Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Halo Girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss97
Default Advice on Game Design

Hey,

Well I have stated to becme more and more interested in the games industry, and I just want to do some research into it, but especially the design area, as that is something I'm interested in. As I am currently looking at set/stage design as a career.

However, I do think it would be cool to get into the game industry etc.. and so I want to know about it.

Therefore I am creating this thread to ask you to give me advice, point me in the right direction. The usual stuff people ask when they're not sure.

I have been looking through the forums picking out threads to read, and those with links in to read at some point. I will also try and look myself for something on the net. But I'd be really grateful if anyone would suggest any books to read is game design?

Thank you, in advance.

Halo Girl
Halo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Read the 2008 Game Career Guide: http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/g...08careerguide/

There are sections on Game Designer roles that will be useful.

Sloperama's FAQ is also informative: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Rules of Play is highly recommended as well: http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...ype=2&tid=9802
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
BorisK

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

dont u need some basic programming and some level editor knowledge..........i think
BorisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
mdzitter

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisK View Post
dont u need some basic programming and some level editor knowledge..........i think
This is a partial misconception.

You don't need to be a programmer to be a designer. Yes, you are well served if you know some scripting languages, but you don't need to be a C++ whiz to be a designer.

You do need to have a portfolio, and creating mods with level editors is a great way to build one. So yes, you should learn some level editors and use them to make your ideas a reality.
mdzitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Halo Girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss97

Thanks Yauster - When I get time will have a look at those links.

And maybe so Borisk, but I'm going to research into the area before I consider trying to learn basic programming... but If I do, I'll probably ask my boyfriend to help me. And for level editing, having a go at Hammer on Source SDK at the moment.

But at the moment as I am doing a Drama degree, and looking at Set Design, I am using google sketch up and planning to get Adobe Creative suite... when I save up to buy it.

So I have 2 different but yet very similar career options open to me, which either one will have transferable skills to the other. I am currently building up portfolios for my set design things, so in those I will hopefully be adding some CAD stuff to them.

Last edited by Halo Girl : 04-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
mdzitter

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo Girl View Post
So I have 2 different but yet very similar career options open to me, which either one will have transferable skills to the other. I am currently building up portfolios for my set design things, so in those I will hopefully be adding some CAD stuff to them.
Make sure to remember, when the time comes, that you are going to need to sell and prove the idea that these two disciplines have transferable skills.

The standard HR person isn't going to look at your set design work and say, "hey, this definitely transfers to games," They are going to look at it and say, "cool, now what have you done in games?"
mdzitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Halo Girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdzitter View Post
Make sure to remember, when the time comes, that you are going to need to sell and prove the idea that these two disciplines have transferable skills.

The standard HR person isn't going to look at your set design work and say, "hey, this definitely transfers to games," They are going to look at it and say, "cool, now what have you done in games?"
I know. I wasn't saying that. Just saying the skills I will have learnt will be transferable. Not saying I would just show them my set stuff. I have just got interested in this, I've got a long way to go yet, Like 2 years left of my degree and post grad in scenography, before I even get into the performing arts industry, let alone the games industry. However, I am at the moment dabbling in Hammer... lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
bittman

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo Girl View Post
But at the moment as I am doing a Drama degree, and looking at Set Design, I am using google sketch up and planning to get Adobe Creative suite... when I save up to buy it.

Firstly: What sort of Drama degree are we talking? How many years, will you be following it up with anything, what certificate do you come out with, etc?

Secondly: I'm going to go out on a limb and assume, given your comments, that you may actually be more suited to level design rather than game design. Already from the early projects you have selected, you've taken an immediate liking to the idea of projects in adobe creative, google sketch up, CAD and SourceSDK which are all great level design portfolio works. Though "level design" and "game design" often have a merger somewhere, most companies separate them with a thick line.

If you're interested in set design, but think the games industry would be a good path, level design seems to be the progression you're looking for here. You can move from there to game design, but honestly I would, from your position, hone my level design skills, get a job and then see if you would prefer sticking with level design or moving to game design.
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
SansPants

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

The only real advice I can give is: you wouldn't be the first game designer I've heard of that has a degree in drama.
SansPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Halo Girl

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittman View Post
Firstly: What sort of Drama degree are we talking?
It is a BA (Hons) Drama Studies.

Quote:
How many years
Three in total, just finishing my first year.

Quote:
will you be following it up with anything
Yes I plan to do a Post Graduate in Scenography. For example something like this.

Quote:
what certificate do you come out with, etc?
Well for my degree, no idea what grading I'll come out with... But I'll come out with a degree... Nor do I have a clue round abouts what I'll come out with seeing as first year doesn't count.

Quote:
Already from the early projects you have selected, you've taken an immediate liking to the idea of projects in adobe creative
I currently do not have Adobe Creative, and main reason I mentioned it was because I read an article saying that is what most Set Designers use, and what the Performing Arts Industry expects you to use. Therefore, I want to get it, so I can try out stuff on it, and basically get used to it.

Quote:
google sketch up
This is program I will mostly be using whilst on this degree. Our Tech Lecturer recommended this to use... as it was free and quite good.

Quote:
and SourceSDK
Only just installed it and just started to play around with it. So not the greatest person at it.

Quote:
If you're interested in set design, but think the games industry would be a good path, level design seems to be the progression you're looking for here.
Well I am interested in Set Design and about going into the Performing Arts Industry. However, I am also interested in the Games Industry, but I need to do a lot more research into this industry before I can definitely say 'Yes' I will definitely consider it. I mentioned Games Design in a general sense, I really do not know much about it at this moment in time, that's why I originally asked for people to suggest websites, articles and books to read.