combat in the game? I know that may sound weird, however, some horror games lack actual combat.

Last edited by Siberianhusky89 : 03-21-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
The Snee

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
By the way, does there HAVE to be combat in the game? I know that may sound weird, however, some horror games lack actual combat.
Quote:
For the next challenge, the task is as simple as coming up with a horror game that doesn't rely on the tropes established by the Resident Evil series -- principally combat, but we'll let your imaginations run wild.
I'm assuming that means a game that doesn't rely on combat as the primary mechanic is preferable, but we can do whatever. So yeah, as far as I can tell, we don't need combat.
The Snee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
keefka

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Default Horror

Hey,

This one was really interesting, I think the idea that horror in games is about some massive over the top supernatural force of evil is a little OTT. So much could be made of real suspense, a more personal experience.

I think so far my idea is purely a story in my mind but is something like this:

Our hero has vivid dreams every night but recently his dreams have felt a little too real. In fact to call them dreams at all is incorrect as they are much more like nightmares. However, these are not nightmares about monsters or unknown evils, night after night he lives the last moments of peoples lives, unless that is, he can save them. Whether he is trying to escape a burning building, being mugged by a deranged drug addict or fighting a war in another country, every night sleep brings him closer to those everyday terrors we choose to ingore.

The game would probably reveal some sort of link between the deaths and the hero, it would no doubt have some sort of investigative and action based challenges.

The main focus is the gameplay itself which will be a borad stroke of different gameplay types, from leading people out of disaster zones to driving in a police chase. This means there will be other factors included, so if he dreams of being an overweight middle aged man he may move slower but might have other talents to use it to his advantage.

Its like 'quantum leap' but more scary.

This idea is by no means finished and needs fleshing out as it were.
keefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
cojpatterson

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefka View Post
Hey,

This one was really interesting, I think the idea that horror in games is about some massive over the top supernatural force of evil is a little OTT. So much could be made of real suspense, a more personal experience.

I think so far my idea is purely a story in my mind but is something like this:

Our hero has vivid dreams every night but recently his dreams have felt a little too real. In fact to call them dreams at all is incorrect as they are much more like nightmares. However, these are not nightmares about monsters or unknown evils, night after night he lives the last moments of peoples lives, unless that is, he can save them. Whether he is trying to escape a burning building, being mugged by a deranged drug addict or fighting a war in another country, every night sleep brings him closer to those everyday terrors we choose to ingore.

The game would probably reveal some sort of link between the deaths and the hero, it would no doubt have some sort of investigative and action based challenges.

The main focus is the gameplay itself which will be a borad stroke of different gameplay types, from leading people out of disaster zones to driving in a police chase. This means there will be other factors included, so if he dreams of being an overweight middle aged man he may move slower but might have other talents to use it to his advantage.

Its like 'quantum leap' but more scary.

This idea is by no means finished and needs fleshing out as it were.
I like this idea. It gives promise to what video games can do over other art forms, namely that ability to interact as different people and in your concept you can interact as multiple people. I just wanted to note a couple of things to help flesh out your idea, or at least what I can imagine being advantageous in considering.

Your concept is at its core a great way in dealing with death in video games. In the past Survival Horror games have used death in games as a redirect to an earlier checkpoint to allow the player to continue the game's story and mechanics. With your concept though, you can have death occur and have it seamlessly continue the story because the player character is not the one harmed. Also, there's more meaning to the choice on the player's psyche due to something (even if it's something as abstract as a secondary character) being lost at fault of the player.

Your game also allows for interesting narrative design in that the main mechanic of death can be exploited by the developers for dramatic effect. For example, all the nightmares seem convincingly conquerable, the end goal is clear and present and with the right amount of skill the goal can be achieved. The precedent is established throughout the majority of the game. Where the developers can cheat in breaking that rule, by making the player's decisions meaningless for a split second. Even if the player succeeds in the game's objectives, a game character can be forced to die. In this instance themes of death's finality, and the futility of opposing "fate" can definitely be explored.

All these things considered, your focus on variance of the game's mechanics is already a solid concept. I'll be interested in how your design is iterated upon.

Take care,

O.J.
cojpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote