jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Advice and Updates

Hi everyone!

Jill Duffy here, former editor of GameCareerGuide, just dropping in to say hello, read about what some of you have been doing, and share some thoughts and observations.

1. Breaking into Game Development. For those of you just beginning to think about going into game development, especially those about to enter a degree program, I wholeheartedly endorse studying computer science. Now more than ever, programmers are the people in demand. If you are concerned about your mathematical abilities, consider a double major or making computer science your minor.

2. Resumes/CVs. I've had the opportunity to get some new career advice from people outside the game industry, and something that's becoming popular on resumes/CVs is the use of a "summary" statement at the top. Unlike the outdated "objective" (if you have an objective, get rid of it!), the summary doesn't talk about you finding a job, but instead positions you with a title or area of expertise, much like a business card does. It answers the questions, "Who or what is this person, and what makes her valuable?" in 1 to 3 clauses or sentences. Be sure what you write matches the job in question each time you apply for one.

For example: "Assistant Producer with 4 years' office experience. Project management experience in corporate setting and game experience on indie and student projects. Highly knowledgeable about iPhone applications."

3. Personal Update. I've recently joined the steering committee for an upcoming east-coast game summit called GameX. The committee is throwing around some great ideas at the moment for both an industry-focused summit and the larger consumer-focused event. Drop me a line if you would like to request a speaker or topic to be covered at the show!

Gshonk: Thanks for the GDC recaps on your blog.

Thanks also to D.McClure and Adrir for poking me to drop in again on the forum!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillduffy View Post
Hi everyone!
Hey Jiill,

It's nice to see you here again! I hope everything is going well with the GameX summit. Thanks for sharing those pointers with us!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

Welcome again, Jill! Thanks for the resume tips, I'm sure those will come in handy

I read briefly about GameX but can't find all of the info at the moment. Can you tell us where/when, fees, and any other pertinent info? Will there be any learning sessions like GDC or is it more like E3?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:

3. Personal Update. I've recently joined the steering committee for an upcoming east-coast game summit called GameX. The committee is throwing around some great ideas at the moment for both an industry-focused summit and the larger consumer-focused event. Drop me a line if you would like to request a speaker or topic to be covered at the show!
JILL we have missed you so .
I am pretty pumped myself for GameX because it is in my city!! I met with a bunch of the members of the IGDA here in Philly last week and we are gonna make this thing awesome!

Quote:
Gshonk: Thanks for the GDC recaps on your blog.
You are welcome :P
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss695

Nice to hear from you again! The recent design challenges have been pitiful. Have you seen the current one about Mario's profession? Things were better when you were here.
Oh, and thanks for the resume heads-up. I thought my objective was a pretty spiffy element... :P
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

Hey Jill,
Great to hear from you again We really do miss you over here...
Thanks for the update and the advice
Facebook profile
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

GameX will be mostly a consumer show, but there is an industry summit in the works, too. It will be held Oct. 23-25 in Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia, I believe.

Ticket information is not yet available. I don't have too much info to spout at the moment, but I'll share more when I know more: http://www.gamexpo.us/

Thanks for the love!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Hey Jill great to hear from you again!

Quote:
2. Resumes/CVs. I've had the opportunity to get some new career advice from people outside the game industry, and something that's becoming popular on resumes/CVs is the use of a "summary" statement at the top.
Thanks for this information about the summary on a CV. I now think I've got a winning opening for my CV.

Quote:
Glad to hear you're still dishing out great advice for us aspiring game developers and are still involved with the industry. Looking forward to more info on GameX.

Don't be a stranger.

Junction 5 Studios | Twitter | Werdz Movies FB page
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote