Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default My Plan For A Job In Game Production

Hello all,
My name is Corey, I live in Reno NV, and this fall I will enter my local community college for two years then the state college for two more. I have three things in life I want to achieve before I die; earn my blackbelt in Aikido, master the Japanese language, and land succesful career in video game production either here in America or in Japan.

As for pertaining to the latter of those three, and after a modest amount of research, I have outlined a plan to someday get the game job that I want.

1) Over the summer learn a scripting language. Im choosing to learn Actionscript 3 via www.lynda.com and create a few flash games that I can put on a resume someday. My goal is to create at least 1 new game each summer untill I graduate.

2)Get an A.S. at the community college with a major in Administrative Assistant. I feel that this is best major my community college offers for an aspiring game producer.

3)Transfer my junior college credits to the state university and earn an B.S. in Management with a minor in Japanese studies. I feel that this is best degree my state university offers for my desired career.

4)Attempt to found a successful game devolpement club at school or in the local community to gain some experience leading a team. (I realize that this will be a LOT harder that it sounds.)

5) Gain my blackbelt before I apply for a job. I know a friend who put on a resume that hed earned Eagle Scout and he said it gave him a nice edge over the competition. I guess I'm under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that a blackbelt in a Japanese martial art could do the same for me.

6) Four years later attend GDC, E3, PAX, and other various conventions while peddling my resume and building networks looking for that dream job offer. (Again I know how hard this sounds).

So that's the current plan. What do you guys think? How implausable do you think it sounds. Is there anything more I could be doing or any unessacary steps that should be cut for the sake of the greater good?
arcadeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Welcome to the Forum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeninja View Post
5) Gain my blackbelt before I apply for a job. I know a friend who put on a resume that hed earned Eagle Scout and he said it gave him a nice edge over the competition. I guess I'm under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that a blackbelt in a Japanese martial art could do the same for me.
Can't hurt, I put Rugby player on mine and people have said it made me stand out. Plus you can use it to intimidate them jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeninja View Post
6) Four years later attend GDC, E3, PAX, and other various conventions while peddling my resume and building networks looking for that dream job offer. (Again I know how hard this sounds).
Why wait four years? Start attending now, if money is a problem try doing the volunteer programs for the conference, this generally gets you free access. The sooner you can go to GDC and start networking, especially when not looking for a job, the better off you will be.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
dariusk

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
Why wait four years? Start attending now, if money is a problem try doing the volunteer programs for the conference, this generally gets you free access. The sooner you can go to GDC and start networking, especially when not looking for a job, the better off you will be.
Grant is right. Go sooner rather than later.

http://tinysubversions.blogspot.com/...ly-advice.html
dariusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

My god you're right. Why didn't I think of that? That's fantastic advice thanks.
arcadeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Jaccident

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
Can't hurt, I put Rugby player on mine and people have said it made me stand out.
That's very different though, Rugby player screams out going, team player, works well with others. Akido screams sociopathy.

While I'd certainly not say it's a waste of time (I did some myself and thoroughly enjoyed it) I'd say things that are more likely to make you stand out are team activities, especially ones promoting discipline and team work. I joined the TA (National Reserves in the UK) and the experience gained set me apart. If guns etc. aren't your bag try your hand at something similar, your friends Eagle Scouting for example.
Jaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Any martial arts that you receive a black belt in implies discipline, focus and the ability to finish something, not sociopathy.

I have explored several different styles of martial arts over the years and have worked with many partners to learn and practice all the different moves needed for each belt succession.

Keep up the good work arcadeninja and get that black belt!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyaurora View Post
Any martial arts that you receive a black belt in implies discipline, focus and the ability to finish something, not sociopathy.
I have to agree, that is an important skill. And who knows you might make a fighting game or an action game that can use that knowledge.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Your extra-cirricular activities are going to have a wide range of different impacts based on who is reading your resume. If I was reading a resume and it had that the person was a black belt, I wouldn't care unless I was designing a game that utilized martial arts. It's important that you continually improve yourself in every aspect of your life (such as earning the black belt) but keep in mind I'd rather hire someone that has the skills I need to develop a video game.

I guess what I'm saying is that a black belt would indeed show discipline, focus and the ability to finish something, but so would credits on a shipped title, which is something I can find in abundance these days with the current economy. You can put it on your resume, but understand that the other 5 points on your list are more important than this one.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
I guess what I'm saying is that a black belt would indeed show discipline, focus and the ability to finish something, but so would credits on a shipped title, which is something I can find in abundance these days with the current economy. You can put it on your resume, but understand that the other 5 points on your list are more important than this one.
Of course. I was just saying if I had two equal candidates, or a mass of similar candidates, it would stick out. For example if you are at a school and all of the Sr. class bring you their Resumes and they are the same, this would make you stick out. It doesn't replace exp. but it can still help you stand out.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Quote:
LOL! I was just stating that martial arts is not sociopathy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
I have to agree, that is an important skill. And who knows you might make a fighting game or an action game that can use that knowledge.
Thanks, Grant you're right, I know someone who got a job at a game company just for that skill, I had forgotten about that.