Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
josue100

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Thumbs down best schools for game design?

Hi my name is Josue colon and i'm a junior here in Puerto Rico and im going to visit Itt-tech in Nashville,TN this summer to learn about there game design program. Now my question is did anyone go to this school to study and is the program good because is the only place i can go because my aunt lives there and my parents don't hace all the money in the world to send me somewhere else?
josue100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Thats a tough one. I have not heard a lot about ITT-tech and thus cannot comment. Though you do have an option. If you are unsure maybe you can stop by the school for a tour first. Ignore what the employees say because they are just trying to make a sale. Instead ask the students. They are the ones going through the experience, they know what they are talking about. More then likely you will have the same opinion as the majority.

Do not expect to have everyone say it's great her or it sucks here. Some people may be more art oriented and get frustrated with programming courses and vice versa so they will have a negative view. However if the vast majority is RUN! I would suggest that you take a term off before attending and try and study on your own. Also if you work and save during this time you may be able to afford to go to another place.

It mostly comes down to willpower. Everything you need to know about making games is online. All the code, modeling methods, texturing, writing, GDD, TDD, Marketing, Even design cycle. If you have a ridiculous amount of willpower , lock yourself in a room and learn it all without spending a cent. People on forums can answer questions, it makes them feel smart (see yea im smart ) and you get the help you need. Also the people posting are sometimes instructors anyway.

However if you have a low amount of willpower and get distracted easily then I would suggest that you take courses because it will give you that boost that is needed. I'm kinda like that so I took a course and then took off, I have graduated and am now able to learn on my own. It's like my will power went into SSJ4(<-Dragon Ball reference ) or something. Sometimes all that is needed is a kick start and challenging yourself to do the best things you can possibly do.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
BretWardle

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Josue,

See my reply in the "Getting Started" threads regarding ITT's program... I am a current ITT student.

HagNasty makes some very great points though. No matter what course/degree path you take it comes down to willpower. You have to be willing to spend time outside of class learning and applying this stuff. No matter where you study there are going to be gaps in your education, and it is your responsibility to fill them. If you really love this stuff it comes pretty easy though. I personally love sitting down and reading technical articles about this industry (as well as writing them... I had a GameCareerGuide.com feature published last month). I suggest you just emerge yourself in the industry wherever you go to school.

Bret Wardle
BretWardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Maj Boomer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

I have just started the Game and Simulation Programming degree program with DeVry Online. I have enjoyed it so far. It seemed to me to be one of the most comprehensive programs out there. I work and have a family, so the online component has been great for my flexability requirements.

While I can not speak for the ITT game program, but I have worked with some of their electronics graduates and have not been impressed at all with the skills they came out with. I base that on many experiences with many of their former students in that area.
Maj Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote